PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has anyone on this board predicted more than one Patriot pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I love reading up on all the prospects and reading all the opinions but I was wondering what kind of luck the draftniks on this board have in guessing BB's picks.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I had Chung and Vollmer last year :)

:eek:

Tell me your 1st and 3 2nd round picks. Like or hate them, they could be what we see during the draft. :D

Yeah, but you had the clear insider Euroedge. :p

Seriously, awesome call, buddy. For sheer understanding and knowledge, it is hard to top Box. Patchick is the brightest poster, and is uncannily accurate in prediction of trends and tendencies. Ochmed has true understanding of the game, and Uncle Heatster is a wealth of insight. Mayoclinic, who is currently MIA, is also an abundance of info. The rest of us are generally speculative.

That said, this is the home forum for some of the most educated football minds on the forum.

Yeah, but you had the clear insider Euroedge. :p

Seriously, awesome call, buddy. For sheer understanding and knowledge, it is hard to top Box. Patchick is the brightest poster, and is uncannily accurate in prediction of trends and tendencies. Ochmed has true understanding of the game, and Uncle Heatster is a wealth of insight. Mayoclinic, who is currently MIA, is also an abundance of info. The rest of us are generally speculative.

That said, this is the home forum for some of the most educated football minds on the forum.
And we score correctly as often as a politician declines a campaign contribution. :confused2:

Hit on Chung and Butler last year.
I don't remember ever hitting on more than 2 pats prospects in one year though.

I believe I hit on TBC and Warren in 2003, but I think most people thought we'd take Warren that year as well. It was rumored shortly before the draft or something like that.

I got Chung, Butler, and Edelman last year for the Patriots. Prior to that I didn't really follow the draft very closely, though I did start a few months before the 08 draft began, and really wanted Chris Johnson. Obviously, we didn't draft him, and I didn't get any Pats picks right. My family got tired of hearing how great CJ2K was gonna be. Hah. I totally hit a homerun on that one. Still, I've had just as many misses as hits, if not more. I just got lucky last year. *shrug*

I got Chung and Butler as well. Those two were pretty obvious. Pats need severe DB help; Chung was the highest rated SS coming out of college and Butler was tied with Davis as the top CB. Davis had character issues which left Butler.

In our annual draft contest, 1 is a good score and anything above puts you in the running for the top prize. One year the winning score was a whopping 1.5, with half credit for a mixup of Brandon and Reggie Meriweather.

So yep, our annual prediction efforts are a bit quixotic. To put it in perspective, about 100 more players are invited to the Combine each year than are drafted. Yet last year the Pats managed to draft 4 non-Combine players! How does a draftnik stand a chance?

:bricks:

So yep, our annual prediction efforts are a bit quixotic. To put it in perspective, about 100 more players are invited to the Combine each year than are drafted. Yet last year the Pats managed to draft 4 non-Combine players! How does a draftnik stand a chance?

By scouring the small school top 100 and all the bowl games (such as the east west shrine game and texas vs the nation - mankins, kaczur, and vollmer all played in one of those bowl games)? :D

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-lineman-show-off-at-texas-vs-nation-practice

Last edited:
I'm sure I could guess "trade down" for every pick and get more than 2 right ;)

Not a lot for me. I had the obvious Seymour, Warren, Wilfork trio in their years. I had Butler last year (before we traded down). I'll admit to Chad Jackson too :( Also Mankins but I was thinking round 2-3 not round 1.

By scouring the small school top 100 and all the bowl games (such as the east west shrine game and texas vs the nation - mankins, kaczur, and vollmer all played in one of those bowl games)? :D

You betcha -- along with how many hundred others in the past few years alone? :)

That's all I was trying to say, that the pool you have to familiarize yourself with is huge, 500+ players. With 7 picks, that makes your expected chances of getting even 1 right just 1 in 70. Yet last year, a majority of contest entrants hit on at least 1 pick. So we're actually GENIUSES!!

:p

Not a lot for me. I had the obvious Seymour, Warren, Wilfork trio in their years. I had Butler last year (before we traded down). I'll admit to Chad Jackson too :( Also Mankins but I was thinking round 2-3 not round 1.

I picked some who have worked out nicely -- Wilfork, Mankins, Gostkowski -- and then there was Ryan Claridge.
shrug.gif

In the interest of public humiliation, I just went and dug up my oldest contest entry still hanging around on the board -- 2007, when I hit on zero (with an honorable mention for UDFA Matt Gutierrez). Funny how I keep listing punters year after year after year...

Stewart Bradley, LB, Nebraska
Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown
Josh Gattis, S, Wake Forest
Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St
Michael Griffin, S, Texas
Matt Gutierrez, QB, Idaho St
David Harris, LB, Michigan
Sabby Piscitelli, S, Oregon St
Adam Podlesh, P, Maryland
Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada

In our annual draft contest, 1 is a good score and anything above puts you in the running for the top prize. One year the winning score was a whopping 1.5, with half credit for a mixup of Brandon and Reggie Meriweather.

that's my favorite draft game. Has anyone gotten 3?

In fairness to everybody that makes these predictions, it's pretty tough to have a good idea who the team will draft when you are also guessing who will still be available, and what trades will be made at the same time.

For example the Pats may all be on board to draft player X, but he gets drafted one or two slots earlier than expected. A bunch of fans (as well as the front office) predicted he would be drafted by the Pats, but that didn't happen; does that mean they are all clueless because they didn't get that draft pick right?

For comparison sake I wouldn't mind seeing a single 'live' thread with predictions made after the pick previous to the Pats selection for each or their draft picks. You could even predict 'trade down', 'trade for a player', or 'trade into a future year' too.

that's my favorite draft game. Has anyone gotten 3?

Not in my memory. Speaking for myself, I don't try to predict every pick, but I throw a cluster of 2-4 guys who play a position of need and hopefully one of them is drafted. If I were doing it right now, I'd probably put Odrick, A. Jones, Geathers, and Deaderick on the list. And would hopefully get one winner out of the mix. And then maybe Hughes, Sapp, and Worilds. And hopefully get one more. And then maybe Gilyard, Price, Benn. I suspect others use the same methodology, so three is probably the max if everything breaks right.

Not in my memory. Speaking for myself, I don't try to predict every pick, but I throw a cluster of 2-4 guys who play a position of need and hopefully one of them is drafted. If I were doing it right now, I'd probably put Odrick, A. Jones, Geathers, and Deaderick on the list. And would hopefully get one winner out of the mix. And then maybe Hughes, Sapp, and Worilds. And hopefully get one more. And then maybe Gilyard, Price, Benn. I suspect others use the same methodology, so three is probably the max if everything breaks right.

You're not applying the M or W rule this year?

You're not applying the M or W rule this year?

I'm unclear what said rule states. I plan on choosing all men for my picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down