PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants defense is overrated-let up 351 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Pats wait to play pressure until the second half or do they go after manning right away and hope the DBs can cover Burress, Smith etc? Should be interesting. I dont think they want Manning to build up confidence in the SB.

You bring up an interesting point, because I just cant work Eli out. All through the season he has been erratic and inconsistent. He has been much better during the playoffs and has emerged with the confidence that he should have from four years in the NFL.

BUT and its a nagging but, I still saw evidence of that inconsistency on Sunday. He was fine from the start until about half way through the 2nd quarter, throwing with authority and some accuracy in difficult conditions. Burress had a lot to do with his success though as Plaxico was playing the game of his career and looks like the best receiver in the playoffs as we speak. And then as the clock wound down towards half time, he started playing poorly, rushing his passes, missing his targets and taking on the choirboy in a harem look.

Second half was much better, but once again as the clock wound down his confidence seemed to lag, the incompletions mounted up one after the other. He didnt have the lost look though as maybe he felt that they still had a chance, or (and sorry for being negative) he could always blame Tynes for any loss. During both those periods I was betting with my son as to when his first interception was due. He was lucky on two dead certs that the Packs dropped or slipped on.

So to answer your point - I agree it would be nice to make sure he never gets any confidence or rhythm going, but I would only add that once its there it can just as quickly be removed.

Finally I live too close to NY to escape the Giants mania, and the one thing that has me puzzling the most is the claim that Manning has arrived and has turned the corner towards being a top flight QB (at least they havent claimed elite status yet). I remain to be convinced that he is a game changing QB or leader.

The Defense is pretty good, other than the usual suspects Tuck has had a pretty good season, and I am impressed with Aaron Ross at CB, who I think should have been the backup to Willis on Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Last edited:
Do the Pats wait to play pressure until the second half or do they go after manning right away and hope the DBs can cover Burress, Smith etc? Should be interesting. I dont think they want Manning to build up confidence in the SB.

I think they try to turn this into a shootout early on both offense and defense. The Giants don't have great team speed and this game is on natural grass. The Giants would love to have this be a 24-20 slugfest. The longer it looks like it will be this type of game, the more comfortable the Giants will be.

Turn this into a track meet and the pressure will eventually wear down the Giants and Eli will force a turnover or two in the 2nd half.

I hear ya. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about this Giants defense. We put up 38 points on these guys on the road!! Good lord. They had 1 sack. Let's settle down with these guys. Jacksonville and San Diego had better defenses than these guys.

Jacksonville and San Diego were infinitely better teams than the Giants.

Were they wrong? It wasn't the same romp that we seen in week 2. Brady even threw 3 picks this time around. Playoffs is a whole other story. Our D the first 2 weeks was getting familiar to Spag's schemes. Now they're more experienced and more familiar with it.

They still won,and your right this is the playoffs..Brady 13-2 with 3 superbowl victories 2 MVP's to Eli's 2-2 record in the post season.
Bill Belichick's playoff record is untouchable,I like our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back