PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Hands to the Face" Penalties

Aren't refs supposed to immediately blow a play dead when a player loses his helmet?

That's what I thought...And I think that's what Andrews thought too which is why he's just standing there looking at the ref (I presume).

Why should he do that without a helmet ? And dont give me any of this toughness ********. In the era of CTE and concussions there is no way he should have continued to play once his helmet was ripped off.
Your right, I think the play is over once a player engages without a helmet.

In the NFL, the play is over when the ball carrier's helmet comes completely off.

During the play in question, I think he did in fact turn around to block for the runner. I remember yelling at the tv: "Don't [f'ing] do it you idiot!" But, I was pretty drunk, so it could have been a different play :)

Is it just me or are we seeing more and more "HANDS TO THE FACE" penalties?

If you ask me, I feel like the rule was put into place to avoid what D.Wise did last night. Let's just say he got his money's worth on that one.

I don't think the rule was put in place to call the ticky tack stuff that Gillmore got called for last week, or even the one the TB offensive lineman got called for last night. That call took away a full 7 points from TB since it cancelled the TD AND they missed the FG.

We spend so much time talking about the calls that don't go our way (for good reason), but I feel like we got away with one with the TB "hands to the face" penalty. Maybe it's true that things tend to even out over time.

Just checked the NFL Penalty tracker: NFL Penalties - 2017 League Penalty Stats - View by Total - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Illegal use of the hands - Includes hands to the face.

Year -- Total for NFL -- Called on the Pats

2012---- 81--- 0
2013 ----75----2
2014 ----167---6
2015-----119---4
2016-----91----5
2017-----35----3 (through wk 4. On pace for 146 calls)

I haven't really heard anything reported, but my guess the refs were told to be more cognizant of it. I mean, with how hyper-conscious the league is becoming with player safety after all of these CTE controversies, it makes sense that they would be more mindful of contact to a player's head/neck area. Anyway, yes, I do feel like there have been more hands to the face penalties (maybe it's just confirmation bias though).

Also, on that same topic, I feel like I've seen a lot of defensive holding calls on run plays. I know in recent years they've been cracking down more on illegal contact in the passing game (especially after Seattle garnered such a strong reputation), but I only remember it being called very sporadically on running plays in the past. This year, I've seen at least 5-10 defensive holding calls on running plays in games I've watched. That seems way, way more frequent that in year's past, but again, it could just be confirmation bias on my part.

And yet…runners are still allowed to stiff-arm defenders to the helmet, and in some cases even to the face mask, with impunity.

NYFL hypocrisy at its finest. This is all less about Player Safety and more about Points on the Board.

I haven't really heard anything reported, but my guess the refs were told to be more cognizant of it. I mean, with how hyper-conscious the league is becoming with player safety after all of these CTE controversies, it makes sense that they would be more mindful of contact to a player's head/neck area. Anyway, yes, I do feel like there have been more hands to the face penalties (maybe it's just confirmation bias though).

Also, on that same topic, I feel like I've seen a lot of defensive holding calls on run plays. I know in recent years they've been cracking down more on illegal contact in the passing game (especially after Seattle garnered such a strong reputation), but I only remember it being called very sporadically on running plays in the past. This year, I've seen at least 5-10 defensive holding calls on running plays in games I've watched. That seems way, way more frequent that in year's past, but again, it could just be confirmation bias on my part.

Defensive holding is definitely up and on pace for being called 250 times. I didn't break down each individual call so am not sure how many were called during running plays.

Year---NFL Total---Called on Pats

2012---153---9
2013---181---7
2014---235---17
2015---228---9
2016---216--6
2017---60---1 (on pace for 250)

While on the subject penalties across the board are up.

Year---Total Penalties

2012---3219
2013---3245
2014---3526
2015---3671
2016---3544
2017---913 (On pace for 3808)

Patriots rank 2nd in total penalties so far this season.

Patriots have ranked 13th - 29th in the previous 5 years except 2014 in which they ranked 2nd (Probably a Brandon Browner thing).

Defensive holding is definitely up and on pace for being called 250 times. I didn't break down each individual call so am not sure how many were called during running plays.

Year---NFL Total---Called on Pats

2012---153---9
2013---181---7
2014---235---17
2015---228---9
2016---216--6
2017---60---1 (on pace for 250)
Yeah, I'd like to see a more granular breakdown.

What about like... a QB drops back to pass, takes off running. There's a defensive holding call on the play. Would that constitute as a defensive holding on a run, or on a pass? Seems like there's some ambiguous plays that can't really be reliable classified.

tumblr_inline_nqbwv98S6c1qkvtgd_500.gif
This guy is the worst! I have to change the channel every time it's on. I keep hoping the woman tells him "You're a LOSER...in bed!!"

Last edited:
Not to get all socio/politico on this crap but...watch every commercial during our sporting events...football, baseball....the woman is ALWAYS portrayed as far smarter, the men of color are presented as strong archetypes...the white guys are either wimpy little doofuses, ambiguously gay, complete morons or a combination of all three. Constant onslaught of propaganda meant to diminish white MEN across all the media platforms. Now WHY is that?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back