PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard pass on Flacco

You said Rodgers...
Sad Milana Vayntrub GIF
I did I D.I.D. :)
Tonight Show Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Valid concerns we have to wonder if Nathan Rourke is any good I don't want either Bailey/Mac back. I can't see us carrying Four QB's with all the needs. I would do this if Rourke is just a Jag Jump Ball Joe - Rookie QB @ 3 - Rookie QB Day 3 maybe Day 2 if Michael Penix Jr is still on the board. I think we are double dipping at @QB I can see a Rattler or Michael Pratt in the Third Round. I think this New Patriots Brass is doing their due diligence and will load up at certain positions just to make sure.
I'm with you on Mac/Zappe - I would prefer to have neither one back.

If Penix is still available on Day 2? While that is tempting, my concern is that there are so many other positions of need, can the team afford to use that early of a pick on a player that is (hopefully) never going to start?

I do like the idea of a later double dip with either Rattler or Pratt.

Joe Flacco was out of the league a few months ago, getting 3/4/5 million a year to potentially play a few games at the start of the season and then hold a clipboard for a couple of seasons could be exactly what he wants.

When you're drafting a QB 3rd overall you're not really wanting competition for him are you, you're wanting someone in the Flacco mode who knows he's at the end and collecting some retirement money and just happy to be in the league.

I agree, that’s why I said that Flacco just wants to play, as opposed to the free agent QB’s who want a chance to show they are worth another significant contract. I would love to see them get Tannehill, but I think he may want to go to a team with more talent so he can have a bigger season and get another good deal next year, similar to what Mayfield did last season.

I guess my thought is that a 39 year old Flacco is better than Minshew/Brissett/Winston and way less expensive than Cousins or Mayfield. It's almost a scenario of which QB is going to be the sacrificial lamb. Joe's seen it all. Of all that's out there, he's the one that likely knows the answers to the test, as someone we know says. Is there a faster decision maker out there, one that can get the ball out in 2-3 seconds? Yes, but he's going to be 47 and in the booth.

Someone has to do it, right?

I hadn’t seen Minshew on any free agent lists, but when I just googled it he came up as a free agent, and he’s definitely someone I would like to see them go after.

I'm with you on Mac/Zappe - I would prefer to have neither one back.

If Penix is still available on Day 2? While that is tempting, my concern is that there are so many other positions of need, can the team afford to use that early of a pick on a player that is (hopefully) never going to start?

I do like the idea of a later double dip with either Rattler or Pratt.
I have feeling this QB class is much better than regarded and there will be some Solid Starter who were taken after the First. That said IF Penix Jr is around @ 34 we shouldn't pass I think he's as good as any in this Draft I really like him. It will be a gamble either way if our Rookie QB pan out as a Franchise QB we can move Penix Jr down the road good chess piece.

I have feeling this QB class is much better than regarded and there will be some Solid Starter who were taken after the First. That said IF Penix Jr is around @ 34 we shouldn't pass I think he's as good as any in this Draft I really like him. It will be a gamble either way if our Rookie QB pan out as a Franchise QB we can move Penix Jr down the road good chess piece.

I have no problem double dipping, but I would wait for Day 3 to do it. I want them to come out of the first 2 days with their QB of the future, a starting LT, and a starting ( 1st 3) receiver. They can go either OT in the 2nd and WR 3rd, or vice versa.

I have no problem double dipping, but I would wait for Day 3 to do it. I want them to come out of the first 2 days with their QB of the future, a starting LT, and a starting ( 1st 3) receiver. They can go either OT in the 2nd and WR 3rd, or vice versa.
I'm just a little greedy I know Michael Penix Jr is older and he had some injuries but did he play well this year love his overall game he's a beast from the pocket.

I'm just a little greedy I know Michael Penix Jr is older and he had some injuries but did he play well this year love his overall game he's a beast from the pocket.

I would be fine with them using a day 2 pick on a QB again next year, just to keep the room and competition at a high level, but this year I just want them to address those 3 needs the first 2 days of the Draft.

Flacco or whoever else has been around a few years and costs less than 5M.

Whoever they're absolutely sold on in R1.

Late round rookie or even Zappe as QB3, it's honestly irrelevant.

Mac on the other hand can't stick around, he'll just end up getting even more maligned, it'll be awkward, a distraction, etc, and nobody benefits from any of that.

I thought he was retired. Why would he be an option for this Pats team?

I thought he was retired. Why would he be an option for this Pats team?
Because we love the alternatives Bailey/Mac that Mile high air is beginning to affect you. :(
Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock

Last edited:
It seems like a perfect fit. AVP knows him well, was very productive in '23 throwing for 1600 yards in 5 regular season starts, 10-6 in the playoffs, is a former SB MVP, and isn't going to be a threat to sabotage a young draftee. We know that Wolf's history in GB will likely want a drafted QB to sit for a bit, and Flacco is 100% an upgrade over Mac and Zappe. I can not see a downside to Jump Ball Joe for a half to full season.
Flacco would be good on a 2 year deal, to run things for a half or full season this year and then be a mentor next year. He would be pretty cheap, and he would have no qualms about his role. Keep Zappe or Rourke as a guy to develop who can step in as QB2 early in the year while the rookie gets comfortable. Flacco only has a couple years left so you will want to see if one of Zappe or Rourke can be your long term QB2 behind the drafted guy.

Flacco or whoever else has been around a few years and costs less than 5M.

Whoever they're absolutely sold on in R1.

Late round rookie or even Zappe as QB3, it's honestly irrelevant.

Mac on the other hand can't stick around, he'll just end up getting even more maligned, it'll be awkward, a distraction, etc, and nobody benefits from any of that.
Somebody might give a 5th for him 49ers or Rams two good organizations for him.

Flacco?? McCarthy?? You have to be kidding me. This forum has lost its mind

Think people's personal feelings on Flacco are the reason why they don't want him here.

For me? If your plan is to go QB at 3, have Flacco, and maybe keep Zappe on board as a younger dev QB3, I see no issue with that room. An experienced vet like Flacco could be huge for the QB room.

Granted, I would possibly prefer a guy like Brissett if choosing between the two, but he may be a bit more expensive.
Cousin,
Ah breakfast. Two pieces of fresh buttered heated banana raisin bread and a cup of hot Team with some grape cranberry juice and I am off to do battle.

Respect your love for Brissett. I Think Flacco would bring us more wins..........But the better choice would be 27 year old Minshew giving him an opportunity to be the Pats QB starter for a season. The approaching 32 year old Brissett has two years on Minshew and they have the same passing yards. Minshew has had 59 TDs and 24 INT with a QB rating of 90.2 versus Brissett at 51 TDs and 23 INT and a QB rating of 85.3. Yards rushing are 621 for Minshew and 915 in two more years for Brissett. Teams wins for both were not outstanding as Minshew has 22-27 versus Brissett at 37-48 and 18-30 as ma starter to Minshew's 15-22 as a starter.
Minshew is much more mobile and with our OL he will be running for his life because we did not address the OL in the top part of the Draft and appear to be Drafting a QB to sit.......Yikes! Brissett and Flacco are sitting ducks with our OL.

OK The scenario . 4th quarter down by 4 with 2 minutes left in the game and 0 time outs. Who do you want to finish the game for the win. Brissett, Falcco or Minshew? The true answer might be NADA but "bridge"it as you will.

The true answer is pick up the Damned phone, The Broncos are in a pickle.They have CAP issues and made an insane contract with Russell and need to bail that boat. They have two quality players on the last year of their contract we can poach as well to fill our needs. One Juedy has potential to be your #1 WR and 31 year old Boles is still playing at a high level at LT. We have a year to figure out those two. As far as Wilson, His stats last year were respectable. He is not Payton's cup of tea. He still had twice as many wins for them with a Team on paper that was about the same in talent. The Broncos have to pay his salary one way or the other so they can pay him here and as a bonus reduce their CAP.. Jones would look good in a Bronco uniform.A number one pick in 2025 works with their #12 this year.
Yes Art, give me Wilson for two years, Boles, and Juedy your #12 this year and #1 in 2025 foe our #3 and Jones please.

Would you be happy with an 8-9 win season and competitive at least versus another top five draft pick in 2025?
DW Toys

Cousin,
Who is going to block and catch for that savior?
DW Toys
We are in a full rebuild mode,
We won’t be on track to contend for at least 2-3 seasons.
Unles we get 5 starters out of this draft on offense.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back