SOURCE:Patriots.com

SOURCE:Patriots.com

SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Gost is back: Two-year deal

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by cstjohn17, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Gronk

Gronk 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,957
    Aw man

I heard this guy sucks

I guess this is bad

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

2. Wheelman

Wheelman Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,375
    Nice list Pape!o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +26,367
    You ****ing jumped into a discussion and defended people who literally wrote it was Ghost who cost us a trip to the SB.

This is no straw man but you either not being aware of the context you are barging in or more maybe just moving the goalposts because you realized your argument is too reductive and flawed.

Next time maybe check more posts upstream before kneejerking into a discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,364
    The XP rate from the 2 was 99.5%. From the 17 it's 95%.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,502
    Good news. Especially since I picked up his jersey last year. :D

6. Pape

Pape Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +283
    I jumped into the thread and said that his misses hurt the team. Newsflash: I am not responsible for what others have said. Read what I write and respond to that - not what you think I mean because of what other people have said. IF YOU have problems with your reading comprehension because your ego gets in the way of your eyes, thats on you, not me.

And you havent been using a strawman argument? Bull Effing Shat. You started one as soon as you possibly could. As soon as you dropped Brady into the conversation about a kicker it became the definition of a strawman argument.

So how about next time stick to the topic at hand instead of wading into a thread calling people morons and saying they have no right to post unless they happen to agree with you? Newsflash your OPINION isn't any more correct than anyone else's. I have been very explicit in what I have said and have been very careful to stay very consistent in what i have said. I haven't made grandiose claims, made crap up or offered a lot of idiotic commentary like a lot of people here, and and you guys have done nothing but **** all over me.

Gostkowski is a kicker. His numbers now are not so much better than anyone else's that it was imperative that the Patriots resign him. IN fact in Three out of the past Three Super Bowls he has missed kicks. The Patriots have been fortunate that in two out those three games the team was able to over come those misses. And it is fortunate because there was very little margin of error in those games. Go on, tell me I'm wrong? You cant.

All you guys carping about him being the greatest kicker in the Patriots history? About how great his career averages are? So what?!?! Its not about what he did in 2006-2016. Its about what he has done recently and what he will do tomorrow. Not what he did a decade ago. And recently his numbers have been average.Go on tell me I'm wrong. You Can't.

Every time he walks up to make a kick you got to wonder if "this is the one he is going to shank"... because there is no way in hell you are thinking he is automatic anymore, and you are say otherwise we both know you are lying.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,309
    The best kicker we've ever had has come back. I don't know about some of you but I'm as happy as ol' Blue layin' on the porch chewin' on a big ol' catfish head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bruins29

Bruins29 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,179
    So someone pointing out that Tom Brady's interception probably cost the team a loss more than a missed XP did is a "strawman?" Sounds like just a fact to me.

And you coming in here claiming victim now isnt going to work either. Where has everyone **** all over you? Pointing out how gost isnt as responsible for a loss and pointing out your terrible argument is **** all over you?

Your claims in this thread are the problem. When you start claiming that a bunch of kickers have never missed a PAT and you use all the guys who kicked PAT's from the 2 yard line to compare to Gost misses it brings a lot of negative attention to yourself.

Then you post this list (with a posters response in bold) which I guess are supposed to be Kickers you would prefer over Gost. This diddnt help your cause either.

Connor Barth < --- Dude sucks
    Dan Bailey < --- Did you watch him this season?
    Josh Brown < --- Admitted abusive husband, will never play in this league again
    Justin Tucker < --- Not available
    Billy Cundiff < --- 2011 AFC champ game, LOL, you talk about Ghost and then mention him.

So, yeah you kinda deserve a little **** just for those lists. Go ahead, tell me I am wrong. You cant.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Soliel

Soliel PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,446
    It’s ok bro. He’s a system kicker. We have a playbook.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pape

Pape Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +283
    That's only a list of guys who were kicking after the changes to the xp in 2015. But hey, why let that stand in your way of a good self righteous rant, right? Did I ever say I wanted any of these guys? Even hint at it? Nope. Go back an look, I know you are going to. Prove me wrong.

My claims in this thread amount to this: Gostkowski missing kicks in big games is a problem and has hurt this team. Get it? Tell me you don't think that those missed kicks are an issue. Or is it something that we can forgive him for because other people make mistakes too? What the hell is wrong with calling a player out for making a mistake or two or ten? Nothing.

And hell yes dropping another player into the discussion, saying that their mistakes were even worse is the Definition of a Strawman Argument. Don't look at what player A did because Player B is even worse ... Really man, you going to take a run at me on that one? pfff... good luck with that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1

11. Froob

Froob Independent Investigator & pliable af PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,024
    I believe Gostowski missed a field goal end of Ravens 33-14 wild card win, would have give them a slimmer of hope but didn't matter much.

You just never know with these college kickers, it's dicey. You might be able to get a more reliable kicker than Gost for a fraction of the cost, but I would be nervous going that route. A bad kicker is a killer. Paying a bit of a premium to get a guy who you know is pretty reliable is a good way to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Bruins29

Bruins29 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,179
    For someone who profusely claimed they did not care about Gost and thought his signing was completely irrelevant you certainly havn't shown it.

Face it, your argument is terrible... Just kindly point out a kicker that was available that has never missed a big kick and/or could guarantee that he wouldnt. I am sure if you can do that (as you seem to have an answer for everything) you will be able to claim victory and prove all of your doubters wrong.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
  13. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,955
    Good. $5.5 million in guaranteed money is great for a kicker. Thank you for returning to New England Mr. G.

Special teams is once again a strength of this team. I liked the Bruce Ellington signing - a solid return man on both punts and kickoffs, and I really liked Brandon Bolden coming back.

Onto TE, LT, WR, DL and LB. There are lots of holes to fill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,005
    Yeah I guess that's a statistical fact, apparently. It is comforting to keep another established, reliable player to solidify special teams. Gost rarely shanks one, and obviously Belichick trusts him.

Best ever? Hmmm. Gino simply belongs in Canton.

Adam really got it down, when it comes down to clutch, game winning kicks. That's a fact. His records and longevity should put him in Canton.

John Smith is a great Patriot whose legacy might have needed one thing to catapult him to the level of the others: if his 50-yard attempt in the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum on 12/18/76 had not fallen just short. That may have allowed us to overcome the officials that day and led to the world championship. Bob Baumhower blocking the game winner in the Orange Bowl the night John Lennon was murdered doesn't help, either.

But Smith belongs on Pats Placekicker Mount Rushmore.

On a side note, one of the first things on the endless list of evils committed by that tool Goodell when he became Ommissioner was to disband NFL Europe, where Vinatieri first got a job after college. That league gave invaluable experience to players, coaches, officials and staff which the league often benefited (and profited) from (Vinatieri, Warner, etc.) It was good for everyone, good for the sport and established enthusiastic, long term fan followings across the pond. That it lost money was irrelevant and in fact misleading in the big picture.

15. ChessToCheckers

ChessToCheckers On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +926
    This.

I'm really happy to see the Gostkowski and Bolden return for 2019!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,382
  17. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13,410

• Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM
  18. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +12,364

I'm not sure where the $5.5M guaranteed comes from, as the numbers listed only add up to $3.7M and Underhill insists the guarantee in 2020 is $200K.

The roster bonuses add up to $750K a year, and the 2019 number is completely LTBE.

19. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,005
    I have a structured settlement and I need cash now;)

20. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +12,364
    Patriots' Stephen Gostkowski: I was 100 percent wanting to be here

An interesting tidbit here: this was the first time in 13 years that Gostkowski had reached unrestricted free agency.

And this isn't a Brady-like situation, where Brady and the team kept reaching extensions; this was the Patriots preventing him from reaching FA (in 2015 with the franchise tag, in 2010 by using the weirdness of the expiring CBA to prevent him and Mankins from reaching unrestricted FA).

• Useful Useful x 1