PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy Seventh Anniversary of the Dumbest Play in NFL History

The Funt is the football equivalent of the gift that keeps on giving. It may age but it never gets old.

It’s not the funniest (buttfumble) but it IS the dumbest. I have seen the clip of McAffey attempt to explain the “logic” but I don’t buy it. The whole thing was absolutely nonsensical.
Agree. The buttfumble was outrageously bad execution, this was outrageously bad coaching/planning/scheme.

It’s not the funniest (buttfumble) but it IS the dumbest. I have seen the clip of McAffey attempt to explain the “logic” but I don’t buy it. The whole thing was absolutely nonsensical.
the buttfumble wasn't a bad play... it was just Sanchez Jete-ing out... The Clots swinging gate was an actual "honest to god i cant believe they really called that play" play

Agree. The buttfumble was outrageously bad execution, this was outrageously bad coaching/planning/scheme.

Poor Chuck Pagano. The guy built some damn good D's as an assistant and coordinator but will forever be remembered as the author of The Funt

I honestly still believe that the ball wasn’t supposed to be snapped.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt of that.
Which still leaves the question of purpose of the formation. To draw a penalty of some kind? Require the Pats to waste a time out? Neither seems likely or worth the trouble.

I honestly still believe that the ball wasn’t supposed to be snapped.
It wasn't. Pat McAfee confirmed that when he went over the play on his podcast. The guy who was supposed to take the snap or pretend to snap the ball (can't remember which) was injured before this play. If they got a certain look, there would be some sort of signal to snap it but otherwise just take the delay. The substitute player got confused.

Bad coaching.

I was there for this and I remember saying to my father we have two rushers on one blocker and the blocker has to snap first. I mean it was so obvious that the play couldn't work I don't know how it was ever designed.

Hearing the McAfee explanation of what the whole thing was about helps it to make some sense.

It may have even worked against a less well-prepared team.

I can’t believe it’s been 7 years lol! I remember watching this live just laughing, completely confused.

It wasn't. Pat McAfee confirmed that when he went over the play on his podcast. The guy who was supposed to take the snap or pretend to snap the ball (can't remember which) was injured before this play. If they got a certain look, there would be some sort of signal to snap it but otherwise just take the delay. The substitute player got confused.

Bad coaching.
Pagano confirmed pretty much the same story. Ball was never supposed to be snapped. At least, Pagano owned up to it...

I remember this play. Watched it live on TV and I probably was laughing my ass off.

How come when we were the Patriots dynasty, so many teams would make stupid plays against us?

I think some of those times is because we were in their heads. They got so wrapped up in, "If we're going to beat the Patriots, we gotta pull out ALL THE STOP!" that they overthought situations that would inevitably blow up. If you look at the teams who had reasonably consistent success against the Brady/Belichick Patriots, they were teams that kept things pretty simple and relied on talent in key places to dominate the trenches. Other than Super Bowl 52, most of the playoff losses were just a result of another team playing good fundamentals and winning 3rd down. When teams got too cute, they'd usually trip over their own feet.

I was there.

Some Colts fan Karen turned back to me and asked "Are you nice people?"

I answered "That all depends on you" She never opened her mouth the rest of the game.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt of that.
Which still leaves the question of purpose of the formation. To draw a penalty of some kind? Require the Pats to waste a time out? Neither seems likely or worth the trouble.
They wanted too many men on the field penalty. If the Pats change personnel when the Colts special teams start to move off anticipating a 4th down offensive play, they can snap the ball and get a flag.

Even funnier is that the Colts OL was not lined up correctly, so at best it’d be offsetting penalties.

Just ran across this and figured this is a little blast from the past that will liven up everyone's day. This play should be celebrated every year.

LOL. I was thinking about this play a few weeks ago for some reason. Did they ever explain WTF their plan was? Completely ******ed all around.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back