PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe's Greg Bedard's Mock 4/15: S Harrison Smith, trade for Browns' 3rd & 2013 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Globe's Greg Bedard's Mock 4/15: S Harrison Smith, trade for Browns' 3rd & 2013 1st

I have two major issue with this mock. First, as many have pointed out already there is no way Cleveland makes that trade. They already have excess picks from the Julio Jones trade and I think there is a good chance they could gain more by trading back from 4. I don't see any way they trade forward a 1st round pick, especially when they have one so close in the early 2nd. Especially for a soon to be 29 year old rookie QB.

My other issue is the Harrison Smith pick. I think it contradicts everything we know about the Pats drafting strategy. For a team that preaches value and best player available, this pick screams reach for need. I wouldn't count out any pick for the Pats, but this one would really disappoint me.

re: Globe's Greg Bedard's Mock 4/15: S Harrison Smith, trade for Browns' 3rd & 2013 1st

Harrison Smith in the first would make me puke.

As much as I understand taking a 2nd and the next year 1st for a 1st this year I wouldn't trade for a 3rd even though the Brown's first is enticing. Take both 1st's, the talent is there and will likely be available.

First, Greg Bedard's Mock draft should be in the Mock Draft Fail Thread.

Second, Harrison Smith rated the #47 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Thus, the selection of Harrison Smith in the first round provides no value whatsoever. Furthermore, Harrison Smith is one of the most overrated and overhyped draft prospects in the 2012 NFL Draf
t.

First off, I am not a huge Smith fan, but I have gone on record (here and on pfw in progress) saying that Smith is a strong possibility as a first round pick for the Patriots. Ratings on websites really do not mean anything, it is what teams have them rated. No one can really be over or under rated at this stage. When a player is taken, that is his value. Just because some draftnik on a website has him rated at 47 does not set his value at 47.

Again, I am not here to defend the pick of Smith, I honestly would be a bit disappointed as well, but I just see things lining up for that to be the pick.

First off, I am not a huge Smith fan, but I have gone on record (here and on pfw in progress) saying that Smith is a strong possibility as a first round pick for the Patriots. Ratings on websites really do not mean anything, it is what teams have them rated. No one can really be over or under rated at this stage. When a player is taken, that is his value. Just because some draftnik on a website has him rated at 47 does not set his value at 47.

Again, I am not here to defend the pick of Smith, I honestly would be a bit disappointed as well, but I just see things lining up for that to be the pick.

Easy way to assess Smith's value for the Pats is to think about how he would compare to Patrick Chung (drafted @34) in the Pats eyes. If you think BB will see Harrison Smith as a better player than Patrick Chung coming out of college then #27 is a reasonable value for him. If not, then he's unlikely to be the pick. It's close, but reading old scouting reports on Chung, he seems like he was a better Patriots fit than Smith is today.

Smith would make too much sense for the Patriots. Instead they will draft some obscure guard from Mooseknuckle Saskatchewan. Or a TE...

But that guard's combine numbers are off the charts.

Smith would make too much sense for the Patriots. Instead they will draft some obscure guard from Mooseknuckle Saskatchewan. Or a TE...

That will both start next year, be candidates for ROY and be all pro in 2013....

I wouldn't hate the pick. I like that he fits a big need and is the COMLETE opposite of Brandon Merriweather.

Strengths: Ideal size for a Safety prospect – Smart, savvy and instinctual football player Takes very good angles to the ball – Not fooled often, trust his eyes – Likes to come up and assist in run support and can play physical, but at the same time seems natural playing “centerfield” – Reads the QB very well and gets a great jump on pass routes – Not often in the wrong position – Solid fundamental tackler – Good ball skills, breaks up a lot of passes – Incredibly consistent production – Has the ability to play both safety spots – Smith is just an overall fundametally and instinctually sound player – Very coachable – Team Captain and exhibits a very solid work ethic.

Harrison Smith NFL Draft Scouting Report | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft

I know it, they are such morons. It shows too, as they haven't been able to get out of the cellar for years, whereas fans like you would have made the right choices and kept them on top. Unfortunately Belichick does not have the fantasy football and Madden GM experience you do and can't come anywhere near the success you would have if you ran the team. Your neverending critiques should be taken to heart by the Kraft's because you clearly know how to run an NFL franchise, and your Madden success makes that obvious. Sucks we are stuck with this coach and front office, you're the man.

...or an injury-prone CB...or a RB...or another RB...or a ST "ace"(snicker)...
...or get hosed in another trade w/ the corpse of Al Davis...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back