PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower - slimmer is better or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s an underrated beast at rushing the QB. See his last performance in the Super Bowl.

A slimmer HT is better. You don’t don’t need to be a thumper in today’s NFL.

Now, if the 10 lbs. High lost could magically be found on the lower body of Obi Melifonwu, that would be great.

He looks different without the dreads too

That’s like 10 pounds right there

True that. And maybe it's the shirt...but it also appears he's a bit flat chested. I wonder if that's related to the bad Pec injury he had.

Last edited:
We will see his playing weight once preseason starts but I would say slimmer is better. Playing at 260+ at a very physically demanding position is especially bad on the knees and other body parts to a lesser extent. For Hightower availability has always been his biggest issue, not performance, so maybe shedding 10+ lbs will hopefully keep him in games longer? Who knows really.

Now, if the 10 lbs. High lost could magically be found on the lower body of Obi Melifonwu, that would be great.

Are you saying he needs bigger balls?

I honestly think he managed himself somewhat in the regular season last year. He looked a step slow and even seemed to not quite be going all out on a few plays. Then the postseason came around and he was a beast. I wonder if tat was calculated or if he was further removed from a nagging injury.

Honestly it says more to me about Bentley’s status than Hightower’s. We know Hightower’s game. They must feel Bentley can be the thumper going forward.

Assume "slimmer" means less fat?

Honestly it says more to me about Bentley’s status than Hightower’s. We know Hightower’s game. They must feel Bentley can be the thumper going forward.
Hightower 's change in physique has nothing to do with Bentley.

Is it better or worse for Hightower to be playing slimmer?

Dont’a Hightower, Down A Few Pounds, Looks Totally Different In This Photo

It says he entered NFL at 270 pounds and has operated at that or 260+ during his time. This offseason he's decided to slim down and is at 250 pounds now. Doesn't sound like much but he looks drastically different in the picture below. Is slimmer better (more speed, better coverage ability) or worse (harder to have momentum when tackling running backs).

Anyone have ideas?

D36IjWxWwAAl6xt.jpg
I never thought HT looked like he weighed 270 lbs, and to me he doesn't look like he weighs 250 in this picture. He always has looked smaller than his stated wgt. But i think it will help him with quickness,speed and health.

Maybe better in coverage but it could hinder him against the run.

I love it. The game is changing and making linebackers like Hightower obsolete (not HT specifically, but larger/run stopping linebackers). You need to be quicker and be able to drop back in coverage. HT is an absolute freak, even when he was at 270. His biggest challenge was being able to defend RBs on that swing route (just like all of our LB's - looking at you Collins) and dropping back in to coverage. I don't see why shedding a few pounds to increase agility/speed is a bad thing, even if it sacrifices just a little bit of wham on those big hits.

Plus, I don't think most can tell a difference between getting smacked by HT at 270 vs. 250. Guy is a truck with insane strength. Glad to see he's still so dedicated even after all of this success.

Referencing a comment above about HT looking slower this year, I'm not sure if it's a preservation thing throughout the year (bc I agree he did) but he sure looked quick in the Super Bowl. He was massive in that game with multiple sacks, key run stops, blocking lineman onto their backs, etc. Just a freak of nature.

This will always be my favorite play by HT. Doesn't matter if he's 270 or 250 here. Freeman is going to get roasted and Matty ice is getting strip sacked. We are blessed to have Mr Big Play HT.

I honestly think he managed himself somewhat in the regular season last year. He looked a step slow and even seemed to not quite be going all out on a few plays. Then the postseason came around and he was a beast. I wonder if tat was calculated or if he was further removed from a nagging injury.
I’m sure he didn’t play a step slow to manage himself. If you are a step slow a lb you get destroyed by a 320 lb OL.
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was still not 100% earlier in the season and as normally happens here the piling on turned the perception that his 85% was 15% of his normal healthy self.

I worry less about a big strong beast of a LB dropping some weight than a smallish LB putting it on.
10 lbs of weight won’t affect his ability in the run game unless he lost 10 lbs by never touching a weight or doing any other strength training and 10 lbs is muscle atrophy. Not worried that’s the case.

is he more pliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing