PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting around the "no trade of existing players

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
As a fan of our trade-happy drafts trading for established NFL talent has been a real team building move for us in the past. Though the rules prohibit it in this draft what about the old "gentleman's agreement" that would let another team tell us who they want to draft and trade that player for a vet when the CBA is reached?? Will we see this? Will we be a part of it? If you want to trade a 3rd round pick for Ochocinco for example would you not make the deal with the team prior to the draft maybe player-avail dependent? I think the mega deals wouldnt be as easy but a player for a pick may still be possible right? I really dont think we need all that much more youth on the team. We should incorperate some key vets.

Last edited:
As a fan of our trade-happy drafts trading for established NFL talent has been a real team building move for us in the past. Though the rules prohibit it in this draft what about the old "gentleman's agreement" that would let another team tell us who they want to draft and trade that player for a vet when the CBA is reached?? Will we see this? Will we be a part of it? If you want to trade a 3rd round pick for Ochocinco for example would you not make the deal with the team prior to the draft maybe player-avail dependent? I think the mega deals wouldnt be as easy but a player for a pick may still be possible right? I really dont think we need all that much more youth on the team. We should incorperate some key vets.

"The NFLPA charged [team X] and [team Y] with collusion . . . "

Why would ANYONE give up a 3rd round pick for Ochocinco at this point in his career?

Why would ANYONE give up a 3rd round pick for Moss at this point in his career?

Last edited:
I think there's too much uncertainty around this, including the players not being under contract and allowed to do other things. Imagine we come up with a scenario to trade for Ochocinco, but he gets hurt playing soccer, then what?

To start: let's say Robert trades both of New England's 2nd round picks, plus next year's 1st round pick to Dallas for their #9 pick and their 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Everybody makes their picks, the draft is over and at that point Dallas notices that they still have 3 or 4 spots to fill. Well knock me down with a feather . . . you say you need an OG, Safety, ROT and a CB. I might just be able to help you out . . . for say: that imaginary pick for next year. As long as Kraft had Bill on board it would be impossible to prove collusion and, if someone did get hurt before it was completely consummated, you could work out a plan to substitute draft picks or healthy players for any player that happened to be injured. If you can't get in the front door, the back door, the windows are locked, the garage is closed tight, try that turbine on the roof.

To start: let's say Robert trades both of New England's 2nd round picks, plus next year's 1st round pick to Dallas for their #9 pick and their 3rd round pick in this year's draft. Everybody makes their picks, the draft is over and at that point Dallas notices that they still have 3 or 4 spots to fill. Well knock me down with a feather . . . you say you need an OG, Safety, ROT and a CB. I might just be able to help you out . . . for say: that imaginary pick for next year. As long as Kraft had Bill on board it would be impossible to prove collusion and, if someone did get hurt before it was completely consummated, you could work out a plan to substitute draft picks or healthy players for any player that happened to be injured. If you can't get in the front door, the back door, the windows are locked, the garage is closed tight, try that turbine on the roof.

How's Frack doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back