PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy 75TH!! Birthday, Bobby Orr!

When I travel always seek out old bars in better neighborhoods, nothing quite like sitting at a bar like that with my wife and having a draft, usually sports on the TV.. hit run of curling for a while.

Was in NOLA recently and there was one of those neighborhood bars nearby, saw something never saw before, the mirror behind the booze was littered with yellow "post its", asked the bartended what those were for and he told us they were "IOU's" from some of the folks who frequented the bar, then he added a couple of them belong to dead folks.
I can never get my wife to sit at a bar unless I bring one of my sons and he wants to sit there too. Then she can sit between us and I can look at the back of her head as she talks to him.

My wife is a big John Taffer fan so I get stuck watching now and then. I recently saw one where he said it was illegal for a bar to run a tab. Maybe the law is different in NOLA.

I posted this in the Bruins forum.

Grestky told this story that whenever he would do autograph signings that more than a few times some fan would come up to him and say "You know, you're not the great one"

Gretsky would always reply 'You're from Boston aren't you?'
When Grestky came to Boston for an all star game one of the announcers went up to an elderly lady in a Bruins shirt and asked her how it felt to have the great one coming to town. She responded in typical Boston fashion with something like sorry honey but the great one already retired from here.

It took me two days to get through it but I had to watch the long version. I was especially interested in a highlight that I was sure would be there of Orr sliding on his butt just across the blue line and backhanding a pass to the Chief for a goal. I was sitting right along the glass and Orr was sliding right towards me on the play.

He had so many of those amazing plays... Compiling them would make for another documentary-length programme all by itself.

I can never get my wife to sit at a bar unless I bring one of my sons and he wants to sit there too. Then she can sit between us and I can look at the back of her head as she talks to him.

My wife is a big John Taffer fan so I get stuck watching now and then. I recently saw one where he said it was illegal for a bar to run a tab. Maybe the law is different in NOLA.

Hmmm... I always run a tab when I go to the bar to watch a Pats game... First I've heard of that one.

When Grestky came to Boston for an all star game one of the announcers went up to an elderly lady in a Bruins shirt and asked her how it felt to have the great one coming to town. She responded in typical Boston fashion with something like sorry honey but the great one already retired from here.

Must've been the 1999 game... Has there been one in Boston since then?

Must've been the 1999 game... Has there been one in Boston since then?

The NHL all star game was held in Boston the inaugural season of the Fleet Center, which would have been '96. Bourque won the MVP, there hasn't been one held in Boston since then IIRC.
Fenway hosted the 1999 MLB all star game. Between Teddy Ballgame being lionized pre-game and Pedro's performance it was far more memorable, probably the reason 1999 and all star game came to your mind.

The NHL all star game was held in Boston the inaugural season of the Fleet Center, which would have been '96. Bourque won the MVP, there hasn't been one held in Boston since then IIRC.
Fenway hosted the 1999 MLB all star game. Between Teddy Ballgame being lionized pre-game and Pedro's performance it was far more memorable, probably the reason 1999 and all star game came to your mind.

You're right, I confused the '96 All-Star game with both the '99 draft, also held at the Fleet, and the '99 MLB All-Star game... The NHL draft hasn't returned to Boston since then either...

I've watched both Orr and Gretzky play in my lifetime, Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player ever, Wayne Gretzky was the greatest scorer ever. Bobby Orr was much more of a two way player being a defenseman, and a damn great one and a great scorer, assists and goals. If only he was born 15 years later with newer surgery techniques, he could have played a lot longer.

Pedro - guess he deiced "It's a gimmick game, I don't want to risk my arm, so I guess I'll just stike everyone out and call it a day."

Pedro - guess he deiced "It's a gimmick game, I don't want to risk my arm, so I guess I'll just stike everyone out and call it a day."

Just as well he did; the ball was sooo juiced in those days - as were the batters - that any contact at all might've resulted in a HR...

Last edited:
Ahh the good old days.

Seeing the comment about Orr being another who shouldn't have left makes me think about starting a thread about greats who left or stayed and why. Orr, Russell, Bird, Brady, Gronk, Clemens, etc all have different stories. It might be interesting.
Bobby trusted one man, Alan Eagleson, with his financial affairs and to shield him from the details of superstardom which Bobby didn't want to be distracted by. Unfortunately, the guy was a snake and a crook. A lot of Bobby's teammates including Chief were there in court when 'The Eagle' was found guilty.

Clemens certainly had a GREAT case that Duquette was premature in his 'twilight' evaluation, but the 'roids obviously only started being taken north of the border.

Russ & Larry didn't leave, they retired. And they had professional opportunities elsewhere that just weren't here. I totally get wanting to get on with life - away from here.

Ted stayed with the Sox and was a fixture at training camp and with/for the Jimmy Fund forever.

Kraft rolled out the red 'lifetime Patriot' carpet for Bledsoe, which of course had an escape clause if Drew stunk, which he did.

Robert did no such thing for Tom Brady. Mr. Kraft spoke with all the same GOAT rhetoric he eloquently used as he did when he pushed Parcells out the door. Kraft 'learned' nothing from the Parcells thing. Belichick is his guy and, although Robert did mediate after the Eagles Super Bowl debacle to keep Tom here a couple more years, he did his familiar "I'm only the owner - what can I possibly do? It's above my pay grade. I'm praying Tom stays but I have no control over whether he does or not" utter nonsense.

Last edited:
Orr could have played any position but Goalie.
Actually, he did put on the pads a couple times.

Bobby could do whatever he wanted.

...Actually, being a goalie could have extended his career. But he despised the idea of wearing a helmet, I think Cheesie would have had to talk him into donning a mask.

As many intelligent hockey analysts have pointed out:
If anybody ever wins the Norris, Ross, Hart & Smythe trophies along with the Cup in the same season again, he will NOT be anywhere near as good as Bobby Orr.

Maybe the best statistic is career plus/minus, which on a per game basis no one is anywhere near Orr.

If anybody ever wins the Norris, Ross, Hart & Smythe trophies along with the Cup in the same season again, he will NOT be anywhere near as good as Bobby Orr.

Maybe the best statistic is career plus/minus, which on a per game basis no one is anywhere near Orr.
One of his best moves wasn't in the video I saw here.

He used to have that move where he'd come around the net and if a defender was there he'd fake inside and then do a complete 360 without missing a beat and leave the defender in his wake. Well, one day a team decided to send in a second player and when Orr did his patented 360 there was another player waiting for him. Orr immediately did another 360 and left that guy in the dust too.

Ted, Russell, Orr and Brady. That's a Mt Rushmore that no sports fans anywhere else can match.

One of his best moves wasn't in the video I saw here.

He used to have that move where he'd come around the net and if a defender was there he'd fake inside and then do a complete 360 without missing a beat and leave the defender in his wake. Well, one day a team decided to send in a second player and when Orr did his patented 360 there was another player waiting for him. Orr immediately did another 360 and left that guy in the dust too.

Ted, Russell, Orr and Brady. That's a Mt Rushmore that no sports fans anywhere else can match.
Yeah, and if anybody has a problem with Ted then okay, substitute the Babe.

Also checked a broke and broken Derek Sanderson into rehab and saved his life!

Another one who should have NEVER left Boston!

Greatest EVAH!

Happy Bday Bobby

and for those of you who used to watch the B's on Channel 38......

Am I seeing double? Did they mix up Wayne Cashman and Wayne Carlton in this video? The segment starts with Carlton's card and then goes to pictures of Cashman, the tough old battle axe wingman.

Am I seeing double? Did they mix up Wayne Cashman and Wayne Carlton in this video? The segment starts with Carlton's card and then goes to pictures of Cashman, the tough old battle axe wingman.

Looks good to me; I think you just might’ve missed the quick shot of Swoop as an older man…

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back