PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy Birthday, Steve Zabel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
3/20/1948 LB/TE; OU '70. Old college coach Fairbanks picked him up from Eagles in '75. Rhymes with Vrabel.

Kicked an extra point vs. Bucs in regular season finale in (should have been) championship season in '76. Killer 'stache/beard.
th
th
th
th

The original #54. Possibly my favorite # on the Pats , as I was a HUGE Bruschi fan and I'm a big Hightower fan.

Zabel and Steve Nelson were very good players and part of an excellent, under rated linebacking corps. He is someone that never forgot the Ben Dreith game, but for more than just the officiating:

Great State: Former Patriot Still Laments a Forgotten Playoff Scandal

"When we went out to play the field was sloppy, muddy, wet, and the grass was about six inches long."

Zabel has a short highlight reel of great plays from his NFL career.

He only has one shot from that playoff loss to the Raiders.

It shows him sitting on the bench bending over in anguish, a reaction that still mirrors his feelings about what might have been of they'd played on a neutral field.

Steve says, "This Super Bowl is all about 'Deflategate' and what a deal that was. Maybe they ought to go back to 1976 and talk about Al Davis (Raiders owner) flooding the field to slow us down so they could go on and win the Superbowl. It was horrible."​

https://www.oklahomasportshalloffame.org/steve-zabel.html

Steve Zabel was a standout high school athlete in Thornton, Colorado. He won state titles in both the high jump and pentathlon. Zabel was then recruited and signed by the University of Oklahoma. He earned All-America honors as a tight end in 1969, and developed a reputation as a versatile player while at OU. The Sooners utilized him at defensive end and as a punter. He helped the Sooners win two Big 8 Championships and earned All Big 8 honors. Steve was the sixth player selected in the 1970 NFL draft by the Philadelphia Eagles.​

Edmond Life & Leisure

During the 1967 season, OU shutout its first two opponents, Washington State and Maryland. Their only loss came two weeks later to Texas (9-7). They finished the season 10-1 as Big Eight champs.

“My greatest OU moment was catching a 30-yard touchdown pass from Bobby Warmack with one minute left in the game to beat Kansas and clinch a Big Eight championship berth. It was a magical year,” said Zabel.

In 1975, the New England Patriots acquired Zabel where he reunited with head coach Chuck Fairbanks. He was credited with 72 tackles, three sacks and a fumble recovery his first season with the Patriots. His second season was perhaps his best ever as he led all linebackers with 88 tackles and was named most valuable defensive player.

Knowing his time in football might soon be coming to an end, Zabel and his wife decided to move from Denver to Edmond in 1978; a place he loved and would remain.

Zabel remained in the NFL for three more years where he retired after the 1979 season with the Baltimore Colts.

“In 1978, I witnessed my teammate Darryl Stingly take a hit that paralyzed him. It made me realize that I didn’t want the same fortune. Once you start thinking about getting hurt, it’s time to retire. I have lived to tell the story and am fortunate,” said Zabel.​

Still partial to Patriots – The Denver Post

“When I played for the Eagles, I played for three different coaches in five years and played four different positions on the field between offense and defense,” Zabel said. “It wasn’t a good situation.”

New England was different. He made 48 starts at linebacker in his 50-game career with the Patriots and played with tight end Russ Francis, guard John Hannah, quarterback Steve Grogan and linebacker Steve Nelson.

Zabel, who will be 58 in March, was a college star at Oklahoma and recently looked back on his illustrious career from his home in Edmond, Okla.

His most recent stop was at tiny Curry College in Milton, Mass., where he was on the coaching staff for four years.

“It was a blast for me,” Zabel said. “If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t have waited so long to go into coaching. It was something new and exciting for me. It didn’t seem like a job.”

Even though he was some 1,800 miles from home, Zabel wasn’t alone at Curry College, coaching with Nelson.

“He was a terrific team player when we played for the Patriots,” Nelson said. “He taught me a lot about playing in the NFL. He played outside linebacker, and I played inside. We had to communicate really well to be able to play our best.”​

Zabel has done some great things in his post-football career:

Former OU All-American and NFL player Steve Zabel found his life's work after football

(Zabel) and Bross founded City Care, which over the past 20 years has helped thousands of low-income families find housing, provided them with food and other resources and helped tutor young children through it’s “Whiz Kids” program.

Whiz Kids has more than 1,200 volunteers, Zabel said, and will serve more than 900 students during the upcoming school year. The goal with Whiz Kids is to break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy for low-income students between the first and sixth grades.

N0012770897--951525.JPG

tumblr_najf8gJeOe1ra90n2o1_500.jpg

Zabel and Steve Nelson were very good players and part of an excellent, under rated linebacking corps. He is someone that never forgot the Ben Dreith game, but for more than just the officiating:

Great State: Former Patriot Still Laments a Forgotten Playoff Scandal

"When we went out to play the field was sloppy, muddy, wet, and the grass was about six inches long."

Zabel has a short highlight reel of great plays from his NFL career.

He only has one shot from that playoff loss to the Raiders.

It shows him sitting on the bench bending over in anguish, a reaction that still mirrors his feelings about what might have been of they'd played on a neutral field.

Steve says, "This Super Bowl is all about 'Deflategate' and what a deal that was. Maybe they ought to go back to 1976 and talk about Al Davis (Raiders owner) flooding the field to slow us down so they could go on and win the Superbowl. It was horrible."​

https://www.oklahomasportshalloffame.org/steve-zabel.html

Steve Zabel was a standout high school athlete in Thornton, Colorado. He won state titles in both the high jump and pentathlon. Zabel was then recruited and signed by the University of Oklahoma. He earned All-America honors as a tight end in 1969, and developed a reputation as a versatile player while at OU. The Sooners utilized him at defensive end and as a punter. He helped the Sooners win two Big 8 Championships and earned All Big 8 honors. Steve was the sixth player selected in the 1970 NFL draft by the Philadelphia Eagles.​

Edmond Life & Leisure

During the 1967 season, OU shutout its first two opponents, Washington State and Maryland. Their only loss came two weeks later to Texas (9-7). They finished the season 10-1 as Big Eight champs.

“My greatest OU moment was catching a 30-yard touchdown pass from Bobby Warmack with one minute left in the game to beat Kansas and clinch a Big Eight championship berth. It was a magical year,” said Zabel.

In 1975, the New England Patriots acquired Zabel where he reunited with head coach Chuck Fairbanks. He was credited with 72 tackles, three sacks and a fumble recovery his first season with the Patriots. His second season was perhaps his best ever as he led all linebackers with 88 tackles and was named most valuable defensive player.

Knowing his time in football might soon be coming to an end, Zabel and his wife decided to move from Denver to Edmond in 1978; a place he loved and would remain.

Zabel remained in the NFL for three more years where he retired after the 1979 season with the Baltimore Colts.

“In 1978, I witnessed my teammate Darryl Stingly take a hit that paralyzed him. It made me realize that I didn’t want the same fortune. Once you start thinking about getting hurt, it’s time to retire. I have lived to tell the story and am fortunate,” said Zabel.​

Still partial to Patriots – The Denver Post

“When I played for the Eagles, I played for three different coaches in five years and played four different positions on the field between offense and defense,” Zabel said. “It wasn’t a good situation.”

New England was different. He made 48 starts at linebacker in his 50-game career with the Patriots and played with tight end Russ Francis, guard John Hannah, quarterback Steve Grogan and linebacker Steve Nelson.

Zabel, who will be 58 in March, was a college star at Oklahoma and recently looked back on his illustrious career from his home in Edmond, Okla.

His most recent stop was at tiny Curry College in Milton, Mass., where he was on the coaching staff for four years.

“It was a blast for me,” Zabel said. “If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t have waited so long to go into coaching. It was something new and exciting for me. It didn’t seem like a job.”

Even though he was some 1,800 miles from home, Zabel wasn’t alone at Curry College, coaching with Nelson.

“He was a terrific team player when we played for the Patriots,” Nelson said. “He taught me a lot about playing in the NFL. He played outside linebacker, and I played inside. We had to communicate really well to be able to play our best.”​

Zabel has done some great things in his post-football career:

Former OU All-American and NFL player Steve Zabel found his life's work after football

(Zabel) and Bross founded City Care, which over the past 20 years has helped thousands of low-income families find housing, provided them with food and other resources and helped tutor young children through it’s “Whiz Kids” program.

Whiz Kids has more than 1,200 volunteers, Zabel said, and will serve more than 900 students during the upcoming school year. The goal with Whiz Kids is to break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy for low-income students between the first and sixth grades.

N0012770897--951525.JPG

tumblr_najf8gJeOe1ra90n2o1_500.jpg

Old friend Jim at start...Guess who @ 1:05 ... followed by teammate Mike Haynes

A vision impossible to see without tears...a team as deserving to be honored as any Patriot team ever, perhaps more.

A few other former Patriots share a March 20th birthday, though none are as notable as Steve Zabel.

David Douglas (3/20/63 - 2/27/16) finished the 1989 season (final Ray Berry year) with New England, and started five games at center in 1990 (the Rod Rust error). I honestly do not remember him at all, but that may be due to selectively blocking that '90 season from my memory.

Former Vol David Douglas passes away

He arrived at Tennessee in the fall of 1981 as a 200-pound walk-on, but would develop his size and his talents to earn a scholarship in 1982 and became a key contributor on the offensive line over the next four years.

Under head coach John Majors and offensive line coach Phillip Fulmer, Douglas was a starter on the famed 1985 “SugarVols.” That Tennessee team won the Southeastern Conference Championship and defeated heavy favorite Miami, 35-7 in the 1986 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

Douglas was an eighth-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals in 1986 and played five seasons with Cincinnati and New England, reaching Super Bowl XXIII with the Bengals following the 1988 season. A neck injury cut his professional career short in 1991.

Douglas married the former Karla Horton, a star forward on Pat Summitt’s first national championship team at Tennessee in 1987. Their son Aaron would go on to play for Tennessee in 2009 but tragically lost his life in 2011.​

David Douglas was first diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor in 2013 and valiantly battled the disease for the remainder of his life.​

White Graves turns 75 today (born March 20, 1942). The Patriots drafted the defensive back from LSU in the 17th round (135th overall) in the 1965 AFL draft. Graves played 40 games for the Patriots from 1965-67, with three interceptions.

Steve Maneri (3/20/88) turns 29 today. The Temple alum was part of the Patriot organization in the 2010 and 2014 season.

http://www.patriots.com/team/players/roster/steve-maneri

New England Patriots add TE Steve Maneri, QB Garrett Gilbert

With Dominique Easley on the injured reserve, the New England Patriots filled their roster vacancy by signing versatile tight end Steve Maneri.

Maneri spent the beginning of 2010 on the Patriots active roster, but was never activated for game day. He was cut from the team and re-signed to the New England practice squad after three games.

The 6-foot-7, 280-pound Temple product has also spent time with the Texans, Chiefs, Bucs and Bears.

As WEEI's Chris Price pointed out, Maneri could fit as an extra blocker. The Patriots had been using rookie tackle Cameron Fleming in that role, quite successfully, but Fleming has been inactive since suffering an ankle injury in Week 11 at Indianapolis.

Against Miami, starting tackle Nate Solder moved over to play the role of jumbo tight end and Marcus Cannon replaced Solder.​

Maneri is now working in corporate real estate:

Steve Maneri

And a couple of old Maneri threads:

Steve Maneri: Signed to 53 man roster

Steve Maneri

Happy 32nd birthday (3/20/85) to Marques Murrell. The Patriots signed the linebacker for depth and special teams in March 2010. He played in the week one game but was then released to make room for offensive lineman Quinn Ojinnaka, who was suspended for the season opener. Murell was re-signed the following January but was cut again at the end of 2011 training camp.

Murrell now runs an auto brokerage in North Carolina.

Patriots Add Linebacker Marques Murrell

Marques Murrell (@MurrellMtspts) | Twitter

Murrell Motorsports LLC - Used Cars - CONCORD NC Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back