PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Myers: Tom Brady “genuine”, Peyton Manning “uncooperative, control freak”

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate the fact we lost to the Giants twice, I don't have such dislike for Eli that I have for Peyton. Out of the two brothers, Eli comes across as being the nicer Manning, at least to me he is more likable of the two. I have never really had any ill feelings towards him. Peyton on the other hand is a complete jerk !! He was horrible to his team mates , never had time for anyone else, thought the sun shined out of his you know what and yet the media loved him !! Unreal

I think a part of the hero worship for Manning - and for the whole Manning family - comes from their southern roots. The elder Manning grew up in modest circumstances in Mississippi and played for Ole Miss. His professional career was mostly in New Orleans. Peyton and Eli were raised in Dixie and both played at southern schools, Tennessee and Mississippi, respectively. Southerners tend to be loyal to their own, so I don't think there is anything that Peyton could do that would alienate that fan base.
And as Drewski has mentioned, I believe that the worship for Archie stems in part from his pro career being spent mostly on bad Saints teams. He was the lovable loser who gosh darn it tried his best but just wasn't given enough of the talent to match his. Funny that people didn't seem to ask if maybe part of the problem was the QB too.

Last edited:
Archie was no stiff in college. He is in the college football HOF and was voted SEC QB of the quarter century (competition included Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Pat Sullivan, Steve Spurrier). He was a great scrambler and runner - unlike Peyton. He lit up Alabama in a nationally-televised 33-32 loss at a time few games were nationally televised. The Saints were just sad - Ole Miss was a proud program just a decade removed from being a national powerhouse.

I met my cousin for drinks when I was at a conference in San Francisco a few years ago. I don’t see him too often as he lives part time in San Fran and part time in MN. He’s in the insurance industry and he’s actually worked with Brady’s Dad on some ventures. He knows the family well and has met Tom himself a few times.

From what he told me, Brady is a middle class kid who comes from a hard working family and who has never forgotten where he came from.

Sure he’s the GOAT and married to a supermodel but deep down he’s just a regular guy living every kid’s dream and enjoying every minute of it. No one ever gave him anything he didn’t have to work his ass off for and he’s still doing it to this day.

Manning had everyone kissing his ass from day one and his doofus brother actually had the balls to dictate who could or couldn’t draft him. All because their Dad was an overrated stiff who never had a winning season and only had two seasons where he threw more TD’s than Picks.

It really is mind boggling.

Archie was no stiff in college. He is in the college football HOF and was voted SEC QB of the quarter century (competition included Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Pat Sullivan, Steve Spurrier). He was a great scrambler and runner - unlike Peyton. He lit up Alabama in a nationally-televised 33-32 loss at a time few games were nationally televised. The Saints were just sad - Ole Miss was a proud program just a decade removed from being a national powerhouse.
Interestingly, Archie was the number two overall pick in the 1971 draft, while his two sons were the first overall picks in their respective drafts. Probably one Manning achievement that will never be broken.

And as Drewski has mentioned, I believe that the worship for Archie stems in part from his pro career being spent mostly on bad Saints teams. He was the lovable loser who gosh darn it tried his best but just wasn't given enough of the talent to match his. Funny that people didn't seem to ask if maybe part of the problem was the QB too.

I recall seeing an NFL highlights show one time that was called "The Best of the Worst" that he featured prominently in.

That seems to describe Archie Manning to a T.

My late grandfather (grew up on a family farm in Southern Illinois) used to have a saying (which I am sure I am butchering)....

"That little shiny white speck on chicken **** is still chicken ****"

What I have learned here is the folklore will make discussing Archie Manning with my Southern neighbors impossible, as the honor and glory obfuscate reality, like the Marble Man himself.

As much as I hate the fact we lost to the Giants twice, I don't have such dislike for Eli that I have for Peyton. Out of the two brothers, Eli comes across as being the nicer Manning, at least to me he is more likable of the two. I have never really had any ill feelings towards him. Peyton on the other hand is a complete jerk !! He was horrible to his team mates , never had time for anyone else, thought the sun shined out of his you know what and yet the media loved him !! Unreal

Eli definitely seems more down to earth than Peyton.

Maybe it’s just being jilted after years of him lighting my Jags up, but Peyton is less tolerable.

I always respected Brady more, for the simple fact that he seemed to elevate his game on the postseason when the stakes are highest and you’re facing the best of of the best. Peyton....I swear he has a big forehead because he stores oxygen there. No other person would be alive after so much choking like his

I didn't think anything about Archie. I didn't follow college football that closely then (even less now) so I didn't have an opinion.

Then I heard an interview with him on radio the morning of the 2007 SB. I've tried to find it since but I haven't. During that interview he took shots at Fran Tarkenton's selection to the HOF. I couldn't believe my ears at first, but then I saw how PEDton acted and realized that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Eli must take after his mom.

Last edited:
I met my cousin for drinks when I was at a conference in San Francisco a few years ago. I don’t see him too often as he lives part time in San Fran and part time in MN. He’s in the insurance industry and he’s actually worked with Brady’s Dad on some ventures. He knows the family well and has met Tom himself a few times.

From what he told me, Brady is a middle class kid who comes from a hard working family and who has never forgotten where he came from.

Sure he’s the GOAT and married to a supermodel but deep down he’s just a regular guy living every kid’s dream and enjoying every minute of it. No one ever gave him anything he didn’t have to work his ass off for and he’s still doing it to this day.

Manning had everyone kissing his ass from day one and his doofus brother actually had the balls to dictate who could or couldn’t draft him. All because their Dad was an overrated stiff who never had a winning season and only had two seasons where he threw more TD’s than Picks.

It really is mind boggling.
Frame it how ever you want, but the reality is both QBs worked their asses off to achieve their successes. Manning achieved his #1 draft status not because he was handed anything but because he was the best college QB coming into the pros in many years. Manning carried his Colts for a decade plus not because he had silver spoon privileges but because he had talent and drive.

When it comes to analyzing what type of person someone is, I believe you are how you were raised. Clearly Brady comes from a sugary-sweet family patterned after 1950's network TV (we should all be so lucky). Manning grew up in a football family that enjoyed the benefits of the NFL lifestyle but also experienced first hand the harsh realities of that occupation. I have no doubt Archie views NFL employment like many do...Players are slabs of meat who makes owners rich until they become expendable....so cash in all you can when you can. And if you ever have leverage over ownership, use it like the owners use you. The Mannings spawn learned these lessons well and leveraged every opportunity available. Why these guys get criticized for this is beyond me.

Brady has taken a different approach, though I wonder how different it would have been if he didn't achieve financial mega-security they moment he tied the knot. While Brady only asks for 60 cents on the dollar in QB wages, ownership has achieved a ten-fold increase in franchise value during his tenure.

Ranking the Krafts' good fortunes since buying this team:
#1 Building Gillette.....stadium ownership is the foundation that propels franchise valuation
#2 Hiring BB
#3 Drafting Brady
#4 Brady marrying Gisele, who indirectly subsidizes Patriots players salaries

What MVP would be indifferent about wages?

Frame it how ever you want, but the reality is both QBs worked their asses off to achieve their successes. Manning achieved his #1 draft status not because he was handed anything but because he was the best college QB coming into the pros in many years. Manning carried his Colts for a decade plus not because he had silver spoon privileges but because he had talent and drive.

When it comes to analyzing what type of person someone is, I believe you are how you were raised. Clearly Brady comes from a sugary-sweet family patterned after 1950's network TV (we should all be so lucky). Manning grew up in a football family that enjoyed the benefits of the NFL lifestyle but also experienced first hand the harsh realities of that occupation. I have no doubt Archie views NFL employment like many do...Players are slabs of meat who makes owners rich until they become expendable....so cash in all you can when you can. And if you ever have leverage over ownership, use it like the owners use you. The Mannings spawn learned these lessons well and leveraged every opportunity available. Why these guys get criticized for this is beyond me.

Brady has taken a different approach, though I wonder how different it would have been if he didn't achieve financial mega-security they moment he tied the knot. While Brady only asks for 60 cents on the dollar in QB wages, ownership has achieved a ten-fold increase in franchise value during his tenure.

Ranking the Krafts' good fortunes since buying this team:
#1 Building Gillette.....stadium ownership is the foundation that propels franchise valuation
#2 Hiring BB
#3 Drafting Brady
#4 Brady marrying Gisele, who indirectly subsidizes Patriots players salaries

What MVP would be indifferent about wages?
Tom took hometown discounts before he met Gisele. Money is important but that's not what drives him. He wants to win and beating people in competition is a drug. .

In past interviews I've heard with Tom Sr, the mom and I think Maureen the sister, it seemed like Tom was a handful as a kid. Temper tantrums, constant arguing, etc. Nothing abnormal but he had a ton of energy and pent up agressive behavior .

It seems Tom grew up with incredibly supportive parents who did their best to channel his hyper-competitive drive and boundless energy in a positive direction.

Peyton more probably than not was generally aware that he used HGH. Cheater. :)

Archie was a bigger deal in college than Peyton. And Southerners worship college FB.

Yes, it is basically professional football. They all know that once they play for a certain school, they will have a job somewhere within the state. The more impactful they were, the better position they will get. I moved down to the south a few years ago and this was explained to me, rather clearly. Consider it "athlete privilege".

So sexually assaulting a woman in college didn't bother you, but not cooperating for a book was a bridge too far?
Was that 100% a legit story though? Brady has had some issues with controversy (I believe Brady in deflategate). Ive had Colts fans tell me its false, but could be homerism.

Was that 100% a legit story though? Brady has had some issues with controversy (I believe Brady in deflategate). Ive had Colts fans tell me its false, but could be homerism.

It was absolutely a legit story. It's been reported in numerous places, and they've had to pay her more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down