PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Belichick lost his place in posterity

I know, the tomato thing is weird, but the result was otherwise so perfect I saw no point in trying again!

1712176386697.png

It's nice to see the thread has moved off of the stale Brady vs Belichick argument and on to the fresh and exciting subject of the Butler benching. I was afraid we'd never get around to discussing what happened there.

Can you imagine after the Super Bowl if BB had come out and said “Malcolm Butler is an alcoholic and showed up to work drunk.”

He would have lost his entire locker room, no free agents would trust him and the players association might bring an action against him.

But hey… at least the BB haters here would have their answer.
You're taking an imaginary scenario and making up an imaginary Belichick comment in response to that imaginary scenario, and then the imaginary consequences of that imaginary comment, to support and praise Bill Belichick and criticize the "BB haters".

This, folks. This is what I meant when I talk about how the Belichick krishnas have lost their minds.

Last edited:
You’re sort of talking like he was worse than Myles Bryant, and even Bryant could make a play in-between giving up a big gain. And Butler wasn’t great but he was certainly adequate in the postseason.

In the end, they played short handed that game and needed him. I don’t fault Bill for much but that’s one I’ll never get over.
I can only think of a handful of times in 20 years that I didn't like a BB move. That was one of them.

You're taking an imaginary scenario and making up an imaginary Belichick comment in response to that imaginary scenario, and then the imaginary consequences of that imaginary comment, to support and praise Bill Belichick and criticize the "BB haters".

This, folks. This is what I meant when I talk about how the Belichick krishnas have lost their minds.
Isn't that what you're doing if you blame Bill? imagining that the punishment didn't fit the crime?

I've never felt comfortable assuming either way. I like Butler and Bill too much. I kind of figured we'd know by now though.

I can provide a hundred examples of me slamming a BB decision going back to the start of the dynasty.

BB Krishnas don't exist. I'm a Patriot Krishna, and also enjoy the search for the truth.

You have an agenda, stop projecting.

I’ve never seen a situation where people fault a coach for having success having fought and put his job on the line for that player and then having success for said player. It’s just strange to me.
I read this 3 times and still can't understand it.

Getting back to our other discussion, I feel like having a Cassel-esque QB would have seen 2022 and 2023 go differently, especially last season. Although if Bill’s record was above .500, the next discussion would be his playoff record and/or a lack of a Super Bowl if that Cassel-esque QB didn’t win one.

And I won’t get into Cassel’s record without Bill because I’d be willing to bet he may have fared better had he stayed here.

But that would be a player I do believe he could have had success with and I’m still annoyed we didn’t get to see how Cassel would have fared in the postseason that year given how well they played down the stretch.
You think Cassell is a better QB than Testaverde, Cam Newton and Mac Jones?

Why do you think Belichick traded him in '09? He only carried two QBs that season, so there was room for him.

Tuneless, :rofl:

Screenshot_20240403_190547_Chrome.jpg

Why do you think Belichick traded him in '09? He only carried two QBs that season, so there was room for him.
Lol, Because he got a really good offer and Tom was coming back. Really interested in hearing what you think the reason was lol.

I'd say Testeverde was a little better and went on to be the better of the 2. Cassell was definitely better than Mac. Cam obviously was way better in his prime but you could make a case either way by the time we had him (on one hand he could still run and maybe that was still enough that he was still better but Cassell was definitely a better passer than 2020 Cam not even close).

I can only think of a handful of times in 20 years that I didn't like a BB move. That was one of them.
I didn't like it either but in the back of my mind I think maybe there was a reasonable explanation that makes sense, sadly we'll probably never know.

I do - at least where Cam Newton was in 2020 and where Jones ended up in 2022+2023.

LOL, and you know why he traded him in 2009. :cool:

My god... because Cassel was going to be a free agent and Bill had the best QB in the NFL on his roster.

Tell us you don't know what you're talking about without actually telling us.

And yes, Cassel was better than Cam Newton with no shoulder, Testeverde and Mac Jones.

While using all my will power to remain respectful to the OP. This **** has to stop sometime. Why not today, please.
BB and Brady have only been out of football for 3 months total. You make it sound like we have been discussing their careers for years, when the careers only just ended.

Isn't that what you're doing if you blame Bill? imagining that the punishment didn't fit the crime?

I've never felt comfortable assuming either way. I like Butler and Bill too much. I kind of figured we'd know by now though.
I've never assumed anything with regards to the Butler situation. That was a coaching decision and, like you, I thought we'd know by now.

Cassell did exactly what Bill likely hoped Mac would do. That's the type of QB play he needed to compliment the defense he put together. Obviously, Mac couldn't do it.

Because you just want to offer a fair and balanced perspective. For the sake of truth, accuracy and historical propriety. Right?

View attachment 57343

What else? Why would anyone have any personal vendetta against Bill. None of us know him personally.

So yes, despite your sarcasm, the aim is to provide a balanced perspective and not be hero-worshipping Belichick and keep his failures in mind and in perspective.

See your rational I understand. If Brady forced their hand, they would not have done anything but keep him because neither Bill nor Kraft would have wanted to deal with the PR nightmare that would have unleashed. But the fact is everything logical and publicly beat to death says they thought he was done and wanted to move on from him.

But people just putting their head in the sand and pretending the team wanted him and he did not, given everything we know drives me nuts.

You're right, Tom could have chosen to play for us for $1 but he didn't and hence it was HIS choice that he left. It's not because we forced him out with a lowball offer and forced his hand. Tom abandoned us.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back