PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore on the Physically Unable To Perform List

Yeah, it’s definitely 20/20 hindsight. Though I thought we should have traded him last year, and said as much at the time, when it was clear we were simply punting to 2021. Makes no sense to trade him now. I’ll add the caveat that it’s probably a 50/50 shot, at best, that this is contract-related as opposed to being injury-related.
Even now I still wish we traded him last year. Most people knew his value was at an all time high and would only come down from that point as well as the fact he wanted a new deal/more money. I wish we could have taken the second round pick or whatever it would have been and then drafted a corner this year and hoped for the best. I also believe his injury is directly correlated to his contract. I would assume his line of thinking is if he is only getting paid a portion of what he is worth he is only going to play a portion of the season. He all but told Josina Anderson he could be ready for the season if his contract is adjusted.

Thanks for the response, I get where you're coming from, and appreciate your opinions.

I get where Reiss gets all the respect from, but it seems to me he's more often than not stating the obvious, and isn't comfortable challenging the party line.

I don't hear much from Howe since he disappeared behind The Athletic's paywall.

I also don't get cable TV because it ain't worth the money and don't listen to Boston sports talk shows because it ain't worth the time.

So when I do hear from Curran it's usually via his podcast, or occasionally via written pieces on the NBC sports site.

On these he's got a format where he doesn't have to be a full on media whore, he's got time to walk you through what his positions are and how he comes up with them.

And sometimes he's even apologetic for going with the click bait lines he's run with at times, but it's all a part of the job if you want your face on TV.

I think of him more of being a media wife instead of a media whore, occasionally having to smile while doing some things to keep daddy happy, instead of on the street corner selling it to one and all like Felger and Mazz, two unrepentant media whores.

Personally I think this is a full blown 'sit-in' and Gilmore could and would be playing if he got the money he wanted. I think the move to PUP was the Patriots way of escalating in a 'soft power' kind of way. I don't think we see Stephon again for anything but the mandatory minimum games to get his accrued season in, and even then he may just be on the roster but not play. His side doesn't want to risk injury for anything but DPOY-level money and the Pats won't give him that without seeing where he's really at physically, which I think is less than DPOY form due to both after effects of injury and slowing down due to age. It's hard for me to see this one coming to any other resolution.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. None of us really knows.
What is it 6 games mandatory sitting out on pup? Im sure by then he'll be ready. If we dont see him on the field shortly thereafter, then your guess is probably right that its only about the contract.

that sucks

Friends, haven’t you seen the writing on the wall?

Gilmore’s time as a premier corner is over. He was amazing. But that was in the past.

He’s 30 now. Even at 29 he didn’t look so good. Do you remember what Revis looked like at 30/31?

What i’m saying is, you’ll be just fine without him.

I believe the rumors from a year or so ago that said Bill was trying to trade him.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back