PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower Opts Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this play out for next season?

Are players who opt out of this seasons contracts pushed out to next year?

Example....
Is Hightower’s 2020 contract pushed out to 2021?

yes

How does this play out for next season?

Are players who opt out of this seasons contracts pushed out to next year?

Example....
Is Hightower’s 2020 contract pushed out to 2021?
Everyone but Cannon's contract just pushes to next year as if this year didn't exist. Cannon's 2020 season counts as a season accrued because he is high risk.

I hope that rookie LBs and the rookie safety can get ready. Rarely do we need rookies to take so many meaningful snaps are it seems that we will this year (assuming that there is a "this year").

If there is no season what happens to next years draft ? How is the order decided? It can’t be the same as this year as that would be incredibly unfair. The Bengals would get the number 1 pick again and that doesn’t seem right !

Hightower and Chung don't have that many seasons left. Add the difficulty of taking a season off.

It's likely that they won't be back.

I agree about Chung but I think High will be back for one more.
Oth, if you're right this would be a very sad way for them to go out.
2 of the baddest warriors ever to suit up in NE. Both old-school Bruschi, Rodney kind of players. They're doing what's right for their families. I wouldn't expect anything less from either because they both have always done the right thing.
I have to think these 2 are among Belichicks all-time favorite players.

Yeah with a newborn, you can't risk that playing football and then having the chance of bringing something you catch from work back to the home. Life is more important. Wish him and his family well.

It's tough time for everyone playing sports. Decisions have to be made.

Christian Sam just got cut by the Lions.
#problemsolved

(wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the expanded practice squad, actually)

Christian Sam just got cut by the Lions.
#problemsolved

(wouldn't be a bad guy to have on the expanded practice squad, actually)
giphy.gif

2 of the baddest warriors ever to suit up in NE. Both old-school Bruschi, Rodney kind of players. They're doing what's right for their families. I wouldn't expect anything less from either because they both have always done the right thing.

Chung, Hightower, McCourty have 3 rings. Just as much part of the Pats HOF lore as Bruschi, Harrison, McGinest

The last veteran, high caliber linebacker we had on defense Opts out :(

I dont blame him... this COVID stuff wouldnt normally give me a spook, but the only thing that was giving me anxiety and making me nervous was my 15 month old son

You wouldn't stay away from your newborn for six months in order that you family would get $8M for his future? OK. My point is to make believe that your job assignment was in Saudi Arabia for six months for 8 million dollars.

Curiously, Chung has guarantees and the cost to have him as a backup will be very low (compared with cutting him). Chung seems likely to be here in 2020 as a backup and special teamer.

If Bill wants Hightower for $8M of new money, then so be it. The cap could be spread, but the question is compensation in new money for 2020 services.

Cannon also might be well worth having, even as a backup.

You wouldn't stay away from your newborn for six months in order that you family would get $8M for his future? OK. My point is to make believe that your job assignment was in Saudi Arabia for six months for 8 million dollars.

If I have already made 44M in career earnings and know because of the signing bonus also moving to next year that I will simply defer those 8M by a year then of course I would chose staying at home with my family and newborn.

You are acting like he is giving up that money for good. Instead he just sits out a year and collects it in 2021. Or as likely, an extension will go his way to reduce the hit in exchange for some more guarantees.

Last edited:
But I can wait a year, spend it with my family, not put me or my family at risk and make the 8 mill next year.

Chung, Hightower, McCourty have 3 rings. Just as much part of the Pats HOF lore as Bruschi, Harrison, McGinest

Agreed. Hightower's goal line solo tackle of Marshawn Lynch with a damaged shoulder is one of the great unappreciated plays in dynasty history. And he was awesome against Atlanta, too.

Agreed. Hightower's goal line solo tackle of Marshawn Lynch with a damaged shoulder is one of the great unappreciated plays in dynasty history. And he was awesome against Atlanta, too.

Matt Ryan sack fumble as part of the comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye