PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bad was the holding penalty by Gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a hold. I'm not sure what the hubbub is about. Sucks that Gronkowski was holding downfield and Woodhead came near him. Not sure why that's the official's fault though.

It was a bullcrap call. That may be holding BY THE BOOK, but I can guarantee you that in that situation, at that time of the game, it would never have been called 99 out of 100 times. It was not flagrant enough and it had no bearing on the play itself. Woodhead was too fast beyond him for it to have any effect....... it was a crap call and that official should be hung out to dry....

If holding was called every time that same thing happened, games would take five hours to play and yellow flags would be on the field by the multi dozens. It was a horsecrap call.

And, I am very curious about the official that threw the flag, his name, where he resides (city, not address) where he has officiated because with that information it can be determined if he may have an inbred hatred of the Patriots and it was just his hatred that made him throw the flag.

After all, officials are human, and they have lifetimes of likes and dislikes built into their minds. Strange things CAN and DO happen.

Don't laugh. I am very serious.

That being said, it really shouldn't have mattered if Josh McDaniels had called a decent game, which he didn't.

It was a bullcrap call. That may be holding BY THE BOOK, but I can guarantee you that in that situation, at that time of the game, it would never have been called 99 out of 100 times. It was not flagrant enough and it had no bearing on the play itself. Woodhead was too fast beyond him for it to have any effect....... it was a crap call and that official should be hung out to dry....

If holding was called every time that same thing happened, games would take five hours to play and yellow flags would be on the field by the multi dozens. It was a horsecrap call.

And, I am very curious about the official that threw the flag, his name, where he resides (city, not address) where he has officiated because with that information it can be determined if he may have an inbred hatred of the Patriots and it was just his hatred that made him throw the flag.

After all, officials are human, and they have lifetimes of likes and dislikes built into their minds. Strange things CAN and DO happen.

That being said, it really shouldn't have mattered if Josh McDaniels had called a decent game, which he didn't.

please...it happened and it's over...it was a 50-50 call..could have gone either way and they called it. You can't expect much from the replacement refs

This.

/10

It was garbage. Larry fitz straight mugged McCourty all game long. Literally wrapped him up to allow a toss outside him on one play. Jones being held all game. Spikes held on a few blitzes. And these were the bad ones. Gronk was being mugged the entire play on the two point attempt...hand full of jersey/arm hook from snap to whistle. These refs were absolutely awful. When can we start having reviews on vs penalties? Something needs to change, and fast.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I didn't see the game but saw that clip in NFL TV and they specifically highlighted Gronk's hold when they replayed. Both Sanders and Mariuci comment that it was a 'good' call.

It was a bullcrap call. That may be holding BY THE BOOK

This i dont understand. how can it be a 'bullcrap' call if it went by the book? if its a hold its a hold, the severeness of it dosnt really matter. it was a good call. end of story.

Simple fact is, it was a hold...by the letter of the law.

The issue I have is for 59 minutes the refs let the game flow and consistently let some holding calls go for both teams. It was a physical defensive battle and they let the teams grind it out and play hard nosed football.I have no problem with that as long as it works both ways and players aren't getting mugged.

Then they call that...it's soft. If we called it every time, we'd be reversing out of Gillette. There were much more blatant holds than that throughout the game. So what I'm not happy about is the consistency on that final drive. The referee bottled it. Simple as. He was too scared of the uproar if he'd let that slight hold go on the game winning score.

If they had been calling the more blatant holds through the game, then I'd have no problem with that call. But both teams were guilty of it and Gronk had his jersey held on to on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
This i dont understand. how can it be a 'bullcrap' call if it went by the book? if its a hold its a hold, the severeness of it dosnt really matter. it was a good call. end of story.

I think it probably was a fair call. A bit on the ticky tack side, no doubt; but fair nonetheless.

We certainly can't blame it on the refs though, that's for sure. You have a good attitude about it. ARZ played well enough on defense and we played poorly enough on offense to justify this loss.

I hope they show some significant progress in their gameplanning and execution this week, or they will likely be looking at a 1-2 record come Sunday night.

I have no problem saying its 'a bit on the ticky tack side call' but you cant call the refs out for this one, its all on the pats, the team didnt do their job, except D that was truley outstanding and kudos to them for that, and they lost.

yet again, sometimes i do wish i was like the ones who blame the refs for every loss we go through, it makes it easier to cope with the loss (although its ******* week 2) but whatever.

It was a hold and the officials made the right call. Gronk had a hold of the defender around the shoulder pads and turned him inside to allow Woodhead to run outside. Would the defender have made the play on Woodhead? Probably not. Did Gronk illegally turning him take away the opportunity to make a play? Absolutely. It might not have been a bad hold, but the impact was significant and it's a must call from the officials.

Let's look at this from a different view, if the Pats were on defense in that situation and it wasn't called, we would all be screaming how bad a call it was. It was the right decision, Gronk made a stupid and unnecessary play and it's done with. There are a lot of reasons we didn't win this game but the officials aren't one of them.

if it was a bad call it kind of washes out...the patriots benefited from a really good spot from the officials on the previous touchdown drive. they were given a 1st down when it should have been 4th and 1 or 4th and inches near the 5 yard line or whatever.

Last edited:
please...it happened and it's over...it was a 50-50 call..could have gone either way and they called it. You can't expect much from the replacement refs

I agree, but shytty refs should not be in a position to dictate the outcome of a game..

Goodell needs to settle this dispute, these refs are marginal at best...

That disregards any nuance whatsoever. If similar examples of holding were not being flagged all game (what everyone calls 'letting them play') then singling out one event for strict adherence to the rule becomes a competitive disadvantage for the team this one event is called on. That should not be termed a "good" call.

However, to your post after this, I agree. Bad call, ticky tack call or good call, it happens to all teams. It was absolutely on the Patriots to execute the next play(s) -- and the fact they didn't to a degree to win is the critical point (IMHO).

I agree, but shytty refs should not be in a position to dictate the outcome of a game..

That's right. The Patriots shouldn't have played like c**p and ended up in a position where a single call mattered.

Goodell needs to settle this dispute, these refs are marginal at best...

Because the "real" refs have never made calls like that? I have to laugh when people in this thread "guarantee" that the "real" refs never would have made that call.

And if you flipped that play around, with ARI on offense and NE on defense and the ARI TE did just what Gronk did and it wasn't called, there would have been a thread here with people complaining up and down about how the replacement refs missed the call and how the "real" refs definitely would have called it.

Last edited:
Just watched it again. Pretty obvious hold. Rhodes goes to reach for Woodhead and Gronkowski hooks him by the shoulder pad, preventing Rhodes from reaching out. It wasn't like it was away from the play either. Not sure what some of you are watching.

Gronk plays it straight up and Rhodes would have made an unsuccessful attempt at the tackle. Game over. Bottom line--Gronk Bad.

Simple fact is, it was a hold...by the letter of the law.

The issue I have is for 59 minutes the refs let the game flow and consistently let some holding calls go for both teams. It was a physical defensive battle and they let the teams grind it out and play hard nosed football.I have no problem with that as long as it works both ways and players aren't getting mugged.

Then they call that...it's soft. If we called it every time, we'd be reversing out of Gillette. There were much more blatant holds than that throughout the game. So what I'm not happy about is the consistency on that final drive. The referee bottled it. Simple as. He was too scared of the uproar if he'd let that slight hold go on the game winning score.

If they had been calling the more blatant holds through the game, then I'd have no problem with that call. But both teams were guilty of it and Gronk had his jersey held on to on more than one occasion.

The part that irks me is after calling a pretty good/consistent game we saw a slew (okay a bit of an embellishment) of bad calls going against the Pats late, and while the hold was the most detrimental the roughing the passer might've been worse had the Pats tackled on that play. After watching the Cards yelling at the refs almost non-stop you have to wonder if they got into their heads.

The part that irks me is after calling a pretty good/consistent game we saw a slew (okay a bit of an embellishment) of bad calls going against the Pats late, and while the hold was the most detrimental the roughing the passer might've been worse had the Pats tackled on that play. After watching the Cards yelling at the refs almost non-stop you have to wonder if they got into their heads.

The thing with the Spikes call is this; his helmet did come up on to the bottom of Kolb's grill and refs were calling that last year. It's absolutely soft, I hate it, but the precident was set last season.

My biggest irk in this league is tackling. If Spikes tries to bring the QB down as he is supposed to (by tackling around the waist) he won't get that called against him. Fundamental football dictates you should never be that high.you make yourself your own worst enemy. Therefore when players put themselves in a position to get that called against them, I have no sympathy.

Maybe if Gronk wasnt parading around like a mad man this offseason he wouldnt look as slow and clearly not focused if your going to make such a blatant hold on a guy. Guy needs to stop worrying about game covers and get his mind back to football. Sad he cant get separation this season pretty sad.

All Football Fans are Hyprocrites?? If that holding call was on a Cardinal player same situation...i don't think Pats fans would be complaining.:snob:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back