Goodell says playoffs could expand to 14 or 16 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Goodell says playoffs could expand | ProFootballTalk

What a horrible horrible decision/thought by a equally horrible person

At the conclusion of the league’s quarterly ownership meeting in Dallas, Commissioner Roger Goodell dusted off a concept that rears its head from time to time.

Expanded playoffs.

Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.

The use of 16 playoff teams would eliminate the bye weeks, requiring the top two seeds in each conference to play in the wild-card round, which would become a quarterfinal round in the AFC and NFC.

It also suggests that, with a 16-team playoff field, perhaps the NFL will eventually decide to fill vacancies in L.A. and London via expansion.
This would be similar to NBA where most of the fans would only tune in when the playoffs are set to begin, i mean why waste your time when you know that half the league will be playing in the playoffs

Consider a scenario where a 5-11 team for example Jags get into the playoffs and end up winning the SB defeating a 15-1 Packers...... terrible terrible idea

Last edited:
Re: Goodell says playoffs could expand

No, no, no!

Last edited:

You KNOW that this will happen...revenue $ :mad:

Goody laid out a gameplan to owners projecting a $20B + revenue stream by decade's end

Last edited:

This is a guy trying to resurrect his image - he will with many with this decision.

Another stupid idea from this guy? Every week he looks like a bigger idiot.

He just lost all credibility with the player suspensions being vacated.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what makes the NFL so great. It is a perfect system right now! Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Stupid, just stupid. If they change the format leaving us the only 11-5 team in history to miss out on the playoffs I'll be even more pissed

No, no, no!

Here's an idea:

1. We extend the regular season to 18 games. Teams are already worn tissue-paper thin by game 12 or so, and can barely band-aid together a roster. 18 games will bring them to their knees.

2. We then let ALL 32 teams into the playoffs. Why stop at 16? Let them fight it out? After all, the goal is to get as many games televised as possible, in order to generate more revenue. Nothing else matters.

Moron.

The players don't need concussion protection nearly as much as Goodell does.

In politics they'd call this a deliberate distraction. Throw out a thought bubble or raise another topic to take the focus of something that's hurting your image.

Goodell's been getting smashed over his handling on the Saints issue and then this thought bubble for people to get all fired up about appears.

Interesting timing.

Last edited:
AWFUL idea. Football is better then baseball in every way but one, playoffs. Getting to the playoffs means you are one of the elite with a legit chance of winning a championship. 12 teams is a few much for my own liking but the format makes sense by rewarding the true elite with a bye and a better shot at the championship. 16 teams? Blah!!!!! That's half the league and takes away the accomplishment of making it.

Goodell: Look! A Squirrel!

Last edited:
Currently the team with the 8th best record in the AFC is the, you guessed it, J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.

Don't do it.

It would transform the NFL regular season into the equivalent of MLB baseball. A long useless spring preseason; and interminalinconsequential summer preseason; and finally followed by the short Playoff regular season.

MLB is dying as a result. Why care about the so-called "Pennant Race"?

It would be much better and more profitable to negotiate with the NFLPA, get an 18 game season, 2 game preseason ,along with a second bye week, and expanded rosters to 60 or so. It wouldn't cost much. Merely allowing 53 to dress and play instead of 47 costs nothing. Upgrading the Practice Squad to full roster but non-active participants at probable league minimum salaries would not be very costly either.

Stadium revenues would not change much, since preseason is included in season ticket packages, but TV revenues woud skyrocket with 32 more genuine games to broadcast.

In politics they'd call this a deliberate distraction. Throw out a thought bubble or raise another topic to take the focus of something that's hurting your image.

Goodell's been getting smashed over his handling on the Saints issue and then this thought bubble for people to get all fired up about appears.

Interesting timing.

AKA: wagging the dog.

And did I read this right, Top Seeds would lose the Bye?!?! Goodell needs a smack upside the head for that part alone.

Last edited:
The players don't need concussion protection nearly as much as Goodell does.

Mostly because fans are going to start throwing rocks at the guy if they see him. After ideas like this, it would amaze me if he could walk outside without being harassed or picketed. He should remove all visits to the state of Texas from his schedule. They tend to have a lot of weapons and take their football very seriously.

Don't do it.

It would transform the NFL regular season into the equivalent of MLB baseball. A long useless spring preseason; and interminalinconsequential summer preseason; and finally followed by the short Playoff regular season.

I'm not following your logic. Only 4 teams make the playoffs in each league. The MLB regular season matters a lot.

I will tell you who will be happy

Browns
Jets
Jags
Saints
Panthers
Eagles

I doubt the Raiders or Cowboys would make it to the POfs even if it was expanded to 16 teams

I hate this man. He'll ruin the game.

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

How the hell could you have 7 teams in each conference in the playoffs anyway? What would that bracket be like?

Cutting the number of playoff teams makes more sense than adding to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes