PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greatest Plays of the Patriots Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's 4th and 3 out to Amendola against the Falcons was huge. Nothing spectacular about the play but they lose without it.

Roberts tackle on Freeman in same game after 39 yard catch and run.

4th down throw to Gronk against Broncos on 4th and 10 in AFCCG - still lost the game but that may have been the most unlikely and clutch plays Brady and Gronk ever combined on.

Wes Welker (Bronco) bounces a punt off his head late in OT, leading to completion of 24-0 comeback. First game back at Gillette.

Julio Jones catch in SB51 is so spectacular I think it deserves a spot on here despite being against the Pats! Truly one of the best catches ever.

Gronk’s one handed rip back grab against Denver in regular season.

Gronk throws Sergio Brown out of the club.

What are the top-5 or so single biggest plays of the Patriots dynasty? Obviously huge weight must be placed on the biggest games, and I don’t think you could fit a regular season play into a list like this (Mo Lewis aside). This cannot be a series of plays, or a drive of any type. It has to be a single play that was critical to winning a huge game.

We all know the Malcom Butler interception rightfully tops the list, and probably by a wide margin. That’s pretty much not debatable, but feel free to list it just because it’s always good to relive. Here are the ones that come to mind (I excluded any losing games - sorry Gronk about that Denver AFCCG and SB52 when you had many worthy plays - but I included plays from winning games even if they didn’t win the SB later).

Feel free to add more and/or rank your top/favorite plays.
  • Vinatieri’s snow bowl game tying FG vs Raiders, 2001-02 ADCDG
  • Brown punt return TD vs. Steelers, 2001-02 AFCCG at Pittsburgh
  • Law’s pick-6 of Kurt Warner, SB36
  • Vinatieri’s SB winner vs Rams, SB36
  • Law picks Manning (3rd of game), clinches 2003-04 AFCCG. Manning taunted with “cut that meat!” Manning cries to competition committee and ruins offensive/defensive balance of league forever.
  • Brady to Branch for 23 yards to setup game winning FG against Panthers, SB38
  • Bruschi rips ball away from Rhodes in 2004-05 AFCDG vs. Colts (more symbolic)
  • Brady to Branch bomb at Pittsburgh AFCCG, 2004-05
  • Harrison pick-6s rookie Big Ben to blow game open AFCCG 2004-05
  • Harrison picks McNabb in end zone in 1st quarter, destroys McNabb’s confidence, SB39
  • Brown strips McCree after interception in 4th, AFCDG, 2006-07 vs. Chargers
  • Brady drops 49-yard dime to Caldwell to setup game winning FG, AFCDG vs Chargers, 2006-07
  • Moore breaks up Lee Evans go-ahead TD vs Ravens in 2011-12 AFCCG
  • Edelman throws TD pass to Amendola, AFCCG vs Ravens, 2014-15
  • Brady to LaFell TD in comeback win over Ravens in AFCDG, 2014-15
  • Officials re-inflate balls at halftime of 2014-14 AFCCG vs. Colts, giving massive advantage to Patriots after weather naturally deflates balls
  • Brady to Edelman, 3rd and 14, Super Bowl 49 vs. Seahawks
  • Hightower stops Lynch a yard short of goal line
  • *****The Butler Interception*****
  • Hightower strip sacks Ryan in fourth quarter, SB51 vs. Falcons
  • Flowers sacks Ryan, pushes Falcons to brink of field goal range, SB51 vs. Falcons
  • Long draws holding penalty, pushes Falcons out of field goal range, SB51 vs Falcons
  • Brady completes 3rd and 10 pass to Hogan on final series of regulation, SB51
  • Edelman squirrel catches Patriots to inevitability, crushes Falcons souls, SB51
  • Brady completes do-or-die two point conversion to Amendola, SB51
  • Brady throws go ahead TD pass to Amendola vs. Jags, 2017-18 AFCCG
  • Gilmore breaks up Bortles deep pass to clinch game, 2017-18 AFCCG
  • J. McCourty covers 30+ yards to breakup Goff-Cooks TD, SB53 vs. Rams
  • Brady immaculate lob to Gronkowski sets up game winning TD vs. Rams, SB53 vs. Rams
  • Gilmore intercepts Goff to essentially clinch SB53 vs. Rams

I recently re-watched the Pats/Steelers 2002 AFCCG before SB 36. And Troy Brown was simply insane in that entire game.

Punt return TD, Punt block pitch to Harris TD, and just tough strong receptions in traffic from both Brady and Bledsoe. He was amazing in that game.

I remember after the game they were interviewing Bledsoe, and they asked him just generally his thoughts, and he said "one thing for sure is once again we should all realize that Troy Brown is one of the best players in the NFL"

The Troy Brown strip of the SD pick that would have ended things. Quintessential pats player, doing things he had been asked to do on defense that year (he played spot duty at DB that season, my how our db's have improved) in a dire situation. Situational coaching likely helped cement the notion of go for the ball, and poor situational coaching on the other side led to that clown trying to run it back instead of taking a knee, and a likely W with it.

Butler pick.

Edelman insane hand-eye coordination catch.

Watson blowing up Champ Bailey.

Here's one that almost happened. Super Bowl 36, Pats up 17-3, Rams driving, 4th down and there's a fumble and Tebucky Jones scoops and goes 97 yards for a TD that would have put the Pat up 24-3 late in the game. BUT it was negated by a holding call on Willie McGinest...Otherwise that would have made this list...

I actually hate the Watson-Bailey play. Great effort, terrible result/call. If we had won that game, maybe I would feel differently.

If that punch-out fumble that Gilmore delivered on CJ Anderson in SB53 had stayed in bounds (just barely went out), that would have been legendary.

We should have known Gilmore would be a Hall of Fame caliber player the moment news of that contract broke. The Patriots do not set the market unless they are getting a really, really, really good player. Not saying he’s a Hall if Famer, just that he’s playing at that level.

How could Buffalo decline their fifth year option on a guy with this much talent???

Last edited:
Wes Welker (Bronco) bounces a punt off his head late in OT, leading to completion of 24-0 comeback. First game back at Gillette.
And brilliant coaching too! Wasn't it like 10* or so, with wind, that night?

The intentional safety in Denver giving the ball back to the Broncos down three and scheming that the defense will stop them and Brady will lead a game winning drive... all of which happened...

If that punch-out fumble that Gilmore delivered on CJ Anderson in SB53 had stayed in bounds (just barely went out), that would have been legendary.

We should have known Gilmore would be a Hall of Fame caliber player the moment news of that contract broke. The Patriots do not set the market unless they are getting a really, really, really good player. Not saying he’s a Hall if Famer, just that he’s playing at that level.

How could Buffalo decline their fifth year option on a guy with this much talent???
I think you answered your own question.

I'll offer a visually stunning play, though not even close to a "greatest" play

My favorite play, that I often watch like, 10 times a season, is Dion Lewis against half of the Cowboys defenders

I recently re-watched the Pats/Steelers 2002 AFCCG before SB 36. And Troy Brown was simply insane in that entire game.

Punt return TD, Punt block pitch to Harris TD, and just tough strong receptions in traffic from both Brady and Bledsoe. He was amazing in that game.

I remember after the game they were interviewing Bledsoe, and they asked him just generally his thoughts, and he said "one thing for sure is once again we should all realize that Troy Brown is one of the best players in the NFL"

Drew was correct and put it perfectly. Troy Brown was clearly one of the best.

Troy Brown is my favorite Pats player of all time. Even TB12 couldn't knock him off that perch.

Add this one, please. Gronk manhandling his way through the Washington defense. Number 23 just stands there because two defenders have Gronk in their grasp ... but, NO!

Add this one, please. Gronk manhandling his way through the Washington defense. Number 23 just stands there because two defenders have Gronk in their grasp ... but, NO!

It's videos like that one that make these type of threads so great. Thanks.

Edit: But it makes me miss Gronk again.

Edit: But it makes me miss Gronk again.

There's no cure for that one, I'm afraid! :)

Then there's this play too:

It can't go down as one of the great plays of the dynasty because of the game situation (it was already 38-7, 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, so icing on the cake) but it was a great play for me -- BECAUSE I WAS THERE (and with my daughter!)

Last edited:

What I'll miss most about Gronk is the piggyback rides :D

This from one of the fun games from the 2002 season against the Bears. Great comeback and great pass from Brady to Patten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down