PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harrison says Tyree was Asante Samuel’s man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kill this ***inine thread!!!!!!!

Make that whole game. Gave up a TD (again blown coverage), whiffed on a game ending pick, blew the coverage on Tyree and then basically stood and watched Rodney grappling with him...

And yet the kneejerks (yes we had them back then, too) all wanted to blame the RCB who did his job all game long until he was hung out to dry or the QB who was beat to **** but still managed to stake them to a lead with 2 minutes left to defend a 90 yard field...

Spot on!

Many Patsfans owe Ellis Hobbs III an apology. You know who you are.

If anyone needs any further evidence of how Harrison has forgotten the Patriot Way, they should take note of this. As Mo points out, this is not a great revelation of fact about Samuel's screwup on that play, but it sure tells you a lot about Harrison's character, or to be more precise, his lack of character. Blowing the biggest play of his career is pretty haunting, I guess. Keep that in mind on Sunday when he goes "all in" for the Giants.

Rodney played lights out for us when he was a Patriot. IMO, he can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Man... Rodney...
I did see him tell Brady to "take off the skirt" after he wanted the flag in the Ravens game. That did irk me.

But over all I have to say Rodney Harrison is one of my favorite Patriot defensive players of all time. I used to love watching him launch himself like a missile with perfect timing at receivers just as they caught the ball to knock it out and the receiver senseless.

...Those were the days.

So if Rodney Harrison says it...

Let's go get 'em!

As Mo pointed out, many of us stated this either right after the game or within hours of the game ending. There were tons of people blaming Ellis Hobbs (who was playing through a double sports hernia) and Rodney, but the reality is that Asante Samuel played like garbage that day. The Tyree TD. The interception that he missed and then laughed about. And then the miraculous catch by Tyree even though Manning should have been called down.

I think that Rodney has every right to call out Samuel now. It's part of his job as an analyst.

That's a crock and just shows how little understanding you have of this game. Rodney has avoided tossing his teamates under the bus other than as a team for the last 4 years even as fellow mediot beat the dead horse. He isn't a player anymore, he's an analyst and as such he's well within his rights to analyze what happened. He explained what the coverage was and how the play unfolded. He did his job, and then did his best to cover for a guy who didn't. Jarvis Green had Eli in his grasp, and he failed to bring him down. He's owned and lived with that. Rodney was exactly where he was supposed to be in cover 4 man and he's lived with being scapcoated by idiots for 4 years. Asante opted to gamble and release his man assuming Eli would either be sacked or attempt to throw the ball away. He's never owned any of his shortcomings, never did throughout his career, still doesn't to this day. Rodney turned around and saw ONE wide open receiver in the middle of the field as Eli escaped the sack. Asante's man. He did the best he could to get to that abandoned man and it took a freak effort on Tyree's part to hang onto that ball. As Asante stood and watched from about 15 yards away. He didn't lose a wink of sleep since he was flying out to the Pro Bowl in the AM to sell himself to the highest bidder. Asante never got the Patriot Way.

Wow, man, I don't have any problem with you taking a different view on this from me, but this (the bolded part) is uncalled for. I have great respect for your opinions, Mo, and have stated that explicitly in numerous posts (as few of those as I have contributed here!). I guess I did a pretty poor job expressing my feelings on this, but still your comment wasn't warranted here.

I'm well aware of the facts concerning this play, as much as are all of us poor schlubs sitting on the outside watching on TV, reading and listening to the commentary in the media, etc. I am in full agreement that Rodney did a great job both in that game and in his stint with the Patriots. But ... reacting to Eli's improvisation on a play such as that one was well within his responsibilities, and unfortunately for him and for all of us Pats fans he didn't get the job done. I don't blame him for what he did (thus my comment above about doing a poor job expresing my feelings), but for him to throw Assante under the bus at this point in time, in combination with the words I heard him say to Mut and Merloni last week, it makes me think he is kind of haunted by it. We all know your view on Assante, and I agree with you on that, including agreeing with your premise that the "root cause" of the problem on that play was Assante's screwup, not Harrison's. The fact that Assante didn't buy into the Patriot Way is not relevant to my original comment. So I take a back seat to very few Pats fans when it comes to my respect for what Harrison did in his time with the team. It is precisely because I have so much respect for what he did and how he appeared to conduct himself as a member of the team (in spite of the HGH episode ...) that caused me to react the way I did. I am just not a fan of those who throw their teammates (or coworkers in more conventional professional contexts) under the bus, I think it is wrong and pointless, irrespective of how many years it has been since the incident in question. Noone argues his "right" to do it, but to me it is not in keeping with the Patriot Way, and as such I don't care for it.

I still love ya', man!

Last edited:
If anyone needs any further evidence of how Harrison has forgotten the Patriot Way, they should take note of this. As Mo points out, this is not a great revelation of fact about Samuel's screwup on that play, but it sure tells you a lot about Harrison's character, or to be more precise, his lack of character. Blowing the biggest play of his career is pretty haunting, I guess. Keep that in mind on Sunday when he goes "all in" for the Giants.

His analysis is correct, he was a key member of a couple of SB teams.

BB says do your job, Asante didn't do his job, he was busy with the pay me tour.

Nonsense....

This is the worst thread of all time.

This is the worst thread of all time.

Guess you haven't been around much.. This is no where close to the worst thread of all time..

Was a fluke play. One that happens every 25 years. Harrison had perfect position and the dude still made the catch. Total fluke. Sports can be weird like that

God some of you have thin skin: "Worst thread of all time," "Please kill it," "please make it stop!" etc. Jeez, stuff happens--the Pats didn't play their best game that day, and the Giants caught all the lucky breaks. Get over it. We're playing them again this week under what is the perfect scenario IMO.

I see nothing wrong with NBC's Rodney Harrison, who just happens to have been on the other end of the Tyree catch, talking about it during this Super Bowl week. Rodney is one of the greatest Patriots of all time, and was a total bada$$ on that particular play. As someone else said, he did everything humanly possible to break it up. To say that he should have or could have "punched the ball out" is asinine.

The replay clearly shows that Tyree was his man. Asante did what Asante is known for, though. He gambled when it looked like the line would get to Eli and it was too late to do anything by the time he realized that the line did not get him and the ref did not blow the play dead. If he had held on to the INT, then none of the other stuff would matter.

But alas, that game is over with. We have one to look forward to on Sunday. Let's just focus on that.

Last edited:
The replay clearly shows that Tyree was his man. He did what Asante is known for, though. He gambled when it looked like the line would get to Eli and it was too late to do anything by the time he realized that the line did not get him and the ref did not blow the play dead. If he had held on to the INT, then none of the other stuff would matter.

But alas, that game is over with. We have one to look forward to on Sunday. Let's just focus on that.

The line DID get Eli. He was clearly in the grasp. Mike Carrey said so after the game. He was supposedly just so amazed that Manning didn't go down he didn't blow the whistle.

God some of you have thin skin: "Worst thread of all time," "Please kill it," "please make it stop!" etc. Jeez, stuff happens--the Pats didn't play their best game that day, and the Giants caught all the lucky breaks. Get over it. We're playing them again this week under what is the perfect scenario IMO.

I see nothing wrong with NBC's Rodney Harrison, who just happens to have been on the other end of the Tyree catch, talking about it during this Super Bowl week. Rodney is one of the greatest Patriots of all time, and was a total bada$$ on that particular play. As someone else said, he did everything humanly possible to break it up. To say that he should have or could have "punched the ball out" is asinine.

We need a mentally tough fan base to match this mentally tough team.

The line DID get Eli. He was clearly in the grasp. Mike Carrey said so after the game. He was supposedly just so amazed that Manning didn't go down he didn't blow the whistle.

And that's what I mean, DaBruinz. I agree with you that the line had him and you could even see Carrey take more than a few steps forward, which usually means he's getting ready to blow the play dead. Nonetheless, the line did not get Eli because the play was not blown dead. That's where I was coming from. But I agree that he was in the grasp, Da.

If rodney was 2 years younger, tyree would have needed surgery to remove his helmet from his skull.

Guess you haven't been around much.. This is no where close to the worst thread of all time..

The Tom Brady's hair threads take that honor imo.

Re: Harrison says Tyree was Asante Samuel’s man

The football gods where on the Giants side on that last drive. It is what it is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back