PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about a stab at a Pats Mock Draft after the Big Trade?

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Bill will be playing the 2016 Draft like an accordion with 12 picks. The Pats have a good problem. There is the possibility of 26 new faces and dewcsi0ons must be made as far as present roster moves and how many picks will actually survive the OTs.

Jaylon Smith is your 2016 first round pick weather he plays or not. He can red shirt and the Pats have beat the NFL who is trying to “fix” the playing field.

Therefore for amusement I have considered some Trades and Draft swaps to see what might be the result. With Kaufusi and Hargrave you have some significant disruption to take the place of the Easley “bust”. At 6’6” and 285 no reason Kaufusi can play inside some. What those picks do is allow the Pats to switch back and fourth from 4-3 to 3-4.

• Second Round, No. 60 Overall-JAYLON SMITH LB NOTRE DAME
Jaylon Smith is your 2016 first round pick weather he plays 2016 or not as long as 2017 is likely. He can red shirt and the Pats have beat the NFL who is trying to “fix” the playing field.

• Third Round, No. 77 Overall from Philadelphia Eagles - KENNETH DIXSON RB LOUSIANA TECH
Best RB I have seen on tape this year not from Ohio State. Can Pass block and catch.

• Third Round, No. 79 Overall from Philadelphia Eagles - JOE HAEG OT NORTH DAKOTA STATE
A little bit of Logan Mankins in his play. Not a limited athlete at OT. He can jump out on fast DE’s.

• Third Round, No. 96 Overall – Compensatory –BRONSON KAUFUSI, DE, BYU
This kid can rush and drop back. He blocks kicks. He can play inside and out, plus LB. Versatility. Watch his tape.

• Fourth Round, No. 100 Overall from Philadelphia Eagles- SEAN DAVIS, CB/S, MARYLAND
CB/S versatility. A CB with size which we don’t have. Too much smoke on this kid so far.
• Fourth Round, No. 115 Overall –TRADE-via ATLANTA FALCONS FOR Fifth Round No. 141 Overall-Via Cleveland Browns, Sixth Round, No. 196 Overall – Via Houston Texans in Keshawn Martin trade, Sixth Round, No. 204 Overall – Via Chicago Bears in Jon Bostic, Martellus Bennett trades-59 POINT TRADE VALUE= VERSUS 62 POINTS- JAVON HARGRAVE, DT, S.C. STATE
A poor man’s Aaron Donald. Might be the exact piece to replace Easley. Get him NFL reps. Same size and speed with Hargraves slightly heavier and more bench reps. Easley started 26 of 32 games at Florida, posting 72 tackles, including 18 for loss, and 5.5 sacks Hargraves had.29.5 sacks and 45 tackles for losses in his last two years for the Bulldogs all granted not SEC. 29.5 sacks is impressive even in Pop Warner!

• Sixth Round, No. 208 Overall – Compensatory- DEVIN CAJUSTE H-BACK/WR STANFORD
WR/HB versatility. Bigger and faster than AH. A big WR we do not have. Red zone threat.He is a super size WR we have never had.Same size and tools as Vincent Jackson.

• Sixth Round, No. 214 Overall – Compensatory- NICK RICHTER OT RICHMOND
Very underrated. Can play many positions

• Sixth Round, No. 221 Overall – Compensatory- KEVIN BYARD S/PR MIDDLE TENNESSEE
Ball skills. Can return kicks.Has good size. Replaces another “bust” in Wilson.BB's annual S Draft pick.

• Seventh Round, No. 243 Overall – Via Houston Texans in Ryan Mallett trade- KEEENAN REYNOLDS RB NAVY
Bill’s binkie.

I have come up with trades with the:
>Eagles (their #77,#79 and #100 for our #61 , #65 from the Browns and our #250 as our parting gift so the Eagles can get up into Round 2 for a QB).

>Browns (their #65, their #141 and former 1st rounder Justin Gilbert reclamation project, for Ohio kid OG Josh Kline, C David Andrews, WR Aaron Dobson and N.E 3rd Round pick # 91). The Browns need to fill holes fast and need more than Draft picks to do so. We, on the other hand will wind up letting some good players go with our depth. So...why not?

>Falcons who are desperate for picks (see above). We give them three for one...because we can.

Why these trades and swaps? Because we all know Bill will make a few.

Thoughts? Comments? Death threats?
DW Toys

Did a fire alarm force your evacuation from the draft board? :cool:

I think I'm going to start a thread about snipe hunts

While I doubt that even the Browns would trade anything of value for our bottom-of-the-roster trash and would be shocked to see so many well-known names picked by the Patriots, this was a very entertaining mock.

Jaylon Smith is a no brainer if he's there but I think the second is too high actually. Reports now that he may not play at all in '16. So, who knows. What I do know is they need a stud LB to replace Hightower or Collins. One of them will leave. So you need a replacement for next year. Red shirt him this year and let him loose next year. Or put him on IR and monitor his progress and maybe use the new rule on him.

While I doubt that even the Browns would trade anything of value for our bottom-of-the-roster trash and would be shocked to see so many well-known names picked by the Patriots, this was a very entertaining mock.

Yep, the Patriots roster is loaded with "trash" that's how they were able to get to the AFCCG despite suffering a ton of injuries.

Yep, the Patriots roster is loaded with "trash" that's how they were able to get to the AFCCG despite suffering a ton of injuries.

Where did I say loaded? Or were you just looking for an excuse to wave your Patriots pom-poms?

Btw, is Cardona officially the precedent for how Reynolds would be handled? Or is there some risk that he would be unavailable in 2016?

Well I'd argue that Gilbert has negative trade value at this point, so maybe it's not too far off.

I predict BB trades up into the middle of the second round to about 40-45

Where did I say loaded? Or were you just looking for an excuse to wave your Patriots pom-poms?

You called the bottom of the roster "trash" when in fact they kept them going despite the injuries, which just shows that you are as dumb as a rock.

As far as my pom poms go they have been right for years and years.

You called the bottom of the roster "trash" when in fact they kept them going despite the injuries, which just shows that you are as dumb as a rock.

As far as my pom poms go they have been right for years and years.

You should probably learn how to read before calling others dumb. I can only assume from your terrible reading comprehension "skills" that English is not your native language.

Jaylon Smith is a no brainer if he's there but I think the second is too high actually. Reports now that he may not play at all in '16. So, who knows. What I do know is they need a stud LB to replace Hightower or Collins. One of them will leave. So you need a replacement for next year. Red shirt him this year and let him loose next year. Or put him on IR and monitor his progress and maybe use the new rule on him.
My thoughts exactly Cousin.
DW Toys

I was going under the premise that Kline was a starter for most of the season. He was better in the beginning but faded. I heard he was hurt too. He is an Ohio kid. With Cooper maybe we can move him.

Andrews won nine games as the Pats starting Center. We have three on the roster that can play that position. I thought he outplayed Stork. But we have "inventory" at the Center position.

With Washington and Hogan, unless Dobson has a hell-of-a Camp, he might be odd man out. The Browns need WR help and maybe a new Team works well for Dobson.

Gilbert was a top ten pick as was Cooper. I think he was overwhelmed and being in Cleveland with their turmoil killed the kids early progress. I would think the former GM Lombardi on our staff now would have the info on this kid.

Dobson and Gilbert are kind of a draw. The Browns need a Center and a Guard. I can say I think not all of these three present Pats make our roster. They are not trash. Kline was re-upped.We have better at there positions here.

The Browns have too many holes for just the Draft to fill.

DW Toys

I was going under the premise that Kline was a starter for most of the season. He was better in the beginning but faded. I heard he was hurt too. He is an Ohio kid. With Cooper maybe we can move him.

Andrews won nine games as the Pats starting Center. We have three on the roster that can play that position. I thought he outplayed Stork. But we have "inventory" at the Center position.

With Washington and Hogan, unless Dobson has a hell-of-a Camp, he might be odd man out. The Browns need WR help and maybe a new Team works well for Dobson.

Gilbert was a top ten pick as was Cooper. I think he was overwhelmed and being in Cleveland with their turmoil killed the kids early progress. I would think the former GM Lombardi on our staff now would have the info on this kid.

Dobson and Gilbert are kind of a draw. The Browns need a Center and a Guard. I can say I think not all of these three present Pats make our roster. They are not trash. Kline was re-upped.We have better at there positions here.

The Browns have too many holes for just the Draft to fill.

DW Toys

You spend most of your post making a compelling case for why anywhere from one to all three players you mention may not even make the roster this year. That is what makes them "trash", in the sense that any rational NFL GM who receives a call offering those three players as the centerpiece of a trade will either hang up the phone or say something along the lines of "don't peddle your trash here" and then hang up the phone.

Browns have a high waiver priority by virtue of their poor record. Roster holes or not, it does not help them to sacrifice precious draft capital to take on a bunch of guys whom they may be able to pick up on the waiver wire later in the pre-season.

You spend most of your post making a compelling case for why anywhere from one to all three players you mention may not even make the roster this year. That is what makes them "trash", in the sense that any rational NFL GM who receives a call offering those three players as the centerpiece of a trade will either hang up the phone or say something along the lines of "don't peddle your trash here" and then hang up the phone.

Browns have a high waiver priority by virtue of their poor record. Roster holes or not, it does not help them to sacrifice precious draft capital to take on a bunch of guys whom they may be able to pick up on the waiver wire later in the pre-season.

If you consider two Patriot young starters Trash, that is your call. The fact is the Browns need O Lineman plus many other holes to fill. and we have an abundance of Centers and Guards that we might be able to capitalize on, then if I am playing GM here. I take a trade to enhance the value right now, not wait for presesason vetting. There is no guarantee we waive those two, nor is there a guarantee we can't pick up a pick or trade later on. In this case scenario, you have two starters who could play right now on the Browns. Is that a fair statement?

As far as Capital, the Browns have 3 picks in the fifth round. Are the players they pick in the 5th Round guaranteed better than these two day one starters? The third round is a swap of positions to make the Trade fair. That is done in the League frequently.

I am not playing this out as a Madden trade. Bill will have to make tough choices on the roster and he does like playing up and down on the Draft board. It's not like I am sticking Cannon or Flemming in the Trade. These kids were first sting at some point. I would think Cleveland would have interest. A fifth and a third round swap are reasonable. It is a fair trade for both.

Your comments are appreciated in all honesty.
DW Toys

I predict BB trades up into the middle of the second round to about 40-45

If Bullard or Austin Johnson fall that far I could see it, particularly if Chris Jones is off the board too. Ridgeway might be worth waiting for though at 60 and then pick up Sheldon Day or Willie Henry in the 3rd.

If you consider two Patriot young starters Trash, that is your call. The fact is the Browns need O Lineman plus many other holes to fill. and we have an abundance of Centers and Guards that we might be able to capitalize on, then if I am playing GM here. I take a trade to enhance the value right now, not wait for presesason vetting. There is no guarantee we waive those two, nor is there a guarantee we can't pick up a pick or trade later on. In this case scenario, you have two starters who could play right now on the Browns. Is that a fair statement?

As far as Capital, the Browns have 3 picks in the fifth round. Are the players they pick in the 5th Round guaranteed better than these two day one starters? The third round is a swap of positions to make the Trade fair. That is done in the League frequently.

I am not playing this out as a Madden trade. Bill will have to make tough choices on the roster and he does like playing up and down on the Draft board. It's not like I am sticking Cannon or Flemming in the Trade. These kids were first sting at some point. I would think Cleveland would have interest. A fifth and a third round swap are reasonable. It is a fair trade for both.

Your comments are appreciated in all honesty.
DW Toys

If you are saying that Andrews or Kline would start on the Browns right now, I would disagree. Bitonio and Greco are both better than Kline, some would say significantly better. Andrews might have a chance to win the job in training camp, but Erving was a first round pick just last year, so he is going to have the first shot.

So in your scenario you are offering a team that by many accounts had a much better OL than the Patriots last season (I think PFF for example had the Browns OL ranked around 5 in year-end rankings and the Patriots around 25) two guys who faded down the stretch last year and are not a lock to even make the Patriots this season, let alone start on the Browns.

Even with Alex Mack having moved on, I just don't see the appeal of that trade for the Browns, if their GM is behaving rationally. Granted, acting rationally is not the Browns' forte historically, but I think even they would pass on this deal.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back