PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case, then in my opinion the outrage EVERYWHERE is disproportionate to the actual impact of the changes. If it truly is this big travesty, then people will stop watching and the NFL will have made a mistake. But otherwise I just can't get that upset about such a minor issue. If I'm the only one then so be it.

It's pretty clear that the issue is the "one on top of the other, and all for the dollar" nature of things. You seem to be overlooking that, for some reason. You're welcome to do so, of course, but it's the reason you think of this as minor when others (apparently including NFL GMs) are pissed off.

Greed is going to be Goodell's downfall, he needs to learn when to stop pushing the envelope. He got away with three days he should take that and walk away with a smile.

It's pretty clear that the issue is the "one on top of the other, and all for the dollar" nature of things. You seem to be overlooking that, for some reason. You're welcome to do so, of course, but it's the reason you think of this as minor when others (apparently including NFL GMs) are pissed off.
You can read Mike Rodak's tweets today for what Bills GM Doug Whaley thinks of having the draft in May. Here's one:
Mike Rodak @mikerodak · 3h
Whaley on extra 2 weeks: “It doesn’t help us. … you study long, you study wrong."

The proportions of MY outrage have yet to reach maturity....
  • :eek:

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but it sounds messy.

Fair enough. I'll admit it's probable (even likely) that my apathy towards it is missing some bigger picture, and I'll be happy to amend my opinion when I see those adverse effects. At the moment, my opinion is people are naturally resistant to change, and (justifiably) averse to anything and everything Goodell. Those two things have made a mountain out of a molehill.

peyton-manning-e1391030191378.jpg

?

The Forehead isn't completely evil, think about how much joy we get watching him lose. I enjoyed the Seahawks destroying the Broncos more than any SB in memory, it was glorious. We don't have anything like that with Goodell.

Dude knows jiu jitsu though so you might not want to say that to his face.
I wouldn't have to, he already knows he's an overcompensating sawed-off runt.

The Forehead isn't completely evil, think about how much joy we get watching him lose. I enjoyed the Seahawks destroying the Broncos more than any SB in memory, it was glorious. We don't have anything like that with Goodell.
That's true. That Super Bowl was probably the most enjoyable one I've watched that didn't include a Patriots victory.

And by "one less month" you mean "two less weeks", because last year the draft was on April 25th. This year May 8th. The amount of outrage in this thread is completely disproportionate to the actual impact of any changes made.
Who is outraged? I'm not. I just think it's a dumb idea. Not only does it give the rookies less time to get acquainted with their new team while also giving procrastinator teams a hand, it also increases the amount of private workouts that will take place between the Combine in the draft (which could lead to injury). It's a lull for which I haven't seen one convincing argument made in it's favor other than, "well I'll still watch it and if you don't like it then maybe you should stop watching football".

I wouldn't have to, he already knows he's an overcompensating sawed-off runt.
Now you've done it. A beady eyed, heavy breathing Russian hit squad is probably on their way to your house as we speak.

Yup, just as I expected.... another thread chock full of people attacking Goodell for things that are 100% the responsibilities and wishes of the owners.

I bet Bob Kraft is 100% on board with every single thing people are criticizing Goodell for.

I fail to see how they've "screwed the pooch" with a move to May. It may not be some people's preference, but I know I for one don't give a crap, and I have yet to meet one person who would have watched the draft in April but won't in May.
Truer words were never spoken. The people whining the loudest are the hardcore fans and everyone knows they will be watching anyway.

The NFL moved their marquee offseason event into a TV "sweeps" month. This is hardly the sign of the devil at play. It actually makes quite a bit of sense to anyone who thinks about it.

I will again display my outrage that the draft was put off for 2 weeks because Goodell deferred to Radio City Music Hall's request for the The Rockettes broadway production of some super Easter gala, which was scrapped so the place is sitting there empty.

Since when do the Rockettes and Radio City Music Hall take precedence over the NFL Draft? Only in the Goodell era. Hey Rog, here's an idea-find another venue eff-wipe! Why couldn't they do it in the Javitz convention Center like in '05? You had a friggin' year to figure it out.

You want to know why Goodell's a total asshat? Read on.:D

http://www.theheckler.com/2013/05/3...y-8-to-avoid-conflict-with-goodells-vacation/

I will again display my outrage that the draft was put off for 2 weeks because Goodell deferred to Radio City Music Hall's request for the The Rockettes broadway production of some super Easter gala, which was scrapped so the place is sitting there empty.
Except, how was the NFL supposed to know 9 months ago that that production would eventually be scrapped?

Besides, this had nothing to do with that and everything about moving the offseason's biggest TV event into the May "sweeps" period. If they get good ratings, expect it to continue.

Hell why not milk it all the way and do a round a day at this rate it's freakin ridiculous. I can't stand that it was already split into three days and the date was pushed back.

A thing people keep missing is that not all rookies can participate in OTA's until the college they attended senior class graduates. So a lot of the draft picks can only do rookie camp and have to wait till said college graduates.

I agree I'm a fan of the 1 day draft they really suck you into watching the whole day. Now by the third day its old, bring it back to the one day draft it benefits everyone.

I get the draft being a 3 day event. Round 1 can easily stand on its own. 2/3 is interesting enough and 4/5/6/7 for the die hard fans that are into it. However with 4 days what do you do?

You have to do 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6/7 However, can round 2 really stand on its own as its own night? If you go 1, 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 Then who the heck is going to want to watch day 4 besides true die hards? A lot of big NFL fans will just not tune in for it and i don't blame them.

I don't even watch anymore. I can't predict what the Pats will do and it doesn't matter so why bother? I just look at the list at the end and wait until camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes