PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"getting the Mike in there against the slide"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try. BB would never rely so heavily on a thesaurus. :)
Never use one: no need. You'll have to find some other way to compensate for these feelings of inadequacy. ;)

Last edited:
Just to add or comment on @Urgent 's post.

When he says Mike is the middle linebacker he is referring to a 4-3 defensive scheme which could be possible because BB uses both. In my previous post I referred to the Mike as the Strong side MLB which is referring to a 3-4 defensive scheme in which there are 4 LB's.

3-4 Defense:

Jack = Weak Outside Linebacker
Sam = Strong Outside LB
Mike = Strong Inside LB
Will = Weak Inside LB

Found this on Bleacher Report. The offense is in 21 personnel and the defense is 3-4. NFL 101: The Basics of the 3-4 Defensive Front

BTW: Eagle Front is a term used to describe which player has which gap responsibility. In this image you see the Sam linebacker responsible for two gaps.
View attachment 16843

4-3 Defense:
Will
Mike
Sam

This is an image from BR as well. NFL 101: The Basics of the 4-3 Defensive Front
View attachment 16842

The reason I brought that up is because it gets really interesting when you analyze both schemes and the types of players needed to perform either. During draft day you will hear things like "He would be better suited for a 3-4 defense".

3-4 Linemen would be bigger and more powerful but slower than your 4-3 lineman. Conversely your 3-4 middle linebackers may be bigger than a 4-3 middle linebacker or you would only need one big middle linebacker as opposed to two.

In the 4-3 image Chandler Jones would have been your outside DE. So basically trading Jones was a decision bigger than just a player because it also meant thinking how it would impact your defensive personnel across the board.

But back to @K. Dog original question it would be tough for me to answer because I don't know which defensive scheme BB was looking at. It might have been a 3-4 defense because I think that's what he used primarily in the early years. But no matter which defense he is using @Urgent is correct in that BB is basically discussing how he wants his Mike LB attacking a sliding front. I think the 3-4 image illustrates that a bit with the Gap/Stretch comments.

Great shots.
At its simplest, the difference between the 3-4 shot (from behind the defense) and the 4-3 shot (from behind the offense) is that in the 3-4, the weakside defensive end has stood up, from a down lineman to a linebacker stance. If #95 in the upper 3-4 had his hand down, it essentially looks like the D-line in the 4-3, with the right DE (over the left tackle) in the 6-position well outside the left tackle's shoulder.

The 3-4 image illustrates Belichick's comments well. It is a well-chosen graphic. Here you see the tight end and the full back both on the right side of the line. Thus, the Mike has shifted from the center of the line to a spot almost over the right tackle (the right tackle is behind the 4-tech DL # 96).

A very simple way of restating Belichick's statement is: if the offense overloads right, the middle linebacker should take two steps in that direction.

If you watch baseball, it's some analogy to the Ortiz shift, where the shortstop plays between second and first.

Just to add or comment on @Urgent 's post.

When he says Mike is the middle linebacker he is referring to a 4-3 defensive scheme which could be possible because BB uses both. In my previous post I referred to the Mike as the Strong side MLB which is referring to a 3-4 defensive scheme in which there are 4 LB's.

3-4 Defense:

Jack = Weak Outside Linebacker
Sam = Strong Outside LB
Mike = Strong Inside LB
Will = Weak Inside LB

Found this on Bleacher Report. The offense is in 21 personnel and the defense is 3-4. NFL 101: The Basics of the 3-4 Defensive Front

BTW: Eagle Front is a term used to describe which player has which gap responsibility. In this image you see the Sam linebacker responsible for two gaps.
View attachment 16843

4-3 Defense:
Will
Mike
Sam

This is an image from BR as well. NFL 101: The Basics of the 4-3 Defensive Front
View attachment 16842

The reason I brought that up is because it gets really interesting when you analyze both schemes and the types of players needed to perform either. During draft day you will hear things like "He would be better suited for a 3-4 defense".

3-4 Linemen would be bigger and more powerful but slower than your 4-3 lineman. Conversely your 3-4 middle linebackers may be bigger than a 4-3 middle linebacker or you would only need one big middle linebacker as opposed to two.

In the 4-3 image Chandler Jones would have been your outside DE. So basically trading Jones was a decision bigger than just a player because it also meant thinking how it would impact your defensive personnel across the board.

But back to @K. Dog original question it would be tough for me to answer because I don't know which defensive scheme BB was looking at. It might have been a 3-4 defense because I think that's what he used primarily in the early years. But no matter which defense he is using @Urgent is correct in that BB is basically discussing how he wants his Mike LB attacking a sliding front. I think the 3-4 image illustrates that a bit with the Gap/Stretch comments.
OK this just proves how little I really know about football.

I...I can, um, eat popcorn while sitting on the couch at the same time, and still get the gist of the game that's on the TV...

I can lift heavy things...

Never use one: no need. You'll have to find some other way to compensate for these feelings of inadequacy. ;)
I've tried several means already but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Another take.

Belichick is talking about how to defend the an offensive package - specifically where to send the middle linebacker.

He is qualifying that with his opening comment "Even on the play-action stuff."
That means he is about to suggest the best way to run the middle linebacker, recognizing that sometimes in this offense the line will block as if it's a run, but will use a play-action to pull in the linebackers and then throw. The risk here is that the middle linebacker vacates his position, where a receiver (including tight end or running back) could be to receive the play-action pass.

"in 21"
As Tony2046 mentioned, 21 refers to an offensive personnel package. 2 RB, 1 TE. That leaves 2 WR.
A 21 is the standard personnel package of the 80's and 90's. Now three-receiver sets are more common.
Anyway, a 21 package has a tight end and a fullback, so it's a standard package for a run.

"getting the Mike"
Linebackers are typically referred to as Sam, Mike, and Will.
Sam is the strong-side linebacker, which means the side of the line with more offensive blockers. Commonly the extra blocker is a tight end, but could a fullback or extra offensive lineman. The Sam faces the most traffic, and is normally on the front side of the play.
Mike is the middle linebacker. The Mike typically gets the defensive call and aligns the rest of the defense.
Will is the weak-side linebacker, and can blitz or drop into coverage. The play often goes away from the Will, so the Will is chasing from the backside.

"in there on the front side"
This is the direction in which the ball is going. Guards are typically referred to as frontside and backside guards, based on the direction of the play. In a standard 21 package run behind the tight end, the tight end aligns to the right, outside the larger right tackle. The fullback will align to the right, and the running back will run to the right behind the overloaded blockers. What Belichick is saying, then, is to align the middle linebacker over to the right, and prepare to flow to the right at the snap. Get toward the front side of the play.

"against the slide"
Tony2046 presented a nice chart showing a simple slide blocking scheme. No guard pulling, just basic run blocking moving forward toward one side of the field.

"is a lot better than getting a read game"
Not positive here, but I am assuming he means putting the middle linebacker in the more likely spot at the start is better than waiting to diagnose, or read the play, once it starts to develop. If you stay in your normal position and read the play, you have a better chance of knowing where to move into exactly the right spot, but probably too late.

"on the backside where it's still 4 on 2"
So which player is normally on the backside? The Will linebacker. The Will is aligned to the backside of the play, protecting that side. If the Mike waits, reads the play, and heads toward the backside of the play with the Will, there will be two defenders. I think this means there will be four blockers for those two defenders. That would be some combination of full back, tight end, quarterback, and offensive linemen, depending upon the specific formation. Assume that the tight end picks up the strong-side DE, the right tackle and right guard the two defensive tackles, and the center picks up the weakside defensive end. The backside of the play then has the left tackle, left guard, and fullback, as well as the QB. The specific blocking scheme and pick-ups could differ, but you still have eight offensive players around the running back (5 OL, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 QB), so the four defensive linemen can be picked up by four of them, potentially leaving four available blockers on the backside. Recall one of the occasional Patriots runs where the running back sees a wall of defenders to the right, then cuts back around the backside and you see Tom Brady sort of move out in front of him.

So he is suggesting that even if the Mike waits to read the play, he will still be at a disadvantage due to the number of blockers, so positioning the Mike to the frontside is the best plan.
I just know that if I visit Patriot Place and accidentally wander into the locker room area that Bill is going to stop and quiz me on this, and if I hesitate he'll cut me on the spot.

Doesn't matter that I'm not on the team in the first place, you know?

I...I can, um, eat popcorn while sitting on the couch at the same time, and still get the gist of the game that's on the TV...

WTF does this have to do with Pat Patriot and the vile Flying Elvis?

I truly do not know that much but enjoy reading and discussing it. It really is a chess match.

Great shots.
At its simplest, the difference between the 3-4 shot (from behind the defense) and the 4-3 shot (from behind the offense) is that in the 3-4, the weakside defensive end has stood up, from a down lineman to a linebacker stance. If #95 in the upper 3-4 had his hand down, it essentially looks like the D-line in the 4-3, with the right DE (over the left tackle) in the 6-position well outside the left tackle's shoulder.

The 3-4 image illustrates Belichick's comments well. It is a well-chosen graphic. Here you see the tight end and the full back both on the right side of the line. Thus, the Mike has shifted from the center of the line to a spot almost over the right tackle (the right tackle is behind the 4-tech DL # 96).

A very simple way of restating Belichick's statement is: if the offense overloads right, the middle linebacker should take two steps in that direction.

If you watch baseball, it's some analogy to the Ortiz shift, where the shortstop plays between second and first.

Awesome post Urgent. Thanks.

So...what's the over/under on how many anonymous accounts BB has here?

I say 3.

Didn't you watch the CNBC interview? BB doesn't do "Instaface" or anything like that. :)

Excellent football thread guys. Very educational. Thank you.

I've tried several means already but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Plagued as I am with self-doubt, I use a dual strategy:

1) Cultivate a capacity for delusion. Imagine, for example, that all women want you, desperately.

2) Read a lot of Emerson. Start with "Self-Reliance," then "On Experience," then "On Circles."

Ask an English teacher a question. you get an English teacher answer: homework! :)

1) Cultivate a capacity for delusion. Imagine, for example, that all women want you, desperately.

2) Read a lot of Emerson. Start with "Self-Reliance," then "On Experience," then "On Circles."

Ask an English teacher a question. you get an English teacher answer: homework! :)

English was my most hated subject until I fell in love with it but it still gives me a cold shoulder although I've begged for forgiveness many times. I'm left to envy those who have mastered it.

you complete me.jpg

Sincerely.

Stresses to me just how important it is to have your defensive captain (let's face it, it's the MLB) quickly diagnose the play, properly communicate it to his 10 teammates then have all 11 execute their role in the identified package. It also goes a long way to explaining why Belichick readily moves on from players who enjoy skylarking (no natter how physically talented they are). Makes me wonder if Troy Polamalu would have been able to succeed in New England knowing he was given creative license to do as he pleased on the field.

I think that just depends upon how often they are right. I don't think Belichick has a problem with great players going off script if they are doing it selectively and basing it on smart reads of what they are seeing, and I'm pretty sure guys like Bruschi and Harrison have referred to having this kind of leeway. On the other hand I think that's very different than guys like Collins and Jones deciding to freelance to pad their numbers for free agency. It's not something we as fans can readily see but Belichick and Patricia know the assignments and possible reads and can tell the difference between guys freelancing for the team and freelancing for themselves, and I would guess it was directly related to the Collins trade.

Don't feel bad about your knowledge.
Quote from Nick Caserio at the draft press conference:
I mean, here's the reality with college football - the foundation level for a lot of these players is ground zero. You have players that, honestly, you ask them 'What is a Mike linebacker? Who's the Sam linebacker?' and they don't know what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back