PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk trade completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re both in for a rude awakening.

They’ve only known playing for the greatest coach of all time. The drop off to mediocre NFL coach is huge. There’s a reason why so many coaches have one good year and then struggle to replicate it. Some don’t even make it a full year. They’ll have a great regular season only to see the wheels come off in the pressure of the playoffs.

Maintaining success is almost impossible because the trappings of success are destructive.

As Bane so eloquently put it “victory has defeated you”.

They helped to make BB the greatest HC. Of course they feel they can do it with Arians who is not a mediocre HC.

Yea that deal feels right.
What feels right :

BB trades the 4th for a 5th this year and a 4th next year. Gets a kicker with the 5th and gets a Trey F next year with the 4th.

This sucks and we are going to suck this year. We've lost too much, and it is going to burn me to see (if I can even watch) the friggin Tampa Bay Buccaneers waltz into the playoffs with what we should have playing here. Whomever said above that the Pats lost a Super Bowl to the Eagles with with Brady and Gronk inadvertently stated, in my mind, what was the beginning of the end. BB's inexcusable refusal to put Malcolm Butler in the game wasted Brady and Gronk's best Super Bowl performances ever. They were both pissed after that game, with Brady refusing to shake anybody's hand and Gronk ready to retire. They came back for one more, but after that they both wanted out. Why? Face it, they are tired of the way the Patriots "do business" and they are tired of playing for BB. He ****ed them around on money and treated them "just like any other player" one too many times. Now they have taken their talents south and we are all going to pay for it. Flame away.
I agree with most of this. I dunno about the "we'll pay" part, and the "we are going to suck" part. Someday, they'll be books on this and we can read what really happened behind the scenes.

I have a real hard time faulting Bill and his steadfastness to his way of coaching. It has worked amazingly better than any of us could've hoped. 6 rings worth. In Bill's parlance, he is what he is. He treats them all the same, and they win because of it. His system works. With that said, I am not any happier about it than you are. Gronk clearly didn't want to be here, and the moment Tom leaves, he wants to play again. Screw 'em.

Like I said earlier, it's like a bad break up.

What feels right :

BB trades the 4th for a 5th this year and a 4th next year. Gets a kicker with the 5th and gets a Trey F next year with the 4th.
Trey Flowers?

1. For years, Belichick paid Gronk less than he was worth, and then was going to ship him off to Detroit.
  2. Gronk left the sport for an entire year, rather than play for the Patriots again.
  3. Belichick was playing money and years games with Brady's contract, while not giving him better players around him.
  4. Belichick had years to give Brady a legit multi-year deal and focus on improving the offense. He chose to string Brady along year-to-year, and to spend most of his effort on the defense.
But, sure, demonize Gronk and Brady. It's silly, but go for it.

Has nothing to do with the fact both are drama queens at times. Both things can be true here.

Like I give a Schitt. After Gronk goes to TB, Brady comes out and says: "Run it Back."

I wish all former regulars of the Patriots' team or any Boston sports team well when they move on to another team. Regardless of the reason why they leave. I appreciate how they played for my team while with my team.

I certainly don't switch teams because of a player move, and I don't become a fan of the team that gets the player from my original home team. Once my team gets eliminated, then I temporarily may support a former player's team as I did with the 49ers last season. What made that nice was the 49ers were an NFL, not an AFL team.

Before I was a Boston Patriots fan, I was a NY Giants fan because they wasn't an NFL football team in NE. Once we got the Pats, I was a season ticket holder immediately.

Can you tell I am bored like crazy in bed with my pain meds and TV. I am so thankful for the Internet. I now can't imagine life being without the Internet. Later, stay safe, save a life, yours, and others by following the rules of COVID-19.

Lol

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, if they don't win a super bowl in Tampa do you think either of them will look back and think they lost out on an opportunity to play two more years for the goat coach of all time?

Gronk won't regret 2019, 2020 or 2021.

They are going south to enjoy whatever time they have left, and to have fun. I don't understand why it is so hard to believe that NEITHER player wanted to play for Belichick anymore. I suspect that Brady didn't really want to play in 2019, but had little choice; he didn't want to retire.

They helped to make BB the greatest HC. Of course they feel they can do it with Arians who is not a mediocre HC.

Arians has 1 playoff win as an HC...I call that mediocre

Bottom line is the Pats were unlikely to win the Super Bowl this year whether or not they kept Brady and/or Gronk. I do think it makes them worse in 2020 but helps clear up some cap space and puts them on a good footing going forward. So much depends on Stidham though, QB is such an important position and if he fails then the future is really up in the air. I'd prefer they still had Brady and Gronk for one more run at it this year but B stayed true to his philosophy and I am hopeful his plan bears fruit.

Defense should still be good and while it was not nearly as dominant in the 2nd half of last season I do not see it as collapsing as some have indicated in this thread. They gave up 14 points and 270 yards to the Titans which should be plenty good enough to win a playoff game and down the stretch they played solid against the Bengals, Chiefs and Bills. They clearly blew it on the final Dolphins drive which was certainly their low point.

If this was true, Gronk wouldn’t have threatened to retire when he was traded to Detroit. He wouldn’t have told the Patriots he was only unretiring to play with Brady in Tampa Bay and not anywhere else.

Gronk reached a point where he only wanted to play football if it was fun, and for him that’s the combination of playing only with Brady and not playing for Belichick.

Gronk won't regret 2019, 2020 or 2021.

They are going south to enjoy whatever time they have left, and to have fun. I don't understand why it is so hard to believe that NEITHER player wanted to play for Belichick anymore. I suspect that Brady didn't really want to play in 2019, but had little choice; he didn't want to retire.
“Gronk cash big $10 mill check
Gronk play in Covid free sunshine
Gronk judge bikini contests and race speed boats vs Tompa then hit sandbar party with cast of Magic Mike
Gronk like”

I think so as well. If they get Howard they not only need to clear space but also need to commit to his ~$6m 5th year option by May 5th.

That option can be rescinded at any point as long as he can pass a physical so "commit" might be the wrong word there. There is not really any consequence of triggering it.

I thought you'd still be basking in the afterglow if the Chiefs Super Bowl win. Why you slumming with the common folk? :confused:

If I haven't proven by now that I'm a Pats fan only. Well..I don't know what it will take.

I'll be rooting against these two strongly. Nothing else to say.

Talk about a straw man. This entire exchange originated because you, being the argumentative and righteous dbag that you are, took a very obvious joke that I made about passionate/loyal fans driving somebody out of NE, and turned it into some stance that I’m anti-Brady and not rooting for him in Tampa.

I see the whole grade school reading comprehension thing is just absolutely kicking your ass. For reference, here is the beginning of our exchange starting with your post...

You wanted to uproot your life because New Englanders are loyal, passionate and perhaps somewhat spiteful in their fandom? Weird.

Here was my response, bolded and underlined for reference....

Loyal... LMAO. Boston sports fans are some of the most fickle fans on the planet. You're also not loyal if you're automatically spiteful to a guy whose arm won your team 6 Lombardi trophies because he decided to move on for two years of his life.

Anyone who can comprehend what they're reading, so this eliminates you, would know that "you're" is being used in the colloquial sense. It's a broad brush response to a broad brush post. That you automatically took that as me turning it "into some stance that I’m anti-Brady and not rooting for him in Tampa" tells me a lot, though. Very Freudian. There was no reason to take that personally and yet you did. Why do you think that is? Do you think that's because, deep down, you know you're fickle?

As for your obvious hurt feelings here? I'm guessing I verbally molested you in a thread at some point in the past. Though I have a very good memory, you'll have to excuse me if I don't remember when that was. You're not particularly memorable. Maybe work on that, if you can.

I very clearly explained that I’m not part of the contingent that holds ill-will towards Brady but yet here you are with your straw man, thinking you made some point against me.

This should be comedy gold. Where was the straw man? Point it out. Use the quote function. Then copy and paste the definition of a straw man. After you do that, look at your previous assumption in which you accused me of saying that every Patriots fan was rooting against Brady.

I simply said that anybody who has a differing opinion on Brady’s departure isn’t any less of a “loyal” fan than you are. That went specifically for the comments I’ve seen in this thread and can’t comment on any “prima donna” comments that you’re now referencing. If those comments were made, I’d say they were unwarranted and would have called it out as such if I read them first-hand.

Which is funny, because those comments were all over the OTA threads which makes this next point equally hilarious...

If people disagree with him skipping OTAs or commented on the alleged friction between Tom/BB on Alex’s role on training/rehab for other players, no, I don’t think that’s bashing or not having “loyalty to Tom.”

LMFAO. So those comments are unwarranted until he skips OTAs. Then they're warranted? Or no? You're struggling mightily here, chief.

Some folks are more about the laundry and are quicker to side with the team, others are more about the individual players than the laundry, and others sit close to the middle.

Cool story. I root for the laundry. I'll root for the Patriots and I'll root for the Bucs. If the Bucs play the Pats in 2020, I'll root for the Pats. When they play each other in 2021, I'll root for the Pats. That doesn't mean that I'm going to turn around and badmouth the QB who took the team from a massive punchline to the best dynasty in NFL history the second he leaves, then hide behind that badmouthing by saying I'm "passionate" but "spiteful." Nah, you're a fickle fan if that's the case. Butthurt because our team likely takes a step back while his team is catapulted to contender status. Like a scorned woman whose long-time boyfriend just left her after she gained a few pounds. It's pathetic to watch.

Since you like to take what I say way out of context and literally do what you accused me of doing with the strawman, let the record show that I am rooting for Tom in Tampa.

Nice. That's what anyone who isn't a complete and utter moron should be doing if they call themselves a Patriots fan. You're making progress. Why you decided to pick a fight about this, I'm not sure.

In an ideal world, Pats have a learning curve/rebuilding year while still competing, Tom excels in Tampa wins a ring, and next offseason Pats reload and are back in contention in 2021/2022. Everybody wins and both Tom's and Bill's legacy are better for it. Don’t misconstrue me calling you a righteous dbag for alienating anybody who doesn’t agree with you on the way Tom’s departure unfolded as me being anti-Brady.

No. I'm assuming that's because I verbally raped you on here at some point. Probably a safe assumption, too. As for not agreeing with the way Tom's departure unfolded? The people that are saying that are the same people saying they hope he loses every game over there, which would obviously damage is legacy. Perhaps you need to take a minute to rethink things and get on the right page? Or maybe you might want to have a word with those guys. Not sure. But you're massively confused so taking some time to think couldn't hurt either way.

If this was true, Gronk wouldn’t have threatened to retire when he was traded to Detroit. He wouldn’t have told the Patriots he was only unretiring to play with Brady in Tampa Bay and not anywhere else.

Gronk reached a point where he only wanted to play football if it was fun, and for him that’s the combination of playing only with Brady and not playing for Belichick.

Tucker is a clown who enjoys taking digs at Belichick, much like Ted Johnson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe