PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: The Ravens are Nevermore Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking on Ryan might not have been a bad decision but he misread the coverage and\or left the ball to far in the field of play. If you know the safety is there that ball has to be right on the sideline where only your guy can get it. Even without Harmon there I don't think the receiver is able to make that catch so really I think it was both.

I credit Harmon more than I blame Flacco. Also, i Torrey Smith dogged it on the play. I think he was in position to try to break up the pass but decided to go for the tackle instead. And a poor attempt at that to boot.

But I was more talking about the decision than the execution.

Hopefully you won't be underestimating them going forward. They had some obvious advantages on the field and some that weren't so obvious that they exploited in the 1st half. We also had some not so obvious matchups go well for us.

Chandler Jones got his ass kicked for much of this game by a rookie tackle. Not expected. But I guess Ngata being handled by Stork/Wendell cancels that out because he was a non factor for most of the game. Brady was able to step up into the pocket to evade the outside guys. Wendell kept his pocket clean even when he replaced the Stork.

Hooman/Amendola. We discussed this prior. The pats needed a 4th option to show themselves. Amendola played like a man tonight. He was one of our most important players in this one.

Edelman's blocking is like a fine wine. Just keeps getting better. He made a block on the Brady TD run that was pivotal.

The Defense got bent over for about 65% of this game. The other 35% they were really good. Run D finally got their **** together late, but the Pass D stiffened up much earlier. Revis was good for most of the game, Steve Smith is an elite competitor. The guy fights for every inch. Makes the people not wanting him here look even stupider. We took away the Torrie Deep ball for much of the game and I think that paid huge dividends.

Flacco is good. He is more consistent than Eli. Larger sample size as well.

I credit Harmon more than I blame Flacco. Also, i Torrey Smith dogged it on the play. I think he was in position to try to break up the pass but decided to go for the tackle instead. And a poor attempt at that to boot.

But I was more talking about the decision than the execution.

Just watched an interview with Flacco from just after the game. He saw the right coverage and thought he could squeeze it in against Ryan and recognized he was the backup. So it was just a poor throw.

Just watched an interview with Flacco from just after the game. He saw the right coverage and thought he could squeeze it in against Ryan and recognized he was the backup. So it was just a poor throw.

it wasn't a great throw, but I am really talking about the decision to call the play to throw there. I felt the ball did float a little which affected the INT. But I also think it was just a great play by Harmon.

it wasn't a great throw, but I am really talking about the decision to call the play to throw there. I felt the ball did float a little which affected the INT. But I also think it was just a great play by Harmon.

The interesting decision aspect would be in regards to the fact that the double team had been to T. Smith vice S. Smith or Daniels (although Daniels did draw some doubles late) most of the night; so the recognition skill of Flacco could be called into question somewhat in throwing deep toward double coverage. The "jump ball" instances in that offense are usually targeted against one on one match-ups like the Browner penalty when they went five wide.

The interesting decision aspect would be in regards to the fact that the double team had been to T. Smith vice S. Smith or Daniels (although Daniels did draw some doubles late) most of the night; so the recognition skill of Flacco could be called into question somewhat in throwing deep toward double coverage. The "jump ball" instances in that offense are usually targeted against one on one match-ups like the Browner penalty when they went five wide.

The thing was that Torrey Smith wasn't actually double teammed on that play in intially. Harmon was actually covering a more shallow point of the field and saw Smith going deep and Flacco moving in that direction and quickly went deep for over the top coverage.

Responses to a few of your thoughts:

Here we go:
  • Never in my wildest dreams did I think this game was going to be a shoot out. I figured the Pats would score 30 plus points (my prediction was 31-20, Pats), but I was shocked about how well the Ravens moved the ball tonight. The weird thing, the Pats were incredible on third down defense tonight (Ravens converted 1 of 9 third downs or 11.1%).
  • On that, I think Joe Flacco is the anti-Manning. He is a mediocre regular season QB and very good post season QB. Yes, his two INTs were throws to the Pats receivers (heads up plays by the Pats each time) but otherwise, he played far better than I thought he would. The problem is for the Ravens is that they will have troubles getting into the playoffs with Flacco, but they certainly can win in the playoffs riding him. Even with the two INTs, he did enough to win the game, but the Ravens defense didn't have the answers for the Pats' offense.
  • I still hate the inconsistency they call PI, illegal contact, and holding. If CJ Mosely wasn't interfering with Gronk on that third down pass on the first drive of the second half, I don't know what PI is anymore. There were other defensive contact calls that were far less than that on both side.
  • Kudos to McDaniels. His play calling was awesome today even with the Pats abandoning the run. It certainly wasn't perfect, but he dug into his bag of tricks and came up with a bunch of things that the Ravens had no answers for. I know he is a lightning rod on this board, but I really hope he doesn't take a head coaching job. Unfortunately, I think tonight might have moved him up on team's list after the game he called tonight.
  • Aside from the 3rd down percentage (33% if you count the 3 for 3 4th downs), that looked like the typical struggles of the Pats defense. However, they gave up touchdowns, instead of field goals, which was troubling. The Owen Daniels pass was simply a good play and the PI by Browner at the goal line didn't give them with much of a chance, but I would have been much more comfortable with a 3-point result or two down there.
  • If you see Flacco's regular season stats, there's a huge difference between home and away Joe, to the point where I suspect Flacco's regular-season inconsistency is a symptom of the lack of lifestyle discipline of the Ratbirds as a whole. I wonder if he isn't a party animal on the road during the regular season (or at least has a girlfriend in most NFL towns) and as a result is just not as ready-to-go come Sunday. For the playoffs, he clans-up good, though, and I was not surprised to see the Ravens strong performance. (This is pure speculation, but it fits with the style of a team for whom the star players over the years have faced ugly domestic violence and murder charges, among the more pedestrian NFL palyer offenses.)
  • The current state of pass defense officiating might cause me to give-up NFL football after Bill and Tom's Excellent Adventure is over. It's like watching the NBA, where the fouls called are largely arbitrary and the effect is sufficient for reasonable people to call into question the integrity of the game. Worse, the refs have been abyssmal the last few seasons with catching the most basic types of pass interference (hitting the receiver early) when it happens over the middle of the field. If they can't get the basics right, they have no business worrying about new points-of-emphasis. Next year's point-of-emphasis should be getting back to basics and getting the calls right, instead of investing so much energy in interpretive BS about whose handfighting was worse.
  • I think this was the first game that I've been happy to see the every-down pass play since they sprung it on Minnesota on a Monday night ~5 years ago. Quick passes eliminated the strength of the Ravens, their physical front 7 and attacked their weaknesses in the secondary.

The thing was that Torrey Smith wasn't actually double teammed on that play in intially. Harmon was actually covering a more shallow point of the field and saw Smith going deep and Flacco moving in that direction and quickly went deep for over the top coverage.

Or good coverage disguise...for the coaches to know for sure I suppose.

If not for the 2 picks I'd say it may have been Brady's best game in memory.

I must have blocked something out in my absolute physical agony yesterday. I thought Tom only had the one (hideous costly) pick. That came a such a terrible time….we were tied and driving to end the half and getting the ball at the beginning on the second half and I may throw up just remembering it.

I can't remember a game in which we fell down by 14 twice and just refused to give in. I was not surprised to find out that it was because it never happened before. I was SO deflated in the second half when they went up by 14 again. Like everyone here, I thought we handled the Ravens defense pretty handily but I was appalled at the defensive effort. Flacco moved the ball at will at times. Did they even get a second down in the first drive? They just executed perfectly and we seemed about a step behind on everything.

I wanted to string the refs up but like someone (Ken?) mentioned hopefully we got some non-calls in our favor as well because the Gronk PI was EGREGIOUS and then they went and called the Revis one which was not. I was frothing at that point. Ugh, this game at 4:30! I didn't eat dinner and then was flabbergasted to see it was 8:00 at the end and I had nothing to eat because who the heck could think about food. My pulse was racing, I was fidgety and felt like puking and my 8 year old son kept saying "WHAT IF WE LOSE, MOM? ARE WE KICKED OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS? ARE WE GONNA LOSE, MOM?"

Please lord, let the game next week be easier.

Lots of big plays out there yesterday, but one that has gone largely overlooked was Edelman's block on Brady's rushing TD. Two guys who made plenty of other big plays, working together to tough out 7 points, when things were looking pretty bleak. Edelman was sandwiched and managed to block-out two defenders while drawing the attention of a third long enough for Tommy to run it in and spike the ball.

I must have blocked something out in my absolute physical agony yesterday. I thought Tom only had the one (hideous costly) pick. That came a such a terrible time….we were tied and driving to end the half and getting the ball at the beginning on the second half and I may throw up just remembering it.

I can't remember a game in which we fell down by 14 twice and just refused to give in. I was not surprised to find out that it was because it never happened before. I was SO deflated in the second half when they went up by 14 again. Like everyone here, I thought we handled the Ravens defense pretty handily but I was appalled at the defensive effort. Flacco moved the ball at will at times. Did they even get a second down in the first drive? They just executed perfectly and we seemed about a step behind on everything.

I wanted to string the refs up but like someone (Ken?) mentioned hopefully we got some non-calls in our favor as well because the Gronk PI was EGREGIOUS and then they went and called the Revis one which was not. I was frothing at that point. Ugh, this game at 4:30! I didn't eat dinner and then was flabbergasted to see it was 8:00 at the end and I had nothing to eat because who the heck could think about food. My pulse was racing, I was fidgety and felt like puking and my 8 year old son kept saying "WHAT IF WE LOSE, MOM? ARE WE KICKED OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS? ARE WE GONNA LOSE, MOM?"

Please lord, let the game next week be easier.

I'm blaming the Pats poor play early in the game on rust. They were basically off for three weeks with the meaningless last game. I thought the team got stronger as the game went on. Tell that little angel of yours not to worry.

A lot of respect for the Ravens, they played a great game and proved to be a tough challenge. Our defense is going to have to play better for us to keep going forward. I am surprised that we didn't see more of Ayers, with our lack of pass rush and definitely surprised that we had a hard time stopping the run.

I think Solder and Vollmer played great. When Brady was getting a lot of pressure, it seemed to always be from the interior rush (specifically Kline and Wendel). I really hope that Stork is ready to go next week. Not holding my breath though.

He did a good job reading Flacco's eyes but really that's a play the safety has to make.

This game should not of been this close. Without taking away how well the Ravens offense played...the Revis PI was complete BS that led to 7 points to end the half and then the non call on the Gronk play that killed our first drive of the 2nd half. That was the 14 point swing. This thing should of been 28/35 to 17.

750x422

What just happened?

I must have blocked something out in my absolute physical agony yesterday. I thought Tom only had the one (hideous costly) pick.

No you're right there was only pick. I meant to say 2 miscues because he also took that sack which pushed us out of FG range when he had time to throw it away. Without that and the pick we're most likely up 17-14 heading into halftime at worst and 2nd half should have been smooth sailing. But if a 14 point deficit is part of what got him to have a 2nd half like that I guess I'll take it :)

D played better in the 2nd half. I'm willing to chalk up the poor play in the 1st half to rust. Hopefully that's all it was.
No, I think it was good coaching by the Ravens noting a Belichick tendency. BB likes to play conservative Rope-a-dope early, feeling out an opponent. Ravens staff exploited that tendency with agressive attacking Offense.

Here we go:

• I am kinda surprised that it took this long into Edelman's career for him to make a pass. I guess it couldn't have come at a better time and maybe in hindsight it might be good that the Ravens didn't think it could have been a possibility of happening. It certainly gives other teams something to think about going forward.
I think it was Julian who was quoted last year as saying that only Brady threw passes for this team. Other than back up QBs the only people who have thrown a pass since 2004 were Kevin Faulk in 2008 and Adam V back in 2004 on the fake FG to Troy Brown on another trick play...

I think it was Julian who was quoted last year as saying that only Brady threw passes for this team. Other than back up QBs the only people who have thrown a pass since 2004 were Kevin Faulk in 2008 and Adam V back in 2004 on the fake FG to Troy Brown on another trick play...

That isn't a play you pull out every week. We see a play like this only once or twice a year in the entire NFL. So you wouldn't expect there to be many passes by anyone other than Brady. I just thought we would have seen it by Edelman before this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back