PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

High Expectations Have Affected The View Of Brandon Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merri has the physical tools and the blood lust to be superb. However, he is a meat head. He admits that the coaches tell him what to do, but he changes it up and does what he wants. His private life is chaotic and seems to be a risk to himself and the Pats at any given moment. Also, he is one of the worst 2 time all stars I have ever seen.

It's idiotic to get rid of him just to get rid of him - Brown and Sanders are just not viable. But, when his contract is up, his time here will be done. That's how it works around here.

Could you post a link for this? Sounds like more internet drivel to me.

Fact is, hes the best safety on the roster. Chung just really isn't all that good in coverage. Merriweather is.

Granted Merri isn't worthy of the Pro-Bowl AKA (the Highschool popularity contest run by the NFL players). Merriweather is solid DEPTH and Depth wise we cannot have enough quality DB's. Merriweather is over-hyped, but he is still above the average S in terms of skill and effectiveness.

Its not the players or fans voting him in.

ITS THE COACHES. Do you really think the coaches are selecting him because he's popular? Where the hell is he popular? The NE fans have been trying to run him out of town for 3 years, so its certainly not here.

My guess, is that the coaches do a lot better of a job judging safety play than a bunch of internet-know-it-alls who don't even get to see what the safety is doing on 75% of the plays, because they're zoomed in on Tom Brady's Locks. :bricks:

When you draft a guy at the end of the first round, your expectations are that he contribute his first year and become a starter after that. Merriweather has become JUST that, on a good team. Say what you want about his erratic play. The fact remains that Bill will play the best guy, and clearly the Pats haven't had a better safety out there the last 4 years. Ergo it was a successful pick. Just think of all the S's picked BEFORE him since 2007 who haven't had even his limited success.

Thats actually way more production than your average late first round pick accounts for.

Its not the players or fans voting him in.

ITS THE COACHES. Do you really think the coaches are selecting him because he's popular? Where the hell is he popular? The NE fans have been trying to run him out of town for 3 years, so its certainly not here.

My guess, is that the coaches do a lot better of a job judging safety play than a bunch of internet-know-it-alls who don't even get to see what the safety is doing on 75% of the plays, because they're zoomed in on Tom Brady's Locks. :bricks:

For some strange reason, there are so many people here who just don't understand this.

Let's look at Meriweather's 2 pro-bowl years (with the assumption that he may have indeed gotten his 2nd one under his PROVEN reputation--which is commonplace and well-deserved, although he certainly had numbers in his 2nd yr that could have justified his selection too, considering he was an alternate) :

Year 1 pro-bowl-----4 INT's, 2 FF's, 2 sacks, and 9 passes defended !!!!(certainly looks like a hell of a year to me, definitely pro-bowl worthy)

Year 2 pro-bowl-----3 INT's, and 6 passes defended(considering that he was NOT a first-ballot choice, and that he went due to injuries, what is the 'big' problem that people here have??? Even if he would've been picked above everyone else, he had a pretty good yr anyway, and likely has earned a reputation through 2 out of the past 3 seasons, which is STILL deserving. I will agree that the 2nd selection is somewhat questionable, but do people not remember that he was an alternate?)

When a player has 2 or 3 pretty good years (in their first 2 or 3 yrs--mind you), and at least 1 of those yrs is extremely well deserved, they instantly become reputable in the minds of other players and coaches.

I am still not getting the hate for his pro-bowl selections, due to the circumstances, although I will agree that his 2nd selection last yr probably wasn't enough to earn a "first ballot selection...." which is exactly WHY he was an alternate!!!

Last edited:
High Expectations Have Affected The View Of Brandon Meriweather
By: Russ Goldman

Brandon Meriweather's future with the Patriots could be in jeopardy, but I don't think he's as bad as many are making him out to be....

He was bad in 2010.

Could you post a link for this? Sounds like more internet drivel to me.

Fact is, hes the best safety on the roster. Chung just really isn't all that good in coverage. Merriweather is.

That's actually not drivel. He admitted that in an interview on WEEI last year:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Why Patriots S Brandon Meriweather hasn’t been starting…

And I'm on the side of the fact he's better than he's being made out to be, and agree that it's foolish to move him without a tangible replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe