PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore on the Physically Unable To Perform List

Who we putting on Cooper the Dallas game and Evans the Tampa game?

Oh Jesus it’s obviously a contract issue. He’ll come off PUP after 6 weeks, “rehab” however many weeks it takes to get to the week you must report to accrue service time, and then he’ll play.

My father the conspiracy theorist thinks that this is all about the contract. But to me it seems like it really is about the injury. Am I naïve?
No you are correctamundo. If you listen to what only the most reliable and plugged-in Pats media have said, its about the injury. He'll be back

Oh Jesus it’s obviously a contract issue. He’ll come off PUP after 6 weeks, “rehab” however many weeks it takes to get to the week you must report to accrue service time, and then he’ll play.
Why would the Pats PUP him if that's the case? Why not just let him sit? Because the 53?

"We probably should have spent more time talking about the injury. He is not going to be healthy until at least week 3 or 4."

Big hole at CB and no obvious guy to step up who has shown he is up to it. Doesn’t seem like you would get Mills for this job. Makes the JMac decision curious as well.

I don't think Joejuan Williams has played like a superstar by any means but I would rather see him start at corner than Mills.

This smells funny.... 6 games without #1 CB...

Who will be opposite JC ? Wade?

The Gilmore news is a big-time, unexpected gut punch but they may be able to survive it. 1630453562341.jpeg

Phins, Bucs and Boys have the best WR corps. It helps that all three of those games are at home.
I personally think that Tua is mediocre plus they catch a break bc Fuller will miss the game due to suspension.
They will probably have to outscore the Cowboys but that is definitely possible, given that the Boys were terrible on defense last year and didn't make that many key additions.
The Bucs.....got to hope that Evans tweaks his hammy week 3.
JC will have his chance to prove that he can be CB1, that's for sure. If he gets injured….Lord help us. The front 7 will also have to get after the QBs. If their opponents have a clean pocket, that will be a problem.

This smells funny.... 6 games without #1 CB...

Who will be opposite JC ? Wade?
Wade was listed as a 4th team CB in Baltimore, which means he was either their 7th or 8th best. His last year in college painted a similar picture. I think he's on the roster for more long term considerations, which is fine since he's under contract for 4 years at minimum salary.

Kind of bothers me he was posturing fit more $$ knowing he wasn’t physically ready to resume his career. Bedard’s take today was correct…don’t give him another nickle until he proves he can still play at a high level

They've known this was coming for quite some time. Makes all the CB shuffling even more interesting.
Very happy that Williams has shown up with improved technique this year.

Lots of sky is falling rhetoric.

Are they better with Gilmore? Duh.

Are they fatally flawed without him? No. They will have to use scheme and design more than simply "hey you shadow that guy". They'll emphasize the remaining player's strengths and try to mask their weaknesses. May mean more zone. May mean more "bend don't break" (which we all know the fantasy guys hate).

It's still a good defense that ALSO has to prove it can defend the TRUE fatal flaw from last year (present even when Gilmore was out then) - run defense.

They’ll weather the storm unless McCourty (34) has lost a step. If that happens, the secondary is screwed. As of now, with a presumably strong front 7, two high level players in Jackson and McCourty should be enough to hold down the fort.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back