PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Here's the real Polian

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-02-21-competition-committee_N.htm

He thinks it was gathered for the purposes of future games. Polian said videotape of sideline signals could be conceivably matched to game footage to decipher codes. Such a process might provide the type of advantage former Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson described during an interview with USA TODAY shortly after he retired in 2005. 'Every now and then I'd get a sheet, one hour before the game, with a list of audibles for our opponent,' Johnson said in November 2005. 'I don't know how, but they just showed up.'
We can thank ted johnson as well :mad:

Excuse my ignorance but how is taping defensive signals called from the sidelines going to get you audibles?

Excuse my ignorance but how is taping defensive signals called from the sidelines going to get you audibles?

not to mention offensive audibles :)...no one asks this question

Excuse my ignorance, but how does matching up defensive signals at halftime (which the Pats have denied) get you the audibles BEFORE the game? And if this was gathered from previous games, then why would they only give it to TJ an hour before the game. That makes sense.

Not to mention that the NFL is perfectly OK with what Ted Johnson got.

Steve Alic said, "That's football."

People are stupid.

But, but, but Polian said it, it must be right...........:rolleyes:

Not to mention that the NFL is perfectly OK with what Ted Johnson got.

Steve Alic said, "That's football."

People are stupid.

If they weren't wouldn't the Dolphins have been fined?

Such bull. You can basically hear most QB's audibles on the TV broadcast, it isn't against the rules to review game tape and try to pick up what you can.

Especially Brady's audibles, which were conspicuously miked up on pretty much every play throughout the season (it was especially bad in one game, Dallas I believe, not sure.) It was directional mike heaven.

PFnV

You can basically see that this competition committee is exacerbating the situation.

The NFL really gets no respect for me.

They allow teams like the Colts to change the rules, and then you have Bill Polian saying Ted Johnson got a cheat sheet.

Well, Bill, how about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

I'm so pissed that the Patriots can't blast these f***s for fear of raising the temperature even higher.

Especially Brady's audibles, which were conspicuously miked up on pretty much every play throughout the season (it was especially bad in one game, Dallas I believe, not sure.) It was directional mike heaven.

PFnV

"That's football," says the NFL's Steve Alic.

The Dolphins defense back in 2006 was that everyone enhances the audio of the network broadcasts to steal audibles. So what did the Pats do wrong?

If they weren't wouldn't the Dolphins have been fined?

Well, maybe, maybe not. Who knows? But it's clear, when you say, "That's football," you're also saying it's perfectly legal.

And then Bill Polian takes a cheapshot. It's no wonder he sent the videotape to Jay Glazer after he stole it from the NFL offices. This guy hates the Patriots.

Take your one Super Bowl that was a gift from the refs and shove it, Polian.

I don't get what you guys are complaining about. BB said the rules were against video taping to benefit THAT game, and he said he did it for future games, and therefore thought it wasn't agaisnt the rules.

Polian comes out and all but parrots exactly what BB said, backing him 100%, and you guys think this is a bad thing?

If you read the article I don't think Polian actually said the part about the audibles, I think the author just tried to make it look that way.

As Goodell previously stated, Polian doesn't believe the Patriots used the videotape from the opener for an advantage in their 38-14 victory against the Jets in Week 1. He thinks it was gathered for the purposes of future games.

Polian said videotape of sideline signals could be conceivably matched to game footage to decipher codes. Such a process might provide the type of advantage former Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson described during an interview with USA TODAY shortly after he retired in 2005.

"Every now and then I'd get a sheet, one hour before the game, with a list of audibles for our opponent," Johnson said in November 2005. "I don't know how, but they just showed up."

Last edited:
I don't get what you guys are complaining about. BB said the rules were against video taping to benefit THAT game, and he said he did it for future games, and therefore thought it wasn't agaisnt the rules.

Polian comes out and all but parrots exactly what BB said, backing him 100%, and you guys think this is a bad thing?

Did you read it?

He implied that there was something illegal going on with audibles and Ted Johnson.

Did you read that part?

space, i hear what your saying, but i think all of us are just tired of our pats being the whipping boys of the nfl. nobody likes polian, no matter what he's saying. so everything 'camera' related, is going to tick everyone off.

If you read the article I don't think Polian actually said the part about the audibles, I think the author just tried to make it look that way.

As Goodell previously stated, Polian doesn't believe the Patriots used the videotape from the opener for an advantage in their 38-14 victory against the Jets in Week 1. He thinks it was gathered for the purposes of future games.

Polian said videotape of sideline signals could be conceivably matched to game footage to decipher codes. Such a process might provide the type of advantage former Patriots linebacker Ted Johnson described during an interview with USA TODAY shortly after he retired in 2005.

"Every now and then I'd get a sheet, one hour before the game, with a list of audibles for our opponent," Johnson said in November 2005. "I don't know how, but they just showed up."

Good point, I could be wrong. But this would be a case of poor writing.

I teach journalism. When you paraphrase next to a quote, that's known as attribution if it's in the same paragraph. In other words, this should be taken as Polian's statement unless the reporter is a dunce.

Did you read it?

He implied that there was something illegal going on with audibles and Ted Johnson.

Did you read that part?
No, I didn't read that part, and neither did you.

Is there an adult at home right now? have him or her read it and explain it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes