PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have we been neglecting Tyron Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Lost in all the focus on the defensive side of the ball, we seem to lose track of the offensive line help that the Patriots could use. And even in the talk about offensive line help, the interior seems to be the focus. And even in the talk about the offensive tackle position, most of the conversation that I've read has discussed Costonzo, Solder, Carimi, and Sherrod. I think Tyron Smith has the best chance of all of them to be a long term LT starter. Maybe instead of switching Vollmer to LT, we're better off letting him excel on the right side and drafting Smith. If Light is re-signed for two more years, Smith can get his feet wet as a swing tackle/backup and be ready for prime time in a year or two.

I know the argument against using a first round pick to draft a guy who'll be a reserve for at least a year, and in fact I've used it more than once. However, LT is an important enough position that not many athletes are ready to play effectively right out of college, and it might warrant drafting one a year or two early. We're going to have to use a high pick on a tackle this year or next. Keeping that in mind:

If we were to construct a scenario where Watt, Jordan, and Kerrigan are off the board in the first 13 picks, and Smith is still there at 14, would it be worth a small trade up to nab a potential Pro Bowl left tackle, instead of taking a guy like Heyward or Wilkerson or trading down with the pick? If we were to trade up to 14 at the cost of 17 and 60, while getting a 3rd rounder back, I'd be extremely comfortable with it.

Was watching a report on him a few days ago and having similar thoughts.

I really liked him from the start however most projections early on had him going in the 6-9 range so I wrote him off as being available. Now as others have risen, more than his stock really falling, perhaps he is available at 17 or close to it making it a realistic option.

Part two is I think there's better value in drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd and moving Vollmer to LT as the long term starter.

Third if we are trading up I hope its for a stud DE who they feel can be an impact player at some point year one. I'd much rather they go from 17 to 10 to get Watt than 17 to 13 to get Smith.

FWIW, in my mildly pessimistic mocks T. Smith, Watt, Jordan & Kerrigan are all gone by #17 every time...but at least one always makes it to #14. This doesn't look like a "sit back and let the draft come to you" year.

There's no question that Tyron Smith is an extraordinary prospect.

The main reason that I don't want us to go after him are simply because Defensive End offers a Perfect Storm of Need + Opportunity.

Of course, I also see Willie "Fresh Prince" Smith ~ a Late Rounder ~ as being the 2nd best Left Tackle prospect in the draft, behind Tyron, himself, and ahead of the rest of that lot.

And I see David Mims ~ a VERY Late Rounder ~ as being the VERY best Right Tackle prospect in the entire Draft, though of course we'd need him to burn off a few pounds.

I'd also like to see what Steve Maneri can do.

For now, I'm assuming we still have All Pro Matt Light.

And if a clear 10 Year solution doesn't arise from a combination of any of the above with Sebastian The Cruel, there are about 5 guys I'd love to take a look at, next year, particularly Riley Reiff.

Neglecting? NE was at UCLA yesterday, I'd be mildly surprised if they weren't at USC today.

As far as verbose waves of man love (or playah love for patchick and any alternative lifestyle lads) for the kid - why? Wes Bunting loves him? Strike one. He played right tackle? Ball one. He's projected by draftnikkers to the first half of the first round? Pushed foul, ball two.

Is a tackle there a better value then a 3-4 DE or OLB or CB? Maybe, but probably not in this draft class. My lying eyes, yes it's them again, didn't see Smith doing anything special in the USC games I watched - instead I wound up watching the LT and hoping he was declaring early.

Speaking of Bunting; NFP had a nice analysis piece covering both Ty Smith and Nate Solder from their former Chicago Bears Dir. of College Scouting. Nice read, even though he was higher on Smith - at least the things he described with Solder I saw with my own eyes, which is why I think the kid is the better choice for NE, especially if they trade down a few slots should the #17 values be lame.

He's projected by draftnikkers to the first half of the first round? Pushed foul, ball two.

I think you may need a refresher on the rules of baseball....

I'm not really high on Solder. I think the legit first round LT prospects are Smith and Sherrod, and a significant gap between them. Smith is the only one of the group who I think would have cracked last year's first round, for whatever that's worth.

If Solder was a bit more agile, I'd turn him into an OLB.

If Belichick rates Smith as a potential pro-bowl LT, then he could very well trade up for him as he might for Watt or Jordan or Jones.

For me, that would mean that Light was gone. I don't think that Light would sign a contract that would make sense for the pats if we have a starter ready to go. Light would be gone and Kaczur and Smith might compete for awhile. Alternatively, Vollmer could move to LT while Smith develops and competes with Kaczur for his RT starting spot.

I would have no problem going into the season with Vollmer, Smith, Kaczur, Maneri/LeVoir/fa. Getting a backup vet OT is rarely a problem in free agency.

HOWEVER, my preference is to keep Light.

The WILDCARD is that if we draft Smith in the first 16, we may be able to either get him at a reduced rate because of a salary cap, or sign him for 5-6 years if there is no cap. It woul seem likely that both changes to rookie contracts would take place in either 2011 or 2012 together.

We have been talking about Solder, Sherrod and Carimi at 28 or 33. Some analysts had been talking about Castonzo at 17, but not here, unless the talk of best tackle available at 17 counts. So, I agree. If we are really considering a starting OT for 2011 or 2012, Smith should be considered at 17 or even with a slight trade up.

Last edited:
I'd take Smith at #17 (or slightly higher via a small trade up) in a heartbeat

Vollmer and Smith can bookend Brady till he retires

I think you may need a refresher on the rules of baseball....

I'm not really high on Solder. I think the legit first round LT prospects are Smith and Sherrod, and a significant gap between them. Smith is the only one of the group who I think would have cracked last year's first round, for whatever that's worth.

If Solder was a bit more agile, I'd turn him into an OLB.
Heh, baseball is simple enough, you just kick the ball into the basket before you cross the blue line.

So far as we have seen reported, Scar has worked with Castonzo and Solder. No Carimi, no Smith (though that may change after today), no Sherrod. Carimi doesn't surprise me. I thought Sherrod would earn a look, but nothing reported so far - and I'm of the opinion Sherrod would be worked out if Scar was interested, any smoke screen would be with an official visit or lack thereof.

In comparison to prior draft picks, Sherrod's Combine numbers would grade him out in rounds three to four. I know, shorts and t-shirts, but the numbers of prior kids taken in rounds one and two are pretty consistent, and the only kids with similar measures of athleticism have been or will be worked out by Scar. Interesting don't you think?

castonzo seems to be the safest bet at OT.......if for no other reason than the fact that generally speaking, BC OL prospects never disappoint

i don't know, took colombo a while.

Trueblood doesn't look so hot either. I guess BC linemen are safe picks, but they certainly don't always live up to their draft status.

The other night I decided to zero in on Smith and find out everything I could. What shocked me is that several publications and site listed him at 280-285. Others had him at 303. Why the difference?

People were high on Maybin but he played at 225 in college, and that is not NFL size, although he was listed at 255 for the draft. He has not done well as a pro so far.

Smith has quick feet and long arms which is very good for OLT. He is reported to be a very good run blocker and gets to the second level quickly. But he can be bull rushed and pushed back into the backfield pass blocking.

So, in spite of some very good atributes, I'm going to take a pass on him and I hope that BB does. If he is there in the 2nd round, and can improve his bulk without losing his quickness, then he could be a pick there, but not at #17 or even #28 IMVHO.

Last edited:
Smith has quick feet and long arms which is very good for OLT. He is reported to be a very good run blocker and gets to the second level quickly. But he can be bull rushed and pushed back into the backfield pass blocking.

Interesting that Smith was stuck at ROT at USC because Kalil was a beast at LOT last season.

I think Dallas has Smith penciled in at #9 unless Peterson drops to them.

ANALYSTS have Smith penciled in at 9 for Dallas.

Dallas hasn't drafted an offensive lineman in the first round since 1981, never under Jerry Jones. Why should this year be any different?

Yes, almost everyone agrees that Smith or Castanzo is the best value for Dallas at 9.

Interesting that Smith was stuck at ROT at USC because Kalil was a beast at LOT last season.

I think Dallas has Smith penciled in at #9 unless Peterson drops to them.

The other night I decided to zero in on Smith and find out everything I could. What shocked me is that several publications and site listed him at 280-285. Others had him at 303. Why the difference?

People were high on Maybin but he played at 225 in college, and that is not NFL size, although he was listed at 255 for the draft. He has not done well as a pro so far.

So, in spite of some very good atributes, I'm going to take a pass on him and I hope that BB does. If he is there in the 2nd round, and can improve his bulk without losing his quickness, then he could be a pick there, but not at #17 or even #28 IMVHO.
Yes, he was reported to be playing at 285 last season and he bulked up over 300 after the season. His official Combine weigh-in was 307.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes