PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gunner needs to sit a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He's a rookie. A work in progress. I do get it. I'm not done with the guy forever. But Gunner Olzewski had a terrible game today and made a big error that lost us 7 points, and I'm sure Bill doesn't take that sort of thing lightly, even in a blowout.

I don't think he needs to be benched forever but he made some mistakes today and I'd sit him a game and let him work on whatever he was struggling with, and give James White or Phillip Dorsett a look as a kick returner until he's in a better spot. If Bill just thinks it's a fluke that Olzewski needs to work out in live games I'd be OK with that, but in that situation I'd give the kid a mental break

Edelman fumbled a return too, yannow?

I think he needs a timeout in the corner.

He's a rookie. A work in progress. I do get it. I'm not done with the guy forever. But Gunner Olzewski had a terrible game today and made a big error that lost us 7 points, and I'm sure Bill doesn't take that sort of thing lightly, even in a blowout.

I don't think he needs to be benched forever but he made some mistakes today and I'd sit him a game and let him work on whatever he was struggling with, and give James White or Phillip Dorsett a look as a kick returner until he's in a better spot. If Bill just thinks it's a fluke that Olzewski needs to work out in live games I'd be OK with that, but in that situation I'd give the kid a mental break
Ehh not sure they need to be risking PD or JW at returner.. Gunner will get his due in film study /practice

Ehh not sure they need to be risking PD or JW at returner.. Gunner will get his due in film study /practice
I'd rather risk one of our better players than put this kid in position to hurt us again.

Like I said, I'd sit him. Let him learn in practice with no pressure on him for a week. Not the end of the world.

If people disagree, that's fine. One thing I know is that I'm not Bill Belichick, so in Bill we trust.

I'd rather risk one of our better players than put this kid in position to hurt us again.

Like I said, I'd sit him. If people disagree, that's fine. One thing I know is that I'm not Bill Belichick, so in Bill we trust.
I get what you're saying but I don't see how sitting him will make him a better player, nor do I think that another ingame flub would hurt the team worse than PD or JW getting hurt playing out of position

Rather he gets the yips now than in the playoffs, ie .. Harper. If he survives the regular season and improves then he’ll be ok during the playoffs, but if missing punts is a more regular occurrence he is likely gone.

Up to this point, Gunner has been more effective than most of us anticipated. That is, he seems to be an effective Edelman replacement. He's made good fair catch and return decisions until today--one botch and one should have been a fair catch. I think he'll be fine--even Edelman blew a very easy catch today.

My favorite GDT post today was definitely the one calling him "cooked" in his third NFL game.

Ridiculous thread... It's a learning moment

I will agree to disagree. He is a puppy. The best way to learn is through your mistakes. The more he plays the better he will get. He needs a boost of confidence not a reprimand right now. Edleman barely played his first few years. This kid is out there giving it his all. He will be fine

My favorite GDT post today was definitely the one calling him "cooked" in his third NFL game.
OK yeah, that's ridiculous. I just want to give him a clean break from the worst game of his short career, make sure he doesn't bring any baggage from that to the next game he plays.

This is a bad take and you should feel bad.

Ridiculous thread... It's a learning moment
This board has a major misunderstanding of the word “need”. In another thread, I got two dislikes for stating that next week’s (September) game, NE doesn’t NEED to win.

There are no “needs” this early when you are 3-0 with a lights out D.

Bill Belichick didn't deem it necessary for him to miss a punt return, let alone a game.

All due respect, I'm going to go with Belichick on this one.

This thread is rather simple ........
A teaching moment ......

By that logic, we never would have a Kevin Faulk. He had some rough games in his early years, but somehow turned it around.

Benching a player who needs to be a little crazy for the role is likely the worst thing you can do.

I'll trust BB. Rookies will make mistakes, and learn. I'd rather have him returning than adding one more position at which Jules can take damage.

Sure
Sit him
Who needs a healthy WR from such a deep WR group in a critical game for conference supremacy

I’m also in favor of sitting anyone who committed a penalty or dropped a pass today.

And Brady and his under throws...some time on the practice squad might do the gray beard some good

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News