PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard Reset- What we can expect

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Next several years will be painful.
Minimum of 3-4 years of 3rd or 4th place in AFC east. At least 1-2 more top 10 picks
Some bad football for at least the next 2 years (probably longer)
Little national attention
Old time pats fans have seen this before in the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's
It's not fun. Usually eliminated from realistic shot at playoffs early.
True test as to who are loyal Pats fans and who are bandwagons.
A soft reset after Brady left WAS possible but way too many roster building mistakes by Bill and failure to adapt to the modern game (which requires electric offense to be a contender)
Some teams have sucked for a decade or longer after hard reset (see Jets)

New GM
New coach
New OL
New QB
New RBs
New WR
New TEs

Last edited:
If a new offensive system is good, the top 2 QB hits, they spend heavily in free agency and their signees also hit, and they are able to maintain a top 10 defense despite the loss of Belichick (maybe they keep Mayo as DC?) then I can see this team turning it around pretty quickly. Buffalo is on a downtrend and Miami is also kind of in a limited window before they need to pay Tua. Similarly the Jets probably only get 1, maybe 2 years of Rodgers. The rest of the AFC is not that scary. I can see them as a wild card team in '24 if all of the above happen.

Minimum of 3-4 years of 3rd or 4th place in AFC east. At least 1-2 more top 10 picks
It's not fun. Usually eliminated from realistic shot at playoffs early.
True test as to who are loyal Pats fans and who are bandwagons.
A soft reset after Brady left WAS p[possible but way too many roster building mistakes by Bill and failure to adapt to the modern game (which requires electric offense to be a contender)
Some teams have sucked for a decade or longer after hard reset (see Jets)

New GM
New coach
New OL
New QB
New RBs
New WR
New TEs
I think we need to realize that these are different times. Back in those days there was no internet, Mobile phone, social media, tiktok.

Sports was the primary entertainment. Now people have options and lower attention span. So if the team keeps losing Why subject yourself to torture rather than tuning out.

Everybody today becomes a fan when there is some excitement to the game. When you lose you take away excitement or value prop to consumer.

You dont need to call out thise as bandwagons because majority will be like that . If you stilk want to call them that , thats fine, but nite majority of fans will be like that and without them you will have no game to follow with . It's just the name of the game or Aptly called consumerism.

Last edited:
Honestly the whole coaching staff needs to go along with the whole scouting department. Then almost the entire offense needs to be turned over within the next couple years. I know you can't blow that entire side of the ball up at the same time but in 2 years from now there should really be only a few guys on this 2023 offense that should be on the 2025 offense.

This is all predicated on hitting on a rookie QB. Here is how it goes for most bottom of the barrel teams that draft a rookie QB high:

Year 1: Suck and get a top pick -> pats are here
Year 2: Rookie QB season. Surround him with adequate weapons and OL to not ruin him. Rookie QBs usually have ups and downs obviously. Team probably finishes top 10-15 in the draft but they are more entertaining than year 1.
Year 3: Either draft a first round rookie WR or use the pick to acquire a WR1. Chase, Smith, Waddle were drafted in year 2 of the rookie QB contract. Rookie QB improves in year 2 & the team is a wildcard contender.
Year 4: At this point you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal. You acquire talent and go all-in on the next 2-3 years as a superbowl contender.

The bills, bengals, dolphins, eagles have followed this to some extent (hurts round 2). Sometimes the QB is so good you’re ahead of schedule like the bengals.

I think the pats defense with judon & gonzalez back along with potentially signing a CB2 changes the formula somewhat. Year 2 can be a wildcard team atleast.

This is all predicated on hitting on a rookie QB. Here is how it goes for most bottom of the barrel teams that draft a rookie QB high:

Year 1: Suck and get a top pick -> pats are here
Year 2: Rookie QB season. Surround him with adequate weapons and OL to not ruin him. Rookie QBs usually have ups and downs obviously. Team probably finishes top 10-15 in the draft but they are more entertaining than year 1.
Year 3: Either draft a first round rookie WR or use the pick to acquire a WR1. Chase, Smith, Waddle were drafted in year 2 of the rookie QB contract. Rookie QB improves in year 2 & the team is a wildcard contender.
Year 4: At this point you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal. You acquire talent and go all-in on the next 2-3 years as a superbowl contender.

The bills, bengals, dolphins, eagles have followed this to some extent (hurts round 2). Sometimes the QB is so good you’re ahead of schedule like the bengals.

I think the pats defense with judon & gonzalez back along with potentially signing a CB2 changes the formula somewhat. Year 2 can be a wildcard team atleast.
Great post. I just think we should use the last 3 games to see which of reagor, boutte, Thornton are worth investing for year 2 .

Start planning for more usage out of them even if it leads to more losses or picks .

Bill trying to wriggle out some wins us screwing up our opportunity to see who will be the contributors for next year .

I would just use this as a preseason for 2024 and audition everyone out and weed out the Worst JAGs.

Honestly the whole coaching staff needs to go along with the whole scouting department. Then almost the entire offense needs to be turned over within the next couple years. I know you can't blow that entire side of the ball up at the same time but in 2 years from now there should really be only a few guys on this 2023 offense that should be on the 2025 offense.
The Homers will disagree.

We do have a lot of money to spend over the next couple of years. If we get lucky drafting a qb, the rebuild might not be too painful.

I’ll admit that, while I’ve watched every game this year and likely always will, I haven’t followed the team as closely because of the product. Case in point yesterday I found myself audibly saying “who the F is Alex Austin?”. I used to know the roster in real time top to bottom.

In my case, I have also become a huge college fan this last 6 years or so, and I have kids who play sports themselves AND are huge celtics fans so we tend to spread the attention around.

I do think the Krafts wallets will suffer if they don’t figure it out fast.

They haven’t really experienced that so should be interesting.

I agree though…statistically speaking it likely will be a rough few years.

Why does the defensive coaching staff “ have to go?” They have very good defense despite having an offense that screws them every week.

Why does the defensive coaching staff “ have to go?” They have very good defense despite having an offense that screws them every week.
The D coaching staff consists of two of the sons of the guy that's getting fired. Do you think they're going to stick around?

Still baffles me people still think this is the mid 70's, and the only way out is the John McKay 5 year plan.

Look at the Texans two years ago compared to how they look now. Look at Jacksonville in 2021 vs. 2022. Detroit two years ago compared to now.

Rebuilds don't take 4 years anymore. They are more 1-2 at max. A franchise QB greatly speeds that process up.

If you hit at QB this offseason, and maintain this defense..

This team can be a WC team next year. I truly believe that. That doesn't mean the team wouldn't still have flaws preventing it from going further (OL, WR issues for one) But it's good enough to win games fast.

If you commit to a hard reset and a vision you can turn thing around in a two to three years. The 49'ers post Harbaugh are a good example.

If you are wishy washy and look for reasons to trick yourself into taking shortcuts and being inactive, you won't and will be middling.

Still baffles me people still think this is the mid 70's, and the only way out is the John McKay 5 year plan.

Look at the Texans two years ago compared to how they look now. Look at Jacksonville in 2021 vs. 2022. Detroit two years ago compared to now.

Rebuilds don't take 4 years anymore. They are more 1-2 at max. A franchise QB greatly speeds that process up.
The wuick turn around is the exception not the rule and completely depends on getting lucky and hitting the jackpit with the qb

The D coaching staff consists of two of the sons of the guy that's getting fired. Do you think they're going to stick around?
That is entirely different question. The poster syggested that the coaches HAD to go, presmuably because they were so bad.

The wuick turn around is the exception not the rule and completely depends on getting lucky and hitting the jackpit with the qb
Well, having a top 2-3 pick in a strong QB class greatly increases those odds.

Sometimes, finding a middle aged QB that plays above average at the position can turn things around fast as well, like we've seen in Detroit with Goff, KC with Alex Smith back in 13-14. Cousins would definitely do that, if we aren't in a position to take a QB early.

Because I don't want any lingering ties to the dynasty. Time to move on from that era. We have seen too many Bill disciples fall on their faces over and over again to put one in place here with the added pressure of following him.

Well, having a top 2-3 pick in a strong QB class greatly increases those odds.

Sometimes, finding a middle aged QB that plays above average at the position can turn things around fast as well, like we've seen in Detroit with Goff, KC with Alex Smith back in 13-14. Cousins would definitely do that, if we aren't in a position to take a QB early.
Oh we will be in position.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back