PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hard pass on Flacco

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hope the report is not true (from Mary Cabot). Even as a bridge QB do not want the old geezer here. Would rather give Mac one more chance

I will take anyone over Mac Jones. The team does not believe in him, nor should they. There is no QB worse than him when the game is on the line. Zappe isn’t very good, but he was clearly a much better QB than Jones was.

Hope the report is not true (from Mary Cabot). Even as a bridge QB do not want the old geezer here. Would rather give Mac one more chance

Get Jump Ball Joe a Number 1 Type WR and TE and we are in the mix he threw for over 300yds consistently.

Flacco at his worst is better than Mac Jones on his best day.

People need to let go of the Mac Jones thing, he BLOWS, he doesn't do one single thing at a top 25 QB level in the NFL.

At least Flacco isn't a whiney baby who will be toxic to a rookie and he can at least chuck it down the field and be somewhat entertaining even if he's shot, you have to be a special kind of moron to want Mac around a draft pick after the debacle with him and Zappe.

The QB room needs completely incinerated and build from ground up with a rookie and a veteran backup who can hold the fort if the rookie isn't ready then be happy to hold a clipboard, we don't need any Mac Jones whining going on.

The bigger question is why would any of these QB’s want to sign here. With Flacco it’s just to play, whereas any of them wanting a bigger payday down the road are going to look at the OL and Receivers and seriously question it.

Flacco at his worst is better than Mac Jones on his best day.

People need to let go of the Mac Jones thing, he BLOWS, he doesn't do one single thing at a top 25 QB level in the NFL.

At least Flacco isn't a whiney baby who will be toxic to a rookie and he can at least chuck it down the field and be somewhat entertaining even if he's shot, you have to be a special kind of moron to want Mac around a draft pick after the debacle with him and Zappe.

The QB room needs completely incinerated and build from ground up with a rookie and a veteran backup who can hold the fort if the rookie isn't ready then be happy to hold a clipboard, we don't need any Mac Jones whining going on.

Agree completely. The last thing I would want is Mac Jones around their rookie QB. If they can’t get a 7th for him then just cut him.

Flacco has a cannon still.
Compared to Mac Jones. :)
mariah carey girl GIF

Drunk Happy Hour GIF

The bigger question is why would any of these QB’s want to sign here. With Flacco it’s just to play, whereas any of them wanting a bigger payday down the road are going to look at the OL and Receivers and seriously question it.
Joe Flacco was out of the league a few months ago, getting 3/4/5 million a year to potentially play a few games at the start of the season and then hold a clipboard for a couple of seasons could be exactly what he wants.

When you're drafting a QB 3rd overall you're not really wanting competition for him are you, you're wanting someone in the Flacco mode who knows he's at the end and collecting some retirement money and just happy to be in the league.

It seems like a perfect fit. AVP knows him well, was very productive in '23 throwing for 1600 yards in 5 regular season starts, 10-6 in the playoffs, is a former SB MVP, and isn't going to be a threat to sabotage a young draftee. We know that Wolf's history in GB will likely want a drafted QB to sit for a bit, and Flacco is 100% an upgrade over Mac and Zappe. I can not see a downside to Jump Ball Joe for a half to full season.

I recall reading recently that Wolf and his mentors have a history of preferring their rookie QB to sit, watch and learn in his first NFL season, then take over in Year 2. If that is going to be the plan for 2024, then Joe Flacco may not the best choice. Last year he only came on to play the final five games of the regular season, when the Browns were desperate after having already gone through four other players to start at QB. Flacco is 39 and has not been called upon to be the starter for a full season since 2017 - which is also the last time prior to 2023 that he had a season with a winning record. I'm concerned that he would not be the ideal candidate to make it through the full season.

If the OL is not fixed - a big ask to have happen in a single offseason - I don't think he will last the full year. And we don't yet know how much of an improvement there will be in the receiving corps either. Again in one single offseason of a rebuild, it is realistically going to be a downgrade from what he had in Cleveland: Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore and Cedric Tillman at WR, TE David Njoku and RB Jerome Ford.

So if/when Flacoo falters or is injured, then what? Put in the rookie that you didn't want to start? Insert another short term starter? Part of me likes the idea of bringing in Flacco as that bridge veteran QB, but I have some concerns with him as well.

It seems like a perfect fit. AVP knows him well, was very productive in '23 throwing for 1600 yards in 5 regular season starts, 10-6 in the playoffs, is a former SB MVP, and isn't going to be a threat to sabotage a young draftee. We know that Wolf's history in GB will likely want a drafted QB to sit for a bit, and Flacco is 100% an upgrade over Mac and Zappe. I can not see a downside to Jump Ball Joe for a half to full season.
Plas the Seniors game would be fun Flacco vs Rodgers. :)

Think people's personal feelings on Flacco are the reason why they don't want him here.

For me? If your plan is to go QB at 3, have Flacco, and maybe keep Zappe on board as a younger dev QB3, I see no issue with that room. An experienced vet like Flacco could be huge for the QB room.

Granted, I would possibly prefer a guy like Brissett if choosing between the two, but he may be a bit more expensive.

If the OL is not fixed - a big ask to have happen in a single offseason - I don't think he will last the full year. And we don't yet know how much of an improvement there will be in the receiving corps either. Again in one single offseason of a rebuild, it is realistically going to be a downgrade from what he had in Cleveland: Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore and Cedric Tillman at WR, TE David Njoku and RB Jerome Ford.
You're fluffing up a few of these weapons. Moore is average, Tillman hasn't shown anything yet, and Ford is pedestrian.

I recall reading recently that Wolf and his mentors have a history of preferring their rookie QB to sit, watch and learn in his first NFL season, then take over in Year 2. If that is going to be the plan for 2024, then Joe Flacco may not the best choice. Last year he only came on to play the final five games of the regular season, when the Browns were desperate after having already gone through four other players to start at QB. Flacco is 39 and has not been called upon to be the starter for a full season since 2017 - which is also the last time prior to 2023 that he had a season with a winning record. I'm concerned that he would not be the ideal candidate to make it through the full season.

So if/when Flacoo falters or is injured, then what? Put in the rookie that you didn't want to start? Insert another short term starter? Part of me likes the idea of bringing in Flacco as that bridge veteran QB, but I have some concerns with him as well.
I guess my thought is that a 39 year old Flacco is better than Minshew/Brissett/Winston and way less expensive than Cousins or Mayfield. It's almost a scenario of which QB is going to be the sacrificial lamb. Joe's seen it all. Of all that's out there, he's the one that likely knows the answers to the test, as someone we know says. Is there a faster decision maker out there, one that can get the ball out in 2-3 seconds? Yes, but he's going to be 47 and in the booth.

Someone has to do it, right?

Valid concerns we have to wonder if Nathan Rourke is any good I don't want either Bailey/Mac back. I can't see us carrying Four QB's with all the needs. I would do this if Rourke is just a jag Jump Ball Joe - Rookie QB @ 3 - Rookie QB Day 3 maybe Day 2 if Michael Penix Jr is still on the board. I think we are double dipping at @QB I can see a Rattler or Michael Pratt in the Third Round. I think this New Patriots Brass is doing their due diligence and will load up at certain positions just to make sure.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back