PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting to Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk17

Rookie
Reaction score
G'day Patsfans. I'm sure this one has been asked many times, so apologies if it's a tired old question. But I'm going to be a first time visitor to Gillette later in the season and I want to ask opinions on the best way to get there from downtown Boston? At this stage I'm planning on catching the train to either Sharon or Mansfield and then getting a cab from there......unless anyone has a better plan??? (I'm not taking the Patriots train as I want to be there extra early). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Simon.

@Hawk17 :

I found a couple of relatively recent (i.e., 2016) threads that may help answer your questions.

Transport to Gillette Stadium + Tailgate questions

Heading to my first pats game in December!

Enjoy the game!!!!!!!

edit to add: here are a couple more, older threads on the subject:

Advice for Gameday and Patriots Place

Advice on what fans making their first visit to Gillette can expect
Worse than London.

Best team, Best coach, Best QB, worst uniforms & logo, worst traffic.

The Pats have always been like me. All, or nothing.

Arriving early by cab or Uber is a smart move as (as someone above pointed out) the train before the game is inconsistent, often arriving just before, just as, or just after, the game starts, leaving no time for tailgating or even enjoying a walk around Gillette stadium.

May I suggest, however, that you think about taking the train back to downtown Boston (South Station) as it will be difficult for a cab or Uber to pick you up after the game, when (if the game has been close and everybody stays until the end) the traffic jam is unbelievable.

Just this past week I did see signs after the game for Uber directing folks to walk south of the stadium past the Bass Pro Shop, then I don't know where to meet. You were still looking at lots of traffic doing this. You would need to buy your ticket in advance, as there is no station at the game. Not sure if you would have to pay for round-trip and eat the cost of the trip in.

Can you rent your own car for the day? That might be cheaper in the end, and you can arrive early, tailgate with the best of them, then get back to your hotel at your leisure. If you do this, however, do NOT park in a stadium lot (unless you plan to tailgate after the game. It takes hours to get out, lots of times fighting with drunks who are trying to merge into that same small spot as you). Go to one on Rte. 1 and make sure you are either able to make a right turn going in the direction you want AFTER the game, or go to a lot that advertises "EASY OUT" with a cop to stop traffic so you can take a left.

If you are staying in Boston, you want to park north of the stadium, and be able to turn right (same side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) when you leave, or left (opposite side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) with a state cop that stops the traffic and allows folks to turn out of the lot.

If you are coming real early (for a one o'clock game leave at 9:00 a.m.; for a 4:15 game leave at least 4 hours before, if not earlier) your driver (or you) should be okay taking you down Route 93 South to 95 South to Rte. 1 to the stadium. See how close the state cops will allow you to get to the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Pro Shop if you are getting dropped off.

If you are driving yourself, try parking at Lot 33 on Rte. 1 south ($50), my favorite, and a short walk down Rte. 1 that leaves you on the correct side of the stadium (the north side) to enjoy the Patriots Hall of Fame, the Pro Shop and Patriots Place. You can turn left out of the lot onto Rte. 1 north after the game with the assistance of the state cop stationed there.

Another idea after the game instead of tailgating (if you want to let the traffic die down whether you get a ride or not) is to grab a meal at one of the restaurants at Patriots Place. Try Tavolino (Italian) which does not have a long line if you buzz over there immediately after the game ends.

Sorry for the long-winded response. I have been going to games for many years and have my parking & arrival/departure routines down to a science. Gillette traffic and parking issues can be very overwhelming to the uninitiated. Just ask the Texans. :)

Arriving early by cab or Uber is a smart move as (as someone above pointed out) the train before the game is inconsistent, often arriving just before, just as, or just after, the game starts, leaving no time for tailgating or even enjoying a walk around Gillette stadium. May I suggest, however, that you think about taking the train back to downtown Boston (South Station) as it will be difficult for a cab or Uber to pick you up after the game, when (if the game has been close and everybody stays until the end) the traffic jam is unbelievable. Just this past week I did see signs after the game for Uber directing folks to walk south of the stadium past the Bass Pro Shop, then I don't know where to meet. You were still looking at lots of traffic doing this. You would need to buy your ticket in advance, as there is no station at the game. Not sure if you would have to pay for round-trip and eat the cost of the trip in.

Can you rent your own car for the day? That might be cheaper in the end, and you can arrive early, tailgate with the best of them, then get back to your hotel at your leisure. If you do this, however, do NOT park in a stadium lot (unless you plan to tailgate after the game. It takes hours to get out, lots of times fighting with drunks who are trying to merge into that same small spot as you). Go to one on Rte. 1 and make sure you are either able to make a right turn going in the direction you want AFTER the game, or go to a lot that advertises "EASY OUT" with a cop to stop traffic so you can take a left. If you are staying in Boston, you want to park north of the stadium, and be able to turn right (same side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) when you leave, or left (opposite side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) with a state cop that stops the traffic and allows folks to turn out of the lot.

If you are coming real early (for a one o'clock game leave at 9:00 a.m.; for a 4:15 game leave at least 4 hours before, if not earlier) your driver (or you) should be okay taking you down Route 93 South to 95 South to Rte. 1 to the stadium. See how close the state cops will allow you to get to the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Pro Shop if you are getting dropped off. If you are driving yourself, try parking at Lot 33 on Rte. 1 south ($50), my favorite, and a short walk down Rte. 1 that leaves you on the correct side of the stadium (the north side) to enjoy the Patriots Hall of Fame, the Pro Shop and Patriots Place. You can turn left out of the lot onto Rte. 1 north after the game with the assistance of the state cop stationed there. Another idea after the game instead of tailgating (if you want to let the traffic die down whether you get a ride or not) is to grab a meal at one of the restaurants at Patriots Place. Try Tavolino (Italian) which does not have a long line if you buzz over there immediately after the game ends.

Sorry for the long-winded response. I have been going to games for many years and have my parking & arrival/departure routines down to a science. Gillette traffic and parking issues can be very overwhelming to the uninitiated. Just ask the Texans. :)

Gonna save this. I might visit Foxboro later this year with the 'rover-spawn. ;)

There are buses from Waltham, I hear.

Fiber will be very expensive from Boston...but closer in will be the better move.

G'day Patsfans. I'm sure this one has been asked many times, so apologies if it's a tired old question. But I'm going to be a first time visitor to Gillette later in the season and I want to ask opinions on the best way to get there from downtown Boston? At this stage I'm planning on catching the train to either Sharon or Mansfield and then getting a cab from there......unless anyone has a better plan??? (I'm not taking the Patriots train as I want to be there extra early). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Simon.

Thanks for your responses everyone. It seems like a bit of a nightmare whichever option is taken!
Early is the key though - that's a common theme. I'll just plan to get there early and have a great day watching the Pats hopefully have a big win! Thanks again for making the effort to reply. Much appreciated.

Arriving early by cab or Uber is a smart move as (as someone above pointed out) the train before the game is inconsistent, often arriving just before, just as, or just after, the game starts, leaving no time for tailgating or even enjoying a walk around Gillette stadium.

May I suggest, however, that you think about taking the train back to downtown Boston (South Station) as it will be difficult for a cab or Uber to pick you up after the game, when (if the game has been close and everybody stays until the end) the traffic jam is unbelievable.

Just this past week I did see signs after the game for Uber directing folks to walk south of the stadium past the Bass Pro Shop, then I don't know where to meet. You were still looking at lots of traffic doing this. You would need to buy your ticket in advance, as there is no station at the game. Not sure if you would have to pay for round-trip and eat the cost of the trip in.

Can you rent your own car for the day? That might be cheaper in the end, and you can arrive early, tailgate with the best of them, then get back to your hotel at your leisure. If you do this, however, do NOT park in a stadium lot (unless you plan to tailgate after the game. It takes hours to get out, lots of times fighting with drunks who are trying to merge into that same small spot as you). Go to one on Rte. 1 and make sure you are either able to make a right turn going in the direction you want AFTER the game, or go to a lot that advertises "EASY OUT" with a cop to stop traffic so you can take a left.

If you are staying in Boston, you want to park north of the stadium, and be able to turn right (same side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) when you leave, or left (opposite side of Rte. 1 as Gillette) with a state cop that stops the traffic and allows folks to turn out of the lot.

If you are coming real early (for a one o'clock game leave at 9:00 a.m.; for a 4:15 game leave at least 4 hours before, if not earlier) your driver (or you) should be okay taking you down Route 93 South to 95 South to Rte. 1 to the stadium. See how close the state cops will allow you to get to the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Pro Shop if you are getting dropped off.

If you are driving yourself, try parking at Lot 33 on Rte. 1 south ($50), my favorite, and a short walk down Rte. 1 that leaves you on the correct side of the stadium (the north side) to enjoy the Patriots Hall of Fame, the Pro Shop and Patriots Place. You can turn left out of the lot onto Rte. 1 north after the game with the assistance of the state cop stationed there.

Another idea after the game instead of tailgating (if you want to let the traffic die down whether you get a ride or not) is to grab a meal at one of the restaurants at Patriots Place. Try Tavolino (Italian) which does not have a long line if you buzz over there immediately after the game ends.

Thanks PatsDeb, for making the effort to give me so much detail. I like your advice about getting in early to the north side to maybe then have a look at the hall of fame or the pro shop. It sounds like a real nightmare at Gillette! I'm surprised there hasn't been more done to alleviate the traffic problems...? Hopefully it's a work in progress. I would've thought a lot more public transport would be a good place to start. Anyhow, 1 thing for sure - I'll get in early and give myself plenty of time! Thanks again.

Thanks PatsDeb, for making the effort to give me so much detail. I like your advice about getting in early to the north side to maybe then have a look at the hall of fame or the pro shop. It sounds like a real nightmare at Gillette! I'm surprised there hasn't been more done to alleviate the traffic problems...? Hopefully it's a work in progress. I would've thought a lot more public transport would be a good place to start. Anyhow, 1 thing for sure - I'll get in early and give myself plenty of time! Thanks again.
Unfortunately, there is no work in progress. Gillette is plunked down in the middle of a residential area with an old-fashioned two-lane highway running by it. There is no room to expand or fix anything. We fans just live with it. A winning team makes you put up with a lot, and there is no substitute, in my mind, for watching the game live. I hope you have a great time (despite the traffic woes)!

Does anybody have experience coming in from the south? Is that much different? We'd be driving from Long Guyland.

Unfortunately, there is no work in progress. Gillette is plunked down in the middle of a residential area with an old-fashioned two-lane highway running by it. There is no room to expand or fix anything. We fans just live with it. A winning team makes you put up with a lot, and there is no substitute, in my mind, for watching the game live. I hope you have a great time (despite the traffic woes)!

That doesn't sound good! To repay you for putting up with it, they better keep winning!! No matter how much I'd like to see the games live, I live in Australia, so my trips to Gillette will be rare! But this trip over will be memeorable - all the better if we win! So I'm prepared to put up with whatever the traffic chaos I have to (and I feel sorry for those of you who cop it every home game!)

No one has made any reference to the train to Sharon or Mansfield (from Boston), then catching a cab. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? - good idea or not...? I was thinking of this as my first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes