PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glazer: Pats Interested in Trading For “Premium” WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the Cards fired Arians and replaced him with Wilks this season, they also replaced DC James Bettcher (a 3-4 guy) with Al Holcomb (a 4-3 guy) which disrupted the roles of several existing front-seven players.

Riddick played almost exclusively on ST for the first four games of 2018. Since his "promotion" in wk-5, Riddick has played 100% of the Cards' D-snaps and, in just four games, has pretty much matched his production from his entire rookie season in 2017. He has 28 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 QBH, 4 PDs and 1 FF. He also dirt cheap on only the second year of his rookie deal. I doubt that Keim would be eager to part with him now (although I'm not sure he's the brightest bulb on the tree) .

In contrast, Bucannon - who had averaged about 76% of the D-snaps during the first four years of his career as a SS/LB hybrid in the 3-4 (and sparingly on ST) - is suddenly being used only intermittently on defense (35% of D-snaps) and extensively on ST (56% versus 13% during his first four seasons). Pretty clearly, he's been a victim of the defensive scheme change.

He may well be expendable from Keim's perspective -- especially since his 5th-year option salary (picked up a year before the coaching/scheme change) is a fully-guaranteed $8.72M. If the Pats traded for Bucannon, his remaining 2018 salary would hit the Pats' cap for about $4.6M -- a couple million too much, as things currently stand with cap space. If Keim was willing to eat that couple million by converting salary to bonus, the trade might fly.

I'd guess that the asking price for Bucannon's proven abilities might be as high as a 2nd-rounder, especially if Keim has to eat some cap to move him. The floor might be a 2019 3rd-rounder. Bucannon is UFA at the end of 2018. If other teams view him as primarily an LB, he could easily receive a contract large enough to give the Cards a 3rd-round Comp pick in 2020. So, a pick traded for him now would probably need to exceed that value.

Another potential downside for the Pats is that Bucannon could end being a half-season rental for $2.6M by pricing himself outside the Pats range in the 2019 FA market.
Excellent insight. I didn’t realize Reddick’s snaps had increased that much. It’s just a glaring need in my opinion. Elandon Roberts isn’t going to be a long term solution. Same problem we had in the super bowl last year. Mitch Trubisky was running for first downs like 2004 Michael Vick. Just shouldn’t happen.

Excellent insight. I didn’t realize Reddick’s snaps had increased that much. It’s just a glaring need in my opinion. Elandon Roberts isn’t going to be a long term solution. Same problem we had in the super bowl last year. Mitch Trubisky was running for first downs like 2004 Michael Vick. Just shouldn’t happen.

I keep hearing this and I wonder why the DEs aren't being held responsible for containing Trubisky. Are you telling me that Roberts was a "QB spy" (and as such, equally responsible)? Otherwise, he was just responding to a broken play. This is one of those situations where I think the coaching staff overlooked Trubisky's mobility. It's not something that would happen if they were in our division.

Last edited:
Golden Tate cap hit for rest of season is 3.74 mil. Lions want at least a 4th...PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

Yes to Tate. 4th rounders are useless, especially with our recent draft picks...bust after bust. Still want Demaryius but I don't want to give up a first....is Antonio Brown available??? I'll forgive his ****ty Pizza Hut commercial.

Yes to Tate. 4th rounders are useless, especially with our recent draft picks...bust after bust. Still want Demaryius but I don't want to give up a first....is Antonio Brown available??? I'll forgive his ****ty Pizza Hut commercial.
4ths are useless?

Go back and look at the picks and the league ave of success

Haha what?? Our 4th rounders have produced

Wise-solid rotational piece on the line
Flowers-best player on our DL
Mason-best player on our OL
Mitchell-busted due to injury but was a big piece his rookie year on SB winning team.
James white-do i need to go on?

Mitchell-busted due to injury but was a big piece his rookie year on SB winning team.

We should just trade our 2nd rounders for 4th rounders every year :eek:

Yes, NE is better off ditching a second rounder than a 4th if the last decade in any indication.

I have a TRADE CONSPIRACY THEORY:

Patriots trade Dont'a Hightower to Lions for Golden Tate and a 4th rounder.

Patriots then trade a 7th Rounder to the Browns for Jamie Collins.

Patriots then trade a 5th Rounder to the Cardinals for Hasaan Reddick.

Why does this make sense?

Dont'a Hightower is inactive tonight. Trading him will free up a lot of cap space to trade for Collins and Reddick. Makes sense, but just a theory.

Go get Larry Fitzgerald from the Cardinals, you would like to think that they would do him a Ray Bourque and give him a shot at a ring. I’d add Patrick Peterson but I just don’t think they are getting rid of him. But if they want to deal both I’d be all for it.

I have a TRADE CONSPIRACY THEORY:

Patriots trade Dont'a Hightower to Lions for Golden Tate and a 4th rounder.

Patriots then trade a 7th Rounder to the Browns for Jamie Collins.

Patriots then trade a 5th Rounder to the Cardinals for Hasaan Reddick.

Why does this make sense?

Dont'a Hightower is inactive tonight. Trading him will free up a lot of cap space to trade for Collins and Reddick. Makes sense, but just a theory.

Oh god this actually makes sense to not risk injury and trade him to a team where’s he’s familiar with the defense. Could explain the interest in Collins.

You literally know nothing about nothing.

I’m all for Tate as well, I just don’t think the Lions want the look of dealing him to NE. I don’t want Thomas, he’s as soft as it gets in the NFL.

Hightower would be valuable to Detroit, not just from a talent standpoint (even if he does seem to be declining a bit) but from a leadership standpoint. Also a guy who can support Patricia.

Gostkowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents