PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronkowski Was Definitely a Once in a Lifetime Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been a joy to watch. He gave everything he had, and we were incredibly fortunate to have him on the roster, let alone watch him play.

He has every right to hang up his cleats and walk away. He has nothing left to prove.

Great article, agree 100%. God willing, I'll remember watching Gronk 40 years from now.

Great article, agree 100%. God willing, I'll remember watching Gronk 40 years from now.

I'm pretty sure I won't make it another 40 years, but 30 would be cool. I'm 64 now. FWIW, my dad made it to98, and his mind clear as a bell, so you never know. :cool:

His playoff numbers alone.

Receptions: 81, 8th all time, next highest "TE" is Dallas Clark at 64 which is 16th.
Yards: 1163, 9th all time, next highest "TE" is Dallas Clark at 847 which is 24th.
TDs: 12, 2nd all time, next highest "TE" is Vernon Davis at 7 which is is 26th.

16 games, 81 receptions, 1163 yards and 12 TDs is a first team all pro year without taking into account his blocking or when/how some of those catches occured. And this was in the playoffs against the best teams in the league with defenders draped all over him because they were granted a different set of rules when covering Gronk.

The fact that he went out with SD where he blew up their run defense on the edge and let Michel run free. Then followed it up with that catch over Berry which should have been a DPI on top of it along with a couple of other key catches. Then the TD drive in the SB with two key catches. Sells blocking on the wheel route and catches the seam pass again with defenders draped all over him.

I know the volume stats lover like Shannon Sharpe are going to say Tony Gonzalez is still the GOAT. Gonzalez was the best large WR ever. If you want to compare him to Anquan Boldin or Michael Irvin those are better comparisons. Gronk was so much better at his peak and Gonzalez while not completely awful as a blocker was several zip codes below Gronk's level. Also Gonzalez's playoff numbers pale in comparison. I think the only think you can say in Gonzalez's defense is he didn't have Brady throwing him the ball. If Gronk just got his catches and didn't play with that physicality, basically becoming a big WR like Gonzalez he could have put up those massive volume stats and they wouldn't have won the title.

A discussion among NFL.com panellists.

Is former Patriot Rob Gronkowski the greatest tight end in NFL history?

Quotes below:

Steve Wych: Gronk's prolific career surpasses those of greats Newsome, Gonzalez

I always think of Ozzie Newsome as the G.O.A.T. when it comes to the tight end position. Grace, toughness, durability and production. Tony Gonzalez is right there with him, as well.

As I reflect on Gronk, though, it's so hard to find an argument as to why he should be considered the best ever at his position. But, what he was able to do as a receiver, at his size, could be reason enough. The short catch and runs. The deep balls. The catch and runs in the middle of the field. Him plowing over defenders en route to the end zone. What tips things in his favor, though, is how he mashed in the running game. Think about some of the great defenders who play defensive end or outside linebacker. That's a premium position, and Gronk handled his. When he was required to protect in the passing game, he was as good as an elite tackle. In the running game, he was dominant. He did all of this while injured much of the time.

Gronk's production, especially in the postseason, is impossible to ignore -- 81 catches for 12 touchdowns? That's crazy. Sure, the Patriots always were in the playoffs, but that's often when he was at his best -- and that's saying a lot.

So now that Gronk won't be adding any more to his profile and we can talk about his career in the past, I have to say, he's at the top of a great list of tight ends. G.O.A.T. #Gronkspike

Maurice Jones-Drew: No one played the game like Gronkowski, who's head and shoulders above all other TEs

Yes, and it's not close. Don't get me wrong: Tony Gonzalez, whom some view as the best TE of all time, was great. But Gronk is one of the biggest mismatches of all time, and his ability to be a playmaker in the pass and run games has changed the way the position is viewed. Gronk had the attributes of Gonzalez, but he also blocked like a right tackle. When healthy, the former Patriot was superior in every aspect of the position.

Elliot Harrison: Gronkowski was a combination of ALL the great tight ends

It's tough to say at this moment if Gronk is the greatest tight end of all time. John Mackey forever morphed the position. Tony Gonzalez owns all the career numbers. Kellen Winslow dominated. Then there's Mike Ditka, Ozzie Newsome, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Witten, and Antonio Gates.

Gronk was a mixture of all of them and did it all at a high level. He was the greatest postseason tight end ever, by far. He hit people like Ditka. He was the top player or among the top every year, like Newsome. He was big in big games, like Sharpe (see Bowl, Super). He was asked to do everything, especially block, like Witten ... except better. He was also a scoring machine, especially early in his career, like Gates. Because of the overall strength of his game, Gronk probably is the greatest true tight end to ever play.

The only drawback, and where Gonzalez surpasses him, was his inability to stay available. Yet, much of Gronk's injury woes were because he played on a physical level and was asked to do more on that front than the formerChiefs and Falcons Hall of Famer was. On the other hand, injuries are part of the game, and it's easy to call a guy injury-prone when he is doing so much more than other players at his position. Put another way: In his prime, there was no tight end more valuable than Rob Gronkowski.

ESPN chimes in.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, who also has a Hall of Fame vote, agrees. "He has to be in the first-ballot conversation. He has the numbers, but his big-game brilliance and dominance set him apart," he said. "We just put Tony Gonzalez in first ballot. Gronk, in my view, was more dominant."

Rob Gronkowski worthy of first-ballot entry to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Correction in red

I meant that they are still coachable even though they’ve reached GOAT status. Too many players, when they are approaching GOAT status, they become bigger than the team. Not Brady and Gronk.

Therefore, the issue is not about replacing Gronk.

The issue is how to develop the offense without Gronk. With Gronk's injury history, the team has had to do this many times in the past. Now it is time for a more permanent move from a passing offense with a super blocker, great receiver, and a great YAC receiver at TE. It won't happen again.

Gronkowski Was Definitely a Once in a Lifetime Player

I meant that they are still coachable even though they’ve reached GOAT status. Too many players, when they are approaching GOAT status, they become bigger than the team. Not Brady and Gronk.
Then we were going in the same direction. Understood.

His playoff numbers alone.

Receptions: 81, 8th all time, next highest "TE" is Dallas Clark at 64 which is 16th.
Yards: 1163, 9th all time, next highest "TE" is Dallas Clark at 847 which is 24th.
TDs: 12, 2nd all time, next highest "TE" is Vernon Davis at 7 which is is 26th.

16 games, 81 receptions, 1163 yards and 12 TDs is a first team all pro year without taking into account his blocking or when/how some of those catches occured. And this was in the playoffs against the best teams in the league with defenders draped all over him because they were granted a different set of rules when covering Gronk.

The fact that he went out with SD where he blew up their run defense on the edge and let Michel run free. Then followed it up with that catch over Berry which should have been a DPI on top of it along with a couple of other key catches. Then the TD drive in the SB with two key catches. Sells blocking on the wheel route and catches the seam pass again with defenders draped all over him.

I know the volume stats lover like Shannon Sharpe are going to say Tony Gonzalez is still the GOAT. Gonzalez was the best large WR ever. If you want to compare him to Anquan Boldin or Michael Irvin those are better comparisons. Gronk was so much better at his peak and Gonzalez while not completely awful as a blocker was several zip codes below Gronk's level. Also Gonzalez's playoff numbers pale in comparison. I think the only think you can say in Gonzalez's defense is he didn't have Brady throwing him the ball. If Gronk just got his catches and didn't play with that physicality, basically becoming a big WR like Gonzalez he could have put up those massive volume stats and they wouldn't have won the title.

A lot of people are saying he's the best all-time. I've linked a ton of articles above. Canton first-ballot is pretty much guaranteed.

He was such a good Cat er eh kid.

Some people were telling me BB should have traded him last year and got something in return. If it wasn’t for Gronk we would not have won the super bowl. What we did last year is worth more than any trade that would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft