PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt has his Top 150 out.

I am hoping they go LB, OL, and at 42 they draft a TE. That kid from Oklahoma could be available and i feel he has a lot of skills. Very athletic. Get the QB later on.

at 42 they draft a TE. That kid from Oklahoma could be available and i feel he has a lot of skills

Andrews? Now that I've read some more about him, apparently he didn't block much at all in college.

All Pats TEs need to be able to be a working part of the OL blocking schemes, so they'd have to start from scratch with Andrews. They did that last year with Jake Hollister and achieved marginal success. But then, Hollister was a UDFA, not a high 2nd-round pick.

If the Pats are going to forego drafting LB, OL, QB, CB, Edge-rusher or safety at #43 for a TE, he's going to need to come in as the full package - proficient blocker as well as receiver.

Andrews? Now that I've read some more about him, apparently he didn't block much at all in college.

All Pats TEs need to be able to be a working part of the OL blocking schemes, so they'd have to start from scratch with Andrews. They did that last year with Jake Hollister and achieved marginal success. But then, Hollister was a UDFA, not a high 2nd-round pick.

If the Pats are going to forego drafting LB, OL, QB, CB, Edge-rusher or safety at #43 for a TE, he's going to need to come in as the full package - proficient blocker as well as receiver.

He can learn to block. I think he's the second best tight end in this draft.

Maybe he can, maybe he can't. I'd rather take Ian Thomas, who has proven that he can block, and also has a stronger athletic profile. I have Andrews pretty firmly behind Goedart, Hurst, Thomas, and Gesicki. I do like Andrews (good name), and he's a good pass catcher, but it all depends on where the value falls.

Don’t like Denzel Ward over Minkah and Derwin James.

I'd take Ward over them, actually. James is maybe debatable, but Ward > Fitz for me. He's incredibly athletic, allows very little separation, and plays with solid technique. He's a superstar in the making. I think a lockdown corner is more valuable than a good safety. I'll put it this way: would you rather have Derrelle Revis, Eric Berry, or Malcolm Jenkins?

Anyway, back to the topic:
Has anyone noticed the sudden rise of LT Joseph Noteboom in the nfl.com rankings? He's #72 on Gil Brandt's top 150 list, and #69 on the (new?) main board, as compiled by Lance Zierlein. He's still however a late-4th talent, #141 as per NFL DraftScout. He seems impressive enough, both physically & athletically, for the LT position, though I'm surprised that he didn't attempt a re-do from the combine of his vertical during his pro day.

He always stood out to me on tape. I think he's rising because he has the movement skills to be a starting LT. He might not be a pro bowler, but he can be a reliable starter. That's very valuable. There aren't a lot of franchise LTs in this draft, although there are quite a few candidates who could develop into good players, so Noteboom is getting a boost. I wouldn't object to him as an understudy here, although I'm not sure he's the talent everyone is hoping to procure.

He can? You're certain of that?

Ebron didn't. Neither did Amaro, Tim Wright, AJ Derby. Even O'Shaughnessy wasn't very good.

In the Pats offense, a TE who can't yet block won't see many snaps at his position until he can. He'll be just another WR - a big, slow one - and likely on the game-day inactive list for the duration of his learning curve.

With Gronk being a "10", the "Second Best TE" in this draft class might be a 3.

He can? You're certain of that?

Ebron didn't. Neither did Amaro, Tim Wright, AJ Derby. Even O'Shaughnessy wasn't very good.

In the Pats offense, a TE who can't yet block won't see many snaps at his position until he can. He'll be just another WR - a big, slow one - and likely on the game-day inactive list for the duration of his learning curve.

With Gronk being a "10", the "Second Best TE" in this draft class might be a 3.

He's far from slow. Still would take the receiving skills from Andrews. We could use that.

Not picking a fight because Andrews isn’t someone I’ve watched but if you’re after someone with receiving skills, why not draft a WR. Isn’t a TE that can’t block just a big slow WR?

Well wouldn't his receiving skills
Still create mismatches especially against a LB? Maybe he can learn to block some.

Well wouldn't his receiving skills
Still create mismatches especially against a LB? Maybe he can learn to block some.

Why not draft Gesicki in that spot then who’s that much more athletic. Like I said, I’ve not seen Andrews and would be looking for more of a Gronk type considering the uncertainty around him - Goedert and Ian Thomas would be my preferences.

Always fine with people making their case though.

Not picking a fight because Andrews isn’t someone I’ve watched but if you’re after someone with receiving skills, why not draft a WR. Isn’t a TE that can’t block just a big slow WR?

To be fair, Andrews is a very good receiver. He has a lot of skills you look for at TE. If he showed more physicality, it would be easy to move him up the rankings. He's a smooth route runner, knows how to get open, and was a productive outlet for Mayfield. He would have different matchups compared with a receiver.

But, if we want a big receiver to work MoF, Seam, or to win jump balls on the outside, someone like Lazard in the 4th / 5th (assuming we fill in those gaps) would interest me more than Andrews in the 1st / 2nd. I haven't seen much buzz about him, but he's more explosive than most big receivers:

upload_2018-4-19_12-29-4.png

Andrews for comparison:

upload_2018-4-19_12-37-45.png

To be fair, Andrews is a very good receiver. He has a lot of skills you look for at TE. If he showed more physicality, it would be easy to move him up the rankings. He's a smooth route runner, knows how to get open, and was a productive outlet for Mayfield. He would have different matchups compared with a receiver.

But, if we want a big receiver to work MoF, Seam, or to win jump balls on the outside, someone like Lazard in the 4th / 5th (assuming we fill in those gaps) would interest me more than Andrews in the 1st / 2nd. I haven't seen much buzz about him, but he's more explosive than most big receivers:

View attachment 20129

Andrews for comparison:

View attachment 20131

I’ve seen Cantrell listed as a WR/TE too.

He's far from slow. Still would take the receiving skills from Andrews. We could use that.

He's far from slow.

For a TE, he's a veritable speed demon.

However, until/unless he learns how to block well, he's not a TE in the Pats offense; he's just another WR - and slower than all the Pats current WRs by a decent margin (pretty much all of whom are also excellent downfield blockers, btw).

I'd take Ward over them, actually. James is maybe debatable, but Ward > Fitz for me. He's incredibly athletic, allows very little separation, and plays with solid technique. He's a superstar in the making. I think a lockdown corner is more valuable than a good safety. I'll put it this way: would you rather have Derrelle Revis, Eric Berry, or Malcolm Jenkins?
Darrelle Revis in his prime or Ed Reed in his prime?

Darrelle Revis in his prime or Ed Reed in his prime?

That's a tough one. If James can be Ed Reed, then maybe I'd take him over Ward, but I'm not sure he's that kind of player. I will say that I still like him enough that I'd trade up for him if he reaches the teens. He's going to be very good, but possibly not HoF level.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back