Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwedd

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks Like Hightower won't be a Steeler.

In a move straight off of Shark Tank, the Pittsburgh Steelers gave free agent linebacker Dont'a Hightower an ultimatum. According to Aditi Kinkhabwala of the NFL Network, the Steelers were willing to give Hightower an offer but weren't going to let him play around with the team.

Dont’a Hightower leaves Pittsburgh with offer from the Steelers off the table

Hightower left Pittsburg and the Steelers rescinded their offer to him.

The fun games players and teams play to make the deal. 'Don't you go use our offer to get a better deal from the Patriots or another team! Sign now or else!!'.
Just as good as the media plants such as 'player X has huge offers from 3 other unnamed teams'.

Good offseason theater...

I don't know who or what "Steelers Wire" is, but I want more info about him definitely leaving town before I mentally cross them off the list. There seemed to be some confusion earlier with some reports stating that the offer was already off the table at dinner time, as soon as he left their team facility.

Hopefully, we get some good news today in the form of a nice extension for Hightower.

A choice between Lombardis or cupcakes...
As much of a dumpster fire as the Jets are, I give them some credit for preying on the idea that "we value you as a person much more than they do," and going through the motions to try and prove it.

If you couple that with the (reported) extra money from their offer, he just may fall for it.

I know Hightower is a Player;) but this is getting ridiculous. :p

Did you actually read the article?

As much of a dumpster fire as the Jets are, I give them some credit for preying on the idea that "we value you as a person much more than they do," and going through the motions to try and prove it.

If you couple that with the (reported) extra money from their offer, he just may fall for it.

Cupcakes and $
10 million, 14 win seasons, and perennial contention or 12 million and 4 win seasons, I'm taking option A, every time.

10 million, 14 win seasons, and perennial contention or 12 million and 4 win seasons, I'm taking option A, every time.

So would I, but not everyone is so willing to leave millions of dollars on the table.

So would I, but not everyone is so willing to leave millions of dollars on the table.
In life, there are tradeoffs and Hightower is more than welcome to take the money however, being someone who has experienced both sides of the ledger (obviously not the same level of remuneration), job satisfaction and overall life happiness trumps the extra income.

Poor, misplayed tactic by the Steelers. Hightower must feel like he just wasted a trip at a critical time in his decision making process. I'm sure he would not have bothered to visit had he know he would be given used car salesmen tricks in the form of an ultimatum. He has been upfront with every team that he wants to get all his options and then carefully weigh his best option, unless someone is willing to reach his dream number. The Steelers did not respect Hightower's decision making process.

A low class move from a low class organization. But at least they really wanted him and saw a good fit in their system, and made him an offer that makes sense for them with nothing to lose...and that's why they are one of the better teams in the league in cap discipline and spending in the right areas.

Can't say the same thing about the Jets, who are once again off the deep end in their crazed free agency pursuit of a player who makes no sense for their organization to sign right now, and who are intent in cutting off their nose to spite their face, with some small, pathetic front page back-patting from the NY Post that they "won" the deal against the Patriots, only to suffer through the miserable and inevitable consequences of the deal for the next four years. I can't even imagine how ineffective Hightower would be on that team compared to his role in New England. The Jets are so bad and so far from fielding a respectable team it's almost hard to fathom, before you remember it's the Jets.

I certainly agree, but the bigger question may be how many seasons that 2m dollar difference is multiplied by, if those numbers are for average annual value, of course. I assume they are.

If it ends up being a 7-8m dollar difference over four or even five years, that could certainly have some potential to sway him. Guaranteed money is huge, obviously. As you're well aware, there will be some other contractual hang ups the Jets could be willing to overlook, as well. Let's hope not. Puke green would be a terrible look for him.

I dont get it. Does this mean he cant go back to Bill and say they offered X amount of dollars for Y amount of years?

I dont get it. Does this mean he cant go back to Bill and say they offered X amount of dollars for Y amount of years?

yeah, but what good does that do him? it is not like he can say "get within 10% or I'll take it."
It is no longer a valid offer. Now I am sure it is worth it to woody to pay him more than the pats. Then it is up to Hightower whether he wants money more than wins.

I said in a previous post, that I would take the money. He got 4 rings already.

I find it hard to believe they pull the offer just cause he doesn't sign on the spot.

That is a common tactic in the NFL. Usually it's accompanied by a very generous offer that tends to make a player think twice before leaving. Evidently it wasn't enough to sway DH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes