PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going All In -- Question

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I wanted to make a post about the prospect of going all in this draft -- taking both a generational WR and trading assets to move up for a QB.

In terms of value, Marvin Harrison Jr. is almost the easiest pick of all time at #3. And considering #1 and #2 are QB needy teams, MHJ will likely be ours to take. So let's say we take him at #3. The question becomes whether this might be the moment to trade assets to a team like the Cardinals at #4 to get that slot to select a Jayden Daniels. Considering the Cardinals likely wanted MHJ, it seems they may be shopping that pick.

I guess my question is whether this is the year to be more aggressive in the draft and make a move to secure a top-tier QB and WR. We'll lose a fair amount of draft capital, but it seems like this draft is the one to roll the dice.

Thoughts on this?

I wanted to make a post about the prospect of going all in this draft -- taking both a generational WR and trading assets to move up for a QB.

In terms of value, Marvin Harrison Jr. is almost the easiest pick of all time at #3. And considering #1 and #2 are QB needy teams, MHJ will likely be ours to take. So let's say we take him at #3. The question becomes whether this might be the moment to trade assets to a team like the Cardinals at #4 to get that slot to select a Jayden Daniels. Considering the Cardinals likely wanted MHJ, it seems they may be shopping that pick.

I guess my question is whether this is the year to be more aggressive in the draft and make a move to secure a top-tier QB and WR. We'll lose a fair amount of draft capital, but it seems like this draft is the one to roll the dice.

Thoughts on this?
The entire rest of our draft wouldn't come close to getting the #4. The starting price would be this year's 2nd and next year's 1st and 2nd.

Harrison is NOT the easiest pick of all time for a team that needs 2 QB's: a top 15 draftee and a veteran to start for 1/2 a year and then backup for the next 1 1/2 years.

What we might do is to extract best value for trading the 3rd pick and still pick a QB in the top 10 or 15.

I wanted to make a post about the prospect of going all in this draftt -- taking both a generational WR and trading assets to move up for a QB.

Thoughts on this?
This Draft is too Strong at WR to sellout for one Guy as long as BB ain't making the pick or in the building we'll be fine.

If Harrison were Randy Moss or Tyreek Hill, you take him at 3. But he is not.

Take a qb or top LT

Somebody suggested this on Reddit a while ago, and the projected trade I put together was 2024 2nd, 2025 1st and 2nd, 2026 1st, Gonzalez, and Barmore. It hurts a lot more when you look at what it might take to actually pull off.

Id rather trade back up into the back half of the first for a guy like Nix. You’d give up less capital and you could do a lot worse than Nix in the back half. Nix and MHjr. would be a great end to a first night imo.

IMO there are more good WRs if you want to do that. I would rather draft the QB at 3 and then try to trade up to around 12-13 ish for Rome Odunze. The cost would be much less prohibitive. You could maybe stretch a bit for Nabors if you wanted but depends on how the board falls.

But I think if they’re gonna trade up for someone it should probably be for a left tackle.

I thought we went all in on Strange and Jones?

Bad first round picks are only half the problem. The other half are bad picks rounds 2-6.

Take the QB at #3, and decide on LT or WR depending upon what the better player is when the 2nd round pick rolls around. This isn’t a 1 year project, and they are loaded with free agent cash. They have a very good defense, and they can build around the young QB in the next 2 free agency periods, and drafts.

Depends how the 1st few picks go. If you trade 3 you try to move back a few spots and get Daniels. Then with the ammo you got for trading back you come back in around 9 or 10 if Nabers is still there.

That could be the start of an explosive offence

Depends how the 1st few picks go. If you trade 3 you try to move back a few spots and get Daniels. Then with the ammo you got for trading back you come back in around 9 or 10 if Nabers is still there.

That could be the start of an explosive offence

I wouldn’t screw around with that pick at all, unless you don’t want a QB. You move back a few spots and another team moves up and grabs the QB and you get completely screwed. They haven’t had a pick this high since Bledsoe, and they should make the pick, not play games with it.

For me, it only matters if Bill Belichick is here next season of hid choice. If the Krafts fire BB, I, as a 100% Patriots fan who has not missed a game, in person or on TV, since September 1960, will not be watching the Patriots any longer. I am in NJ until I die, which should come sooner rather than later, so I have many teams to jump to. I also like the Bills, KC, and BB's team. I will watch the Jets' Arron Rodgers team locally. With the NFL, I have always been a 49ers fan, but as a kid, I was a Giants fan as so.

I hope Bill will leave on his own, and maybe go to the Charges, where he might get instant wins for his record. He dumped his girlfriend before this season started so he could go to the West Coast and sell Nantucket, but then his kids are all in the east, and he loves his boat. There are lots for him to consider, but for me, it is easy unless he stays of his choice.

BTW, the officiating has been so bad it has ruined the NFL, and as it expands into Europe, it will only get worse; maybe if Bill is fired, it is time to become a casual fan or not one any longer.

Last edited:
if you have a brain and you watch other NFL teams you will see the talent gap on offense is wider than the grand canyon. it will take more than "selling out" in the draft, much more. the person who picked the players has set this franchise back many years

I wouldn’t screw around with that pick at all, unless you don’t want a QB. You move back a few spots and another team moves up and grabs the QB and you get completely screwed. They haven’t had a pick this high since Bledsoe, and they should make the pick, not play games with it.
I agree completely if they love someone there, but if they aren’t all in on the player at 3 then I’m ok with the trade back if it’s a great haul.

This is insane to me. The only thing that matters in the NFL is the QB.

You could tell me Harrison is guaranteed to be the next Calvin Johnson and Drake Maye has a 20% chance of becoming a Top 5 QB, and I would still take Drake Maye 10-times out of 10.

Someone please remind me how many Super Bowls the best Wide Receivers of the 21st century have won. Randy Moss? Calvin Johnson? Julio Jones? Larry Fitzgerald?

Funny enough, I just looked at all the WRs drafted in the first round since 2015. You want to know how many of those first round receivers have won a Super Bowl?

ONE

And who is that sole 1st Round WR to have won a Super Bowl since 2015?

Phillip f$&@ing Dorsett lol.

Id rather trade back up into the back half of the first for a guy like Nix. You’d give up less capital and you could do a lot worse than Nix in the back half. Nix and MHjr. would be a great end to a first night imo.
So, trade our 2nd, 3rd and 4th to move up to get Nix or whoever else is still available?

This is insane to me. The only thing that matters in the NFL is the QB.

You could tell me Harrison is guaranteed to be the next Calvin Johnson and Drake Maye has a 20% chance of becoming a Top 5 QB, and I would still take Drake Maye 10-times out of 10.

Someone please remind me how many Super Bowls the best Wide Receivers of the 21st century have won. Randy Moss? Calvin Johnson? Julio Jones? Larry Fitzgerald?

Funny enough, I just looked at all the WRs drafted in the first round since 2015. You want to know how many of those first round receivers have won a Super Bowl?

ONE

And who is that sole 1st Round WR to have won a Super Bowl since 2015?

Phillip f$&@ing Dorsett lol.
I agree, we need a QB first and foremost, get the QB and piece the rest together with our other picks at the top of each round and tons of cash we have for free agents.

So, trade our 2nd, 3rd and 4th to move up to get Nix or whoever else is still available?
Nah. I’m talking 10 spots tops. Could probably wait and get Nix in the 2nd but why risk it if you think he’s your guy? Get an extra yr. on that contract. It wouldn’t cost that much.

Nah. I’m talking 10 spots tops. Could probably wait and get Nix in the 2nd but why risk it if you think he’s your guy? Get an extra yr. on that contract. It wouldn’t cost that much.
Ok, I'm with you. If it likely that we could have Nix or Mccarthy or Penix at 24, I'd be fine with waiting a trading up. Here's one consenus draft that has Nix at 13.

The trade chart says that it would take our 3rd to move 10 spots. I would note that I am fine with trading up from 34 to secure a QB or OT for a 5 year commitment.

My gut feel is that at least 5 of the top QB's will be gone after the first half, at 17 or lter.

Last edited:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back