PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy 75TH!! Birthday, Bobby Orr!

Bobby Orr is not only the absolute best hockey player ever, he is an even better human being. I saw him do stuff on the ice that no
one, before or since, could ever replicate. I didn't grow up a Bruins fan, but I could never help but admire and respect Bobby greatly. Happy 75th, number 4.:thumbsup:

Bobby Orr is not only the absolute best hockey player ever, he is an even better human being. I saw him do stuff on the ice that no
one, before or since, could ever replicate. I didn't grow up a Bruins fan, but I could never help but admire and respect Bobby greatly. Happy 75th, number 4.:thumbsup:
Agreed. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions. The guy is a saint.

And yes, Orr is the GOAT hockey player. Gretzky is by far the GOAT offensive player.

Happy Birthday to Our Bobby! He was and remains simply The Best. The list of top 10 GOAT hockey players starts with Robert Gordon Orr...followed by 9 mere mortals.

In those days living in Newport could not get channel 38, even with tinfoil and my wife moving the rabbit ears around, so had to watch these games from a local bar (before dui was a big thing) never forget that night as hockey was as big, for us, as the NFL is today.
That goal was incredible, bought all the newspapers from that day and recently sent them all to a bar owned by a woman formerly from Boston who proudly displays those headlines at "45 Chop".
Nothing quite like a dark dive bar, with the faint smell of old beer and a hint of urine.

In those days living in Newport could not get channel 38, even with tinfoil and my wife moving the rabbit ears around, so had to watch these games from a local bar (before dui was a big thing) never forget that night as hockey was as big, for us, as the NFL is today.
That goal was incredible, bought all the newspapers from that day and recently sent them all to a bar owned by a woman formerly from Boston who proudly displays those headlines at "45 Chop".
Nothing quite like a dark dive bar, with the faint smell of old beer and a hint of urine.

You just described Sullivan's Tap, right across the street from the Gahden!

God help me I do love old gin mills, dives and bike bars. Especially where the TV is the only new thing in the joint for the past 30 years and the B's are on it

Agreed. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions. The guy is a saint.

And yes, Orr is the GOAT hockey player. Gretzky is by far the GOAT offensive player.

On some documentary some years ago, I believe it was Gerry Cheevers who recalled that after playing a poor game the night before, he was feeling bummed during the following day's practice so Orr came up to him in the locker room afterwards and said: C'mon let's go visit some kids... And off they went, just like that...Can you imagine anyone ass-ociated with the Dead Sux or Smeltics doing that today?

Also checked a broke and broken Derek Sanderson into rehab and saved his life!

Another one who should have NEVER left Boston!

Greatest EVAH!

Happy Bday Bobby

and for those of you who used to watch the B's on Channel 38......

Met him at a corporate dinner for Purity Supreme supermarkets. He talked to everyone like he was a long time friend. Have an autographed picture of him flying after that goal from that night.

Great player, greater person.

Great player, greater person.

Orr was not only a one man intervention squad for Derek Sanderson but he paid for multiple rehab stints for Bruins trainer John "Frosty" Forrestal. When Forrestal was homeless and dying of brain cancer, Orr took him in and turned his own home into Frosty's hospice for the last year of his life.

Orr never tells those stories but Sanderson sure does, every chance he gets he tells anyone that'll listen "Bobby saved my life"

Orr was not only a one man intervention squad for Derek Sanderson but he paid for multiple rehab stints for Bruins trainer John "Frosty" Forrestal. When Forrestal was homeless and dying of brain cancer, Orr took him in and turned his own home into Frosty's hospice for the last year of his life.

Orr never tells those stories but Sanderson sure does, every chance he gets he tells anyone that'll listen "Bobby saved my life"

If there is indeed such a thing, then we were blessed to have had him with us... Damn shame about those knee injuries; he would've been even more transcendent than he already was...

Growing up in the era before Orr showed up the Bruins where sharing there time with the Celtics and the circus. Russell owned the Garden in the 60s, it took Orr some time to become an equal on the Boston stage.

Bobby Orr redifined the game. Gretzky capitalized on what Orr could have done without the injuries.

My favorite thought about Orr, what if he was a lineman and Gretzky played Defense.

Growing up in the era before Orr showed up the Bruins where sharing there time with the Celtics and the circus. Russell owned the Garden in the 60s, it took Orr some time to become an equal on the Boston stage.

Bobby Orr redifined the game. Gretzky capitalized on what Orr could have done without the injuries.

My favorite thought about Orr, what if he was a lineman and Gretzky played Defense.

Wayne Gretzky, defence?

The Entire Oilers Team (except perhaps Messier) didn't know jack **** about defence until Sinden gift-wrapped Ranford (& Coutnall) to his buddy Slats.

That's why Paul Coffey isn't fit to loosen the laces on Bobby Orr's skates.

Another great Bobby Orr story....

The St Louis Blues defenseman (Noel Picard) whose stick helped launch Orr airborne on THAT goal had a daughter who went to college in Boston. Orr looked after her and helped her thru some financial difficulties. Picard did not ask for this help. Orr just did it when he found out his daughter was there. Nobody would know about this if Picard didn't tell the story in an interview many years later.

The framed photo behind Picard in his home during that interview? Yup, a photo of that famous goal signed personally to Noel. Orr's opponents universally loved the guy.

Last edited:
No ****. Anybody and everybody knew the value of having Orr on defense. Orr would have destroyed Gretzky in their primes.
Orr redifined the game. Gretzky took benefit for it.

As many intelligent hockey analysts have pointed out:

Put 5 Orr's on the ice and they will easily beat 5 Gretzky's or 5 anybody. He was that good.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back