PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grid's Gratuitously Grisly Grades!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I agree with your assessment of the Patriots' draft. Even if you deduct points for a reach on Wilson, that doesn't devalue it to a B-, IMO.

Fair enough. I'm sure the vast majority will agree with you, as well. :cool:

I believe I look at it differently than most.

I get the idea that most look at the overall haul, and grade it ~ more or less ~ compared to the rest of the league, without giving weight to the value of the Picks we began with.

What I do, is look at the Picks relative to where we picked them.

I don't give extra points for having extra Picks, which I think most other folks do, unconsciously.

On the other hand, I would've given HUGE extra points, last year, for acquiring the extra 1st Rounder, THIS year.

So I look at HighTower and Jones as excellent Prospects, but I also think that you SHOULD get excellent Prospects in the 20's.

Most folks ~ I'm not including you ~ will look at that ~ add an heavy helping of Pats Fever and a pound of In Bill We Trust ~ and declare it the Best Draft Ever!! :D

But the only OUTSTANDING Picks I saw were Bequette and Dennard, balanced against that Wilson move.

Thus: B-.

Just one man's opinion. :cool:

From ESPN:

It's not a newsflash that the Pittsburgh Steelers wanted David DeCastro. Pittsburgh selected the Stanford guard with the 24th overall pick, taking him over Alabama inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower.

But how much the Steelers coveted DeCastro will probably surprise you. According to NFL Network, the Steelers had a draft-day trade in place with the New York Jets to move up to No. 16, one spot ahead of the Bengals, and take DeCastro.

The Jets were reportedly willing to fall back to the Steelers' spot at No. 24 to get pass-rushing defensive linemen Bruce Irvin or Quinton Coples. Once the Seahawks surprisingly chose Irvin at No. 15, the Jets backed out of the trade with the Steelers and drafted Coples, NFL Network reported.

On April 26, the night of the first round, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert was asked if the team had attempted to trade up for DeCastro after selecting him. "I’ll leave that to the imagination," Colbert said last month. "I’ll just say again, we identified several guys that we thought we would entertain trading up to get, and this kid was one of them."

You could tell the Steelers were excited to get DeCastro that night because they used the word "excited" three times in Colbert and Mike Tomlin's opening statement about DeCastro. In the end, the Steelers still got the top-rated guard in the draft by staying put and not losing draft picks.

It's not known what the Steelers were willing to give up, but they might have had to trade their picks in the third and fourth rounds to move up for DeCastro, according to the draft trade chart. Pittsburgh selected linebacker Sean Spence in the third round and moved up in the fourth for nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu. The Steelers' entire draft would have looked completely different and wouldn't have been as strong.

The reason behind the trade was getting in front of the Bengals, who had been heavily linked to DeCastro leading up to the draft. But Cincinnati was more interested in Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler than DeCastro. The Bengals passed on DeCastro at No. 17 (when they chose Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick) and No. 21 (when they traded back to No. 27). According to the Bengals' official website, the team got an extra third-round pick to fall back six spots to get Zeitler, who would've been their choice if they remained at No. 21.

Steelers really, really wanted DeCastro - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

It's an interesting look on how things could have fallen. If true:

- The Jets turned down something like extra 3rd and 4th round picks to stay put and take Quinton Coples.
- The Steelers could have lost out on Alameda Ta'amu.
- The Bengals were prepared to take Kevin Zeitler at 21 if the Pats hadn't traded up for Chandler Jones, and would have taken Zeitler over David DeCastro.

If Cincy hadn't preferred Zeitler to DeCastro and felt he would be available at 27 they could have taken DeCastro at 21. The Steelers might well have taken Hightower at 24, and Jones could have been off the board at 27. The Pats' entire draft would have looked dramatically different - for better or worse. And with picks 93 and 126 still in hand, the 2nd round might have gone very differently as well.

Yeah, the O Line moves the Steelers made were stunning. :eek:

OG Dave DeCastro
OT Mike Adams
OG Kelvin Beachum

All in 1 Draft Class!!! :eek:

Put them with OC Marquis De Pouncey, give them some time to gel...and watch OUT!! :eek:

From ESPN:

- The Jets turned down something like extra 3rd and 4th round picks to stay put and take Quinton Coples.
- The Bengals were prepared to take Kevin Zeitler at 21 if the Pats hadn't traded up for Chandler Jones, and would have taken Zeitler over David DeCastro.

If Cincy hadn't preferred Zeitler to DeCastro and felt he would be available at 27 they could have taken DeCastro at 21. The Steelers might well have taken Hightower at 24, and Jones could have been off the board at 27. The Pats' entire draft would have looked dramatically different - for better or worse. And with picks 93 and 126 still in hand, the 2nd round might have gone very differently as well.

Very interesting read, and indeed, the Pats and Steelers drafts would have likely been radically different.

I also love the fact that not only is the Rats pick of Coples a somewhat risky pick, given what the opportunity cost of the extra picks they could have had, they have invested a whole lot in the overall Coples basket.

Just got done watchin tavon film again, the more I watch the more I like n c y we drafted him. He's solid, I don't like his feet agility n lack of elite athleticism but everything else I like.

From ESPN:

Watching PitsDirt rebuild their OL while maintaining a top-5 defense worries me.
At least they & the other best drafting team in the AFC, the Baltimore Murderers
(allegedly), play each other - and beat up each other - twice a year.

OG Dave DeCastro
OT Mike Adams
OG Kelvin Beachum

Put them with OC Marquis De Pouncey, give them some time to gel...and watch OUT!! :eek:
Exactly right. I predict we'll see DeCastro move around most Patriot defensive linemen, esp. now that we're going with lighter guys and skipped on the talent at 48 for a guy very likely available later.

I hope I'm wrong, but I could see the Steelers doing to us in the playoffs what the Ravens did several years ago. It all starts in the trenches.

I don't envision Deaderick or Love holding up well against DeCastro. Kendall or Worthy, would have been better.

Just got done watchin tavon film again, the more I watch the more I like n c y we drafted him. He's solid, I don't like his feet agility n lack of elite athleticism but everything else I like.
I agree. He's a legitimate third rounder, which we didn't have. He's adept at deflecting passes--just not at catching them for INTs.

I think the Texans had a better draft than Grid lets on.

Watch out for the athleticism and quickness, eerily reminiscent of a young Deion Branch, in WR Keshawn Martin. Take the pressure off their all world other WR. Whashisname?

He's a guy I wish we could have to replace Edelman on punt returns, if nothing else.

Watching PitsDirt rebuild their OL while maintaining a top-5 defense worries me.
At least they & the other best drafting team in the AFC, the Baltimore Murderers
(allegedly), play each other - and beat up each other - twice a year.

If it makes you feel better Mendenhall is probably out most of the year with a torn ACL and then his contract runs out. Mike Wallace is probably gone after this year. Polamalu gets older and more injured every year. Pouncey is always getting serious ankle injuries. James Harrison is one hit away from a huge suspension so he can't play the way he used to. Judging by their playoff game vs Denver their Def coordinator is an idiot...

Did I miss anything?

Their idiot QB is one more sexual assault away from a year-long suspension, too...

To OTG in particular and the other participants in general, I'd like your opinion on this hypothesis.

Which would you rather have.

1. BB stayed the course and after Jones and Hightower, and kept his draft positions at 48 and 62 and drafted Kendall Reyes and Trumaine Johnson (as a hybrid FS/CB option)

2. OR making the bad value trades and winding up with Wilson, Bequette, and Denard, plus 2 interesting future PS players

3. So the question is which would be better Reyes/Johnson, or Wilson/Bequette/Dennard

My initial reaction was to say #1 in a heart beat, It addresses the DE/DT issue that this draft missed as well as getting a quality FS/CB hybrid. But getting Bequette and Denard, are good pickups that we wouldn't have if we went with #1, plus Wilson has just a good a shot at being as good a FS as Johnson does. And who knows what Ebert and Ebner end up being a few years from now.

The second option would be this for after the first round

Taking Reyes at 42, making the same 2 trades and winding up with

Reyes, Bequette, Josh Bush Dennard, and Ebert

So right now I'm kind of muddled on which would have been better. How about you.

Well, it's an interesting proposition...
39.gif

I wouldn't've done EITHER, obviously.

I would've either taken MF LaVonte David at #48 and CB Trumaine Johnson at #62, and gone home...

Or I would've traded #48 to Green Bay for #59 and #123 ~ which is what they gave up for #51 ~ and probably snagged #163, too, so the Pack could get ahead of the Bolts...

And then I would've traded #59 to Denver for #87 and #120 ~ which is what they gave up for #67 ~ and probably snagged #188, as well...

I then would've traded #163 back to Green Bay, as we did, for #197, #224, and #235.

That would've given us the following Picks:

#062 ~ CB Trumaine Johnson
#087 ~ EL Jake Bequette
#120 ~ CB Josh Norman
#123 ~ OG Senio Kelemete
#188 ~ OT Nick Mondek
#197 ~ XB Michael Smith
#224 ~ SE Dale Moss
#235 ~ QB Kellen Moore

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
:D

That is a pretty sweet outcome, my friend, however come September how does all that young talent fit on the 53 man roster???

Also noticed you decided to pass on Dennard who you could have had at 224, then picked Moss up at 235, and signed Moore as an UDFA. Why pass on Dennard. I thought you liked that pick?

1 ~ Easy, my good man!! As you know, I saw room for upgrades at no less than 21 positions, Pre Draft.

And every one of those Picks addressed those "Upgradables" or "Replacables". :D

2 ~ I liked the Dennard Pick, yes, but not at the cost of letting Kellen Moore go: No WAY I take the risk of bidding against 31 other teams on'm!! And then I trade a backup QB, assuming everybody stays healthy.

Same deal with Moss. :cool:

OG Dave DeCastro
OT Mike Adams
OG Kelvin Beachum

All in 1 Draft Class!!! :eek:

Exactly right. I predict we'll see DeCastro move around most Patriot defensive linemen, esp. now that we're going with lighter guys and skipped on the talent at 48 for a guy very likely available later.

I hope I'm wrong, but I could see the Steelers doing to us in the playoffs what the Ravens did several years ago.

It all starts in the trenches.

I don't envision Deaderick or Love holding up well against DeCastro. Kendall or Worthy, would have been better.

Indeed!! The thing that struck me most dramatically in the whole Draft was how formidable the Steelers are likely to become, by January. That O Line, especially, is going to be terrifying. :eek:

Goes to show how much is in the eye of the beholder.

The draft class I thought was hands down the best was Cincinnati, and you gave them a D. I liked all their picks, every single one. And there were a lot of them, too.

100% agree on the Bengals draft. That was an A+.

Yes, I'm sure Mel Kiper would agree with both of you. ;)

So invoking the name of the Anti-Draftnik makes you right? :p

No, but it's a damned good start!!
jester.gif

The Bengals had the kind of Draft that, at first blush, looks spectacular...

But I believe that ~ considering the Picks they had ~ they should've done far, far better.

Indeed!! The thing that struck me most dramatically in the whole Draft was how formidable the Steelers are likely to become, by January. That O Line, especially, is going to be terrifying. :eek:
I agree. They just need to Mike Adams put away the bag of Dorritoes and put down the bong.

I've seen Adams dominate when he wants to. A definite first round talent with questionable work ethic and decision making. But if he puts it together...wow.

Where do you think they'll put DeCastro, LG or RG? I know they had problems with LG and released a player from that position, but we know he played RG in college.

Where do you think they'll put DeCastro, LG or RG? I know they had problems with LG and released a player from that position, but we know he played RG in college.

Great question, Sir. :cool:

I would highly recommend Left Guard, personally.

DeCastro has no weaknesses, so he could certainly play either spot well.

But I believe that his greatest Impact would be at Left Guard, because that tends to be the more athletic position of the two...and DeCastro is an absolutely phenomenal pulling Guard.

The Steelers are just LOADED on the O Line, now.

It's hard for me to imagine that we don't meet up with them on January 20th.

in Foxboro.

I think the Stanford players, DeCastro and Jonathan switch sides. DeCastro to LG from RG in Pittsburgh, and Martin to RT from LT in Miami.

I hope in imitating the Giants and their defense we haven't forgotten there are still road grater teams out there that play traditional smash-mouth football like the Steelers.

That Rainey kid will be electric, too. And now they have a replacement for Casey Hampton. Someone who I don't want to see Koppen handle one on one. The Samoan kid from Washington.

in Foxboro.

I think the Stanford players, DeCastro and Jonathan switch sides. DeCastro to LG from RG in Pittsburgh, and Martin to RT from LT in Miami.

I hope in imitating the Giants and their defense we haven't forgotten there are still road grater teams out there that play traditional smash-mouth football like the Steelers.

That Rainey kid will be electric, too. And now they have a replacement for Casey Hampton. Someone who I don't want to see Koppen handle one on one. The Samoan kid from Washington.

That would be less of an issue if we hired that Samoan kid:mad:

in Foxboro.

Tough to be a smash mouth team though when you're work horse RB is out for the year.

Are far as I know their defensive secondary is still suspect as well, esp now that Polamalu is always getting banged up.

Man, this pro-Steelers *********** is a bit much.

It's not like we won't be playing teams with better offensive lines who have actually proven themselves in the NFL.

And I'm glad we're already anointing the Samoan guy heir to Hampton, who in his prime was one of the best DT/NT's in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents