PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: I think Bill is realizing his system doesn't work without high level QB play

If we are being totally real, Watson is likely not going to jail as no criminal charges have really been filed. He at most will get a suspension for a year. He’s 26 and plays at an extremely high level and has succeeded with mediocre supporting casts. He’s someone that is great and you can longterm build around.

If morality is not factored in and it’s 100% about winning. Trading for him isn’t the worst move. Getting a good young QB like Mac plus few firsts is a good return for the Texans and next to nothing for an elite QB even with a suspension incoming.

The question is the morality aspect and whether the fans and organization can stomach it.

Odds are good that he won't go to jail, but there is a chance he will be charged. If he he is charged and there is some credibility to the charges, he could be in for a long suspension. Depending on how much the NFL cares about the current environment, they could make Watson an example. That is why he is toxic right now.

If we are being totally real, Watson is likely not going to jail as no criminal charges have really been filed. He at most will get a suspension for a year. He’s 26 and plays at an extremely high level and has succeeded with mediocre supporting casts. He’s someone that is great and you can longterm build around.

If morality is not factored in and it’s 100% about winning. Trading for him isn’t the worst move. Getting a good young QB like Mac plus few firsts is a good return for the Texans and next to nothing for an elite QB even with a suspension incoming.

The question is the morality aspect and whether the fans and organization can stomach it.

I agree with this line of thinking, though I’m concerned that Watson takes so many sacks and Houston’s offense, even at its peak with Hopkins, was never even very good in PPG. He does hold the ball way too long. Not saying that overall he isn’t still a great QB, but then I start looking at the price tag of his contract and draft comp.

I found stats for the first 17 years and first 12 years of Rodgers career, Brady made more per year on average. And considering that QB's were paid a lot less in the first 5 years of Brady's career, it's telling. On that yearly average, Brady was more highly compensated.
You are forgetting one thing. Brady was a Super Bowl winning quarterback in his second year and this prompted New England to rip his rookie contract and gave him a new one after his second year. Aaron had to go through his full rookie contract as he was behind Brett until 2008. Context is important when looking at the number.

Brady is well compensated to be sure, in fact, any of them are well compensated as compared to mortal folks. However, had Aaron Rodgers won 6 super bowls, can you imagine what he would be asking for his salaries? Brady still took on average, below market deal for a player of his stature. Brady contract through the years

If they believed that in 2020, they believe that now. A Cam Newton who was awful and a rookie QB five games into his career isn't going to change that take.
Sure it is especially with Shula's record in the balance.

Do you believe Bill thought he would only win 7 games with Cam? I don't. I think he thought 10-11 wins.

Here you go grumpy old man

Thanks for the article. It links to Spotrac as the information source, and this is what Spotrac has currently. I believe it is based on how much cash they actually received regardless of what contracts and headlines say. And it would make sense Brady was ahead of Rodgers when that article came out; look at Rodgers 67M payment in 2018. So, both of your are accurate, but that article is outdated (Jan 2017).

Brady’s hit in 2019 was because they couldn’t push that 6.25M down the road by rolling it into an extension, like they usually do. Otherwise it’s in the 16M range again.

1634143114968.png

1634143273012.png

Thanks for the article. It links to Spotrac as the information source, and this is what Spotrac has currently. I believe it is based on how much cash they actually received regardless of what contracts and headlines say. And it would make sense Brady was ahead of Rodgers when that article came out; look at Rodgers 67M payment in 2018. So, both of your are accurate, but that article is outdated (Jan 2017).

Brady’s hit in 2019 was because they couldn’t push that 6.25M down the road by rolling it into an extension, like they usually do. Otherwise it’s in the 16M range again.

View attachment 36594

View attachment 36595

Nice. But inserting the obvious point, 22 seasons compared to 17 seasons. Brady was underpaid (which he signed up to do) for years. It's pretty crazy to see he never made >$20M on the Pats until his very last season when he left.....

Nice. But inserting the obvious point, 22 seasons compared to 17 seasons. Brady was underpaid (which he signed up to do) for years. It's pretty crazy to see he never made >$20M on the Pats until his very last season when he left.....

Oh absolutely, Brady was paid less on average. It’s just hard to tell by looking at contract terms because look at the structures: Rodgers got over $100M combined in 2013 and 2018. A lot of his money is paid in signing bonuses; Brady’s is really consistent year-to-year.

Looking at 2010-2021, at which point both were off their rookie deals, my quick math estimate has Brady making about 20-25M less overall than Rodgers…but Brady was the #1 QB in 2010 so those first few years his market value should have been higher than Rodgers, who had signed his contract before his breakout in 2010.

If you start where Rodgers got his second contract in 2013 (now both are established elite), then it looks like a big difference in 2013-21 of around 45M, or about 5M per year.

Chattering about how Bill wants to win right now and catch Shula not win later. And since they haven't been doing much winning since Brady left he probably is considering a Mac-for-Deshaun Watson trade. LOL

Fast forward to 20:00

If there's any truth to that then maybe it really is time for BB to move on. Gasper tho...
this is such nonsense from the media. I guess its easy to be a talking head nowadays because you can just spew ridiculous theories and not be held accountable. Who in their right mind would trade anything for Watson. And i will go ahead and say it, he is not a special talent. Houston was still garbage when he was there.

see, i can be part of the media too

Because he played longer? If I pay you 10 dollars an hour and another guy 12 dollars and hour and you work 6 years longer than the other , who is going to make more money? Math folks.
Anyone see the fallacy here?

Because he played longer? If I pay you 10 dollars an hour and another guy 12 dollars and hour and you work 6 years longer than the other , who is going to make more money? Math folks.
Manning played 18 years and is still 10's of millions behind Brady in total.

And here's the other bit of it: Brady's rookie deal was WAY cheaper than most QBs, as he was a low-round draft pick. if that had been the rookie deal for a 1st-rounder, Brady would be way ahead of Manning with those three extra years of playing.

When Brady signed his deal in 2005, he signed for 6 years (big mistake). And he was the highest paid NFL quarterback in the league in 2006.

Brady's next deal after 2010 was the biggest in NFL history and with the most guaranteed money in NFL history - both well deserved.

He did give the team a deal on the extension as that one ran out, 14-15, and thereafter it got dicey. I'll absolutely give you that. But he wasn't being paid peanuts.

In what should have been his prime years, Brady was paid like a number 1. Dude was definitely a team-first guy - I give him all the credit in the world, particularly for the second run, where he was paid far less than lesser QB for a couple of years there. but pretending that he wasn't expensive is simply not borne out by the facts. He was on a really cheap rookie deal, then climbed up substantially with his 2nd contract, became the highest paid QB after his 3rd deal - but, as it was 6 years... - then got the biggest contract in NFL history with the biggest guarantee, too.

In what world is that being paid "like a cheaper top-15 QB"?

I think what drives Gasper is not so much that he hates Mac - I think he hates the idea that some pats fans think we are entitled to another historic run and we got the next great qb, no questions asked.

He tries to match the level of overly positive hype with his negatively framed projection. If he said , Hey Mac might be a multiple pro bowl qb who leads the pats to atleast the wildcard round...people wouldnt care...but if he says he'll be the next Andy Dalton - he knows ppl will react because peoples opinion on Dalton are generally bad.

It's low hanging fruit for these guys - keeps them relevant/clicks up.

I like Mac. What would you trade? I'd see if they were interested in: NKeal Harry, Isiah Wynn, Bentley, and/or Godchaux....

Watson has so many allegations I wouldn't trade any valuable picks or players.
A couple firsts and a second or Mac and a first and second. I doubt they want any of our scrap heap guys.

Comments:

a.) No ****, Sherlock....you need an elite QB to win in this league...now moreso than ever...Trent Dilfer and that Ravens D wouldn't win **** in today's league....

b.) DeShaun....great player, but with an owner who has frequented some massage parlors....that would just not work. Social media memes will kill us.....

Here you go grumpy old man
You just showed me their total earnings. Brady has played longer. Not sure why you dont get this. Brady left 60 mil dollars on the table over the years.

You just showed me their total earnings. Brady has played longer. Not sure why you dont get this. Brady left 60 mil dollars on the table over the years.

Divide by number of years they had played to that point. That's how you get the average yearly earnings. Maths

Manning played 18 years and is still 10's of millions behind Brady in total.

And here's the other bit of it: Brady's rookie deal was WAY cheaper than most QBs, as he was a low-round draft pick. if that had been the rookie deal for a 1st-rounder, Brady would be way ahead of Manning with those three extra years of playing.

When Brady signed his deal in 2005, he signed for 6 years (big mistake). And he was the highest paid NFL quarterback in the league in 2006.

Brady's next deal after 2010 was the biggest in NFL history and with the most guaranteed money in NFL history - both well deserved.

He did give the team a deal on the extension as that one ran out, 14-15, and thereafter it got dicey. I'll absolutely give you that. But he wasn't being paid peanuts.

In what should have been his prime years, Brady was paid like a number 1. Dude was definitely a team-first guy - I give him all the credit in the world, particularly for the second run, where he was paid far less than lesser QB for a couple of years there. but pretending that he wasn't expensive is simply not borne out by the facts. He was on a really cheap rookie deal, then climbed up substantially with his 2nd contract, became the highest paid QB after his 3rd deal - but, as it was 6 years... - then got the biggest contract in NFL history with the biggest guarantee, too.

In what world is that being paid "like a cheaper top-15 QB"?
Brady has played 21 years....not 18. So yeah he is behind. His 2010 was highest for about a month. Brady was not number 1 in pay in 06. Only in 2010 and only for a month.

Divide by number of years they had played to that point. That's how you get the average yearly earnings. Maths
Brady made 20 mil more in 3 more years....

In college, sure. In the NFL winning a national championship in college has no bearing on if he is gonna be a JAG or not.

It's why I find it funny that Lawrence and Fields being so called "can't miss" got thoroughly out played by Jones in the CFB playoffs last year

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back