PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harbaugh and Stalions twitter posts

It is amazing how ignorant our own fanbase is about Spygate. It is even more than "not being against the rules." What the Pats did was explicitly made legal in the rules. They just did it from a location that was a few dozen yards away from where the league said was OK, according the the league's interpretation of the language, which was ambiguous.
“A guy is giving signals in front of 80,000 people, OK?” Belichick said. “So we filmed them taking signals in front of 80,000 people"

Oh, god … the irony in seeing a Patriots’ fan get bent out of shape over alleged sign stealing.

This was premeditated … but the Patriots actions in ‘07 were not? Of course it was; that doesn’t happen spontaneously. A rather absurd distinction to draw between the situations.
Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

When the going gets tough Jim Harbaugh gets going.

His days were numbered at Michigan already.

Do you think whomever was behind the camera for the Pats spontaneously made a decision to go rogue, whip out a camera, and film? It wasn't something coordinated by the team in advance? Of course it was; it would be impossible to do so without prior coordination.

It's the exact same behavior. The only difference is the rules governing the respective leagues. Anyone who views the Pats' actions as fair play but Michigan's (alleged) actions as sinister, strikes me as either hypocritical or a slave to written rules. Again, the fundamental action (recording future opponents' signaling in an effort to better understand their plays) is exactly the the same in both cases.

In both cases, I don't have any problem with it. It's part of the advanced scouting process.

Last edited:
There must be something in the Michigan water...

There must be something in the Michigan water...

The official report may have been released today, but this is an old story. He presented some pretty good evidence to suggest the call was consensual, none the least of which was the fact that it lasted 28 minutes.

Georgia could give Michigan every single offensive game call and Georgia would still win.

Yes, exactly. It’s how the rule is written. The underlying behavior is fundamentally the same. One should determine how they feel about this type of thing based on the action itself, not the legislation regarding the action.

I’ve already said I don’t have much of an issue with it. Didn’t when the Pats did it. Don’t with Michigan. To quote BB, it’s part of the “mosaic” for preparing to play a team competitively. It’s not the end-all-be-all and it’s certainly not an “auto-win” card. Players have to execute, throw accurate passes, catch the ball, block, so forth. It’s a small piece of the puzzle, and certainly could be helpful/beneficial, but, again, not the end-all-be-all.
I do disagree totally with this.

If it's against the rules, teams are prohibited from doing it.

If it's allowed under the rules, teams can do it.

This makes a huge difference. Consider that teams get the All-22 each week and that's there for them to be able to determine which personnel groupings will lead to what kind of plays, etc. It's scouting. It's allowed.

Eh. Ya got caught. Do what you gotta do (within reason), but don't get caught. Sorry bud. Welcome to the club.

The "they should have scouted TCU" jokes are just writing themselves.
scUM did scout TCU, which was warned by multiple Big Ten teams including Ohio State about the sign stealing.

So TCU used their old signs as dummies and developed new ones, telling the players to ignore the old ones.

That’s why Michigan looked so funky and out of sorts.
Roses are red
Michigan is blue
Without their signs
They lost to TCU

this thread almost makes me think that plenty of pats fans don't even know what spygate was about...

spygate was very simple, we placed our camera dudes recording the other sideline in an unauthorized location. Had we reserved a seat in the stands to have them record, it would have all been legal and following the rules

this thread almost makes me think that plenty of pats fans don't even know what spygate was about...

spygate was very simple, we placed our camera dudes recording the other sideline in an unauthorized location. Had we reserved a seat in the stands to have them record, it would have all been legal and following the rules

Yeah it’s frustrating that apparently most people following this have no idea just how much more restrictive the NCAA rules are compared to the NFL. And how Michigan has allegedly violated them in hilariously egregious ways.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back