PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grissom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Andy has posted about Grissom having a chance because of his ST play (he plays lots of special teams). He is also the next man up at DE.

If the roster were selected today, I would think that Grissom would have a good chance at making the 53.

I suppose that is a reason to look for upgrades, which I'm sure Belichick will do. However, we could do worse for the last man on the 53. He contributes alot on special teams, and has experience as a DE for us.

I would like Grissom's chances to make the 53 if he adds to his limited pass rushing repertoire and removed that horrible spin move he tries from time to time.

Would be a turn of events. I, like many on here, didn't figure there'd be room here for GG... but there it is, if he wants it.

I guess he looks like he has put on about 10 pounds. I'm not optimistic but 3rd year surges have happened before.

Last edited:
I wonder if he's gonna continue to see 1st team snaps going into the real season, or if this is a Michael Jenkins/Bobby Carpenter situation.

Maybe with his hard work on ST's last year and his progress over the OTA's BB feels he has played his way into the rotation. Funny Grissom was Drafted a few picks before Flowers but Flowers looked like a player from day 1. Also if you read Grissom Draft bio he seemed like a wild card a player without a position but plenty of athleticism. Maybe Grissom has put it all together that would be a huge bonus for us.

Last edited:
I think as of now he has a good chance to make it but he needs to keep showing in the preseason games. Until he proves something there along with good practices he doesn't do enough IMO to make the 53. I'd rather keep a promising young DB or WR or LB. They have good young options at all spots that have upside.

He was actually more highly rated than Flowers coming out of college. Hopefully he can turn it around and give us 3-4 sacks and solid D-line play. Lots of options, and some free agents out there as well.

I would like Grissom's chances to make the 53 if he adds to his limited pass rushing repertoire and removed that horrible spin move he tries from time to time.
But, Tully Banta-Cain mastered the spin move. LOL

Speaking of spin moves, Reiss posted a piece where he posed the question as to whether or not the Pats should take a flyer on Dwight Freeney. He was not all that impressive last season beyond the first few weeks, but he did play extremely well in the SB . . . very disruptive.

He was actually more highly rated than Flowers coming out of college. Hopefully he can turn it around and give us 3-4 sacks and solid D-line play. Lots of options, and some free agents out there as well.

I don't remember Grissom being rated higher than Flowers. I remember he was considered round 5-6 while Flowers was 2-3.

This for me at least becomes the most interesting position to watch during training camp and the preseason.
Assumed it would be Ealy with Nink retiring but an absence due to a coach's decision is not a good start.

I'm more interested in seeing how effective they are setting the edge and holding their gaps followed by disruption and penetration in the backfield and the consistency in which they do it.
Sacks are overrated.

Speaking of spin moves, Reiss posted a piece where he posed the question as to whether or not the Pats should take a flyer on Dwight Freeney.

FWIW, in a response to that possibility, Bedard this morning said, "Sure, maybe, but they don’t need a situational rusher. They need guys that can play standing up with Ninko gone."

FWIW, in a response to that possibility, Bedard this morning said, "Sure, maybe, but they don’t need a situational rusher. They need guys that can play standing up with Ninko gone."
He is wrong about that. The need that is.

But, Tully Banta-Cain mastered the spin move. LOL

Speaking of spin moves, Reiss posted a piece where he posed the question as to whether or not the Pats should take a flyer on Dwight Freeney. He was not all that impressive last season beyond the first few weeks, but he did play extremely well in the SB . . . very disruptive.

Man I hated Tully. Tully did a reverse Chung: left and came back worse lol. I've seen a few guys that have mastered the spin move such as Freeney, Melvin Ingram, and Mercilus. It is devastating when done right. Done wrong and it just hurts my eyes lol. Grissom's spin move was so bad it might not even qualify as a spin lol. I saw him basically do a 180 and just get jacked up from the back of his jersey. I'm going to pencil(okay maybe pen) him in as an early cut if I see that horrendous move again lol.

I don't remember Grissom being rated higher than Flowers. I remember he was considered round 5-6 while Flowers was 2-3.

Grissom was drafted in the 3rd Round, Flowers was drafted in the 4th Round, in the only draft evaluation that really counts.

Man I hated Tully. Tully did a reverse Chung: left and came back worse lol. I've seen a few guys that have mastered the spin move such as Freeney, Melvin Ingram, and Mercilus. It is devastating when done right. Done wrong and it just hurts my eyes lol. Grissom's spin move was so bad it might not even qualify as a spin lol. I saw him basically do a 180 and just get jacked up from the back of his jersey. I'm going to pencil(okay maybe pen) him in as an early cut if I see that horrendous move again lol.

Is this not the complete opposite of what happened?

Fans gave up on Cannon. Fans gave up on Edelman. Fans gave up on White.

Lots of good players buried on the depth chart make good when the depth chart clears up in front of them.

Fans gave up on Cannon. Fans gave up on Edelman. Fans gave up on White.

Lots of good players buried on the depth chart make good when the depth chart clears up in front of them.
Also, sometimes players just get better (Cannon w/ Scar).......... but you're right, sometimes it's more about having the playing time to get comfortable on that stage and show everyone what they got (Edelman/White).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back