PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronkowski Struggling? The Numbers Say Otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think he’s struggling. People that failed math class made up the idea most likely.

The numbers are close to last years

Statistics are overrated. If some TE on the Browns makes uncontested catches, it is not comparable to Gronk being quadruple covered all game and fighting through it when it counts for the win.

He's had 1 great game, 2 good ones, 2 mediocre ones, and 1 bad one (statistically). As a whole, he's still on pace for a good season. Then there's his blocking which I can't quantify (maybe someone else can). He's fine.

I think a lot of it is his lack of red zone targets. I’ve seen several occurrences where he was single covered by a 6’0” corner on the outside and didn’t get a fairly obvious pass. I’ve alluded to the theory a few times that his jumping ability is hindered by an injury right now, perhaps ankle, back or a combination.

The lack of TDs are concerning.

Otherwise, he's playing just the way he has been throughout his career. I'm not too worried.

Struggling to get to Chicago...

A lot if it was Lombardi saying hes slower and narratives took off from there.

Gronk struggling? watch his blocking! watch him handle Dee Ford and Breeland Speaks, watch him take on 290+ Allen Bailey and Chris Jones. Oh and watch Kelce's non existant blocking in that game. I did. The few times(3 times?) he blocked someone in-line he lost. I don't want to freaking hear people call Kelce a tight end anymore. Heck, watch Kelce's catches. Watch the type of coverage the Pats D played with him. Gronk got gunner coverage on at least 3 plays where they straight mugged him. What did Kelce get, at most redirected at the LOS.

When Gronk gets Kelce treatment, you see big plays like we saw in the 4th quarter.

I knew Kelce couldn't hold Gronk's jockstrap but now after watching this game. I feel comfortable in calling anyone who says Kelce is a better tight end than Gronk, Kelce is closing the gap on Gronk, or even calls Kelce a tight end, a stupid dumb ****ing idiot. He's a receiver. He's just a receiver just like Jimmy Graham.

You want to say Kelce or Graham is a better football player than Gronk? Fine, it's debatable, don't agree, but debatable. You want to say they are a better tight end, or even call them tight ends? You're an idiot, a dumb ****ing idiot. And if you want to stop being a dumb ****ing idiot you must watch this game and just watch Gronk and Kelce if you wish to stop being a dumb ****ing idiot.

Kelce the best tight end in football, give me a ****ing break! I can't handle the amount of stupid idiots in the pro football world.:rolleyes:

/thread

Last edited:
If Gronk was struggling... it's only when you compare him now vs. him in 2011 or 2014. He looks slower, but is obviously battling injuries and needing to fight off multi-coverage on every route. With a bit of rest and some reinforcements (Edelman and Gordon) taking the heat off him, he'll be putting up numbers again in no time.

Gronk suffered from painful back spasms Friday. A considerable amount of time was focused on alleviating those issues into Saturday. Team source believes it's a short term thing (at Buffalo Monday in play) but given his history, worth monitoring going forward #Patriots

Antler spray works wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes