PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hopkins comments on trade with Patriots or Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is concerning is how long he's lingering on the market. That's not a very good sign. Nobody wanted to trade for him earlier and now he's just hanging out as a FA.

Good players have immediate suitors.
I guess hes looking at OBJ and his 15 million dollar deal. May as well hold out for s spell.

Some WR will go down in camp for the season and Hopkins will be sitting pretty.

If I am Hopkins, one thing I am looking for is to be the #1 receiver.
Only one team can unequivocally give him the targets and #1 status and that is the Patriots.
I would be very surprised if they spent the dollars but the other teams Shefter mentioned all have # 1's (Bill-Diggs, Browns- Cooper, KC- Kelce)

I’m ambivalent. Hopkins would give the Pats a solid #1 WR, but one that’s already peaked and would squeeze out some youngsters who are just beginning their ascent.

It’s attractive to think that signing one established star would fix everything. Truth is, it might be a quick fix for today that has effects for years, screwing up the development of promising young receivers.

right now it looks to me like signing Hopkins would give a receiver corps with Hopkins, JuJu, Parker, Bourne at the top with Tyquan likely next on the depth chart.

so, two years from now where does that leave us? Hopkins is likely over the hill. Unlikely JuJu Parker or Bourne will be anything more than they are now, and Douglas and Boutte will be long gone.

would we be better off passing on Hopkins, developing the rest of the guys we have, and two years down the road having players with a future?

I’m ambivalent. Hopkins would give the Pats a solid #1 WR, but one that’s already peaked and would squeeze out some youngsters who are just beginning their ascent.

It’s attractive to think that signing one established star would fix everything. Truth is, it might be a quick fix for today that has effects for years, screwing up the development of promising young receivers.

right now it looks to me like signing Hopkins would give a receiver corps with Hopkins, JuJu, Parker, Bourne at the top with Tyquan likely next on the depth chart.

so, two years from now where does that leave us? Hopkins is likely over the hill. Unlikely JuJu Parker or Bourne will be anything more than they are now, and Douglas and Boutte will be long gone.

would we be better off passing on Hopkins, developing the rest of the guys we have, and two years down the road having players with a future?
It's really hard for a 30+ receiver to pickup the Patriots timing system. Its possible Hopkins could struggle while at the same time taking reps from Tyquan.

It's really hard for a 30+ receiver to pickup the Patriots timing system. Its possible Hopkins could struggle while at the same time taking reps from Tyquan.
Knowing D-Hop have a history with OC BOB I would bet he wouldn't struggle. I would still love to have him even for couple of years: our current Offense needs him.

Bet he's going to the Bills. Davis is very overrated as a WR2, and they're absolutely screwed if Diggs ever gets hurt.

He might be over-rated as a #2, but he would be our #1 if he were here...easily.

Gotta confess, that one's kinda far down on my list of concerns about signing him...

I think it has to be the Browns. After they gave so much guaranteed money to Watson, and Watson did not look great in 2022, it makes a ton of sense to reunite Watson and Hopkins. If Hopkins makes the Watson investment pay out, then that is a double bonus. No other team has that.

Having said that, BB was known to love Hunter Henry and he went and got him in FA. BB is known to love DeAndre Hopkins, so ..................................

Gotta confess, that one's kinda far down on my list of concerns about signing him...

I agree, and Hopkins is a very clever route runner, so he will teach Thornton a few tricks. If we have Hopkins, Tyquan can take the top off helping Hopkins as well. A match made in heaven for 2 years.

I think it has to be the Browns. After they gave so much guaranteed money to Watson, and Watson did not look great in 2022, it makes a ton of sense to reunite Watson and Hopkins. If Hopkins makes the Watson investment pay out, then that is a double bonus. No other team has that.

Having said that, BB was known to love Hunter Henry and he went and got him in FA. BB is known to love DeAndre Hopkins, so ..................................
And then there's this:

Hopkins - "I don’t need a great QB. I’ve done it with subpar QBs."

Watson - "Hmmm."

And then there's this:

Watson - "Hmmm."

Could've maybe been referring to Kyler Midget also, who's apparently not very well-liked out there...

And then there's this:

Watson - "Hmmm."

He's probably referring to the likes of:
Matt Schaub, Case Keenum, TJ Yates, Ryan Mallett, Tom Savage, Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, BJ Daniels, Brock Osweiler.

Those were the Texans QBs from 2013-2016. I'm not including Ryan Fitzpatrick who I feel was an above average QB.

Knowing D-Hop have a history with OC BOB I would bet he wouldn't struggle. I would still love to have him even for couple of years: our current Offense needs him.
I’m not sure his history with BOB is a plus. Remember it was BOB who shipped his ass out of Houston.

Roll this cap space to next year and have ammunition to sign Jerry Jeudy or tee Higgins.

We need to give the space for Douglas and Thornton to come around and see if Bourne can make the major leap to wr1. Last year we just lost it with Patricia maybe Bourne is much better than advertised .

We need to give the space for Douglas and Thornton to come around and see if Bourne can make the major leap to wr1. Last year we just lost it with Patricia maybe Bourne is much better than advertised .

I can understand the logic for not signing Hopkins (age), but seriously???

This is Bourne's 7th year in the league with two teams, and he's never even been a #2, while Douglas is a rookie 6th rounder.

Thornton will only be better with Hopkins instead of Parker, who is a goner if this goes through.

I have never seen anything that described the Erhardt-Perkins offense as a timing offense. What I have read about it indicates it’s about simplifying offensive language and creating space through route combinations. In fact I don’t think there are many teams that still use the Zampese-Martz timing offense, Norbert Turner was one of the last running it and he’s long gone. There are plenty of people here who know much more about football systems than I do, so if they want to weigh in on it I would be interested to hear their takes on it, but my understanding is that E/P is not a timing offense.

Roll this cap space to next year and have ammunition to sign Jerry Jeudy or tee Higgins.

If they can add their cap space to next season then this is the strongest argument against signing Hopkins that I have seen. If they can’t then I see no harm in bringing him in and releasing Parker.

Bourne isn’t a #1 by any stretch of the imagination. He’s a good receiver but he’s a #3 in any good offense.

I have never seen anything that described the Erhardt-Perkins offense as a timing offense. What I have read about it indicates it’s about simplifying offensive language and creating space through route combinations. In fact I don’t think there are many teams that still use the Zampese-Martz timing offense, Norbert Turner was one of the last running it and he’s long gone. There are plenty of people here who know much more about football systems than I do, so if they want to weigh in on it I would be interested to hear their takes on it, but my understanding is that E/P is not a timing offense.
Every team uses timing routes including the Patriots which was an important part of the offense…though maybe not as much any more. A lot of the E-P system is terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3