PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW - Borges says Branch has agreement on contract with other team

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a funny article. The concept that the Saints or Broncos (who I thought did well for Lelie) would set the price the Patriots ask for is funny. The fact that he thinks it matters when Cheyut tells the Patriots they have a deal is funny, given that he also needs to strike a deal on compensation to the Patriots. The fact that he said "While it is true the ``deadline" imposed by the Patriots a week ago is self-imposed and hence could be extended whenever the team wants, the fact they chose to make it public when they normally keep what they had for lunch classified makes it more difficult for them to alter the direction in which this mess is headed." is funny as the deadline wasn't for Branch to be on another team but a window in which he was allowed to find a trade.

Whatever, I just want Branch or equaivalent value as defined by the Patriots.

PatsDeb said:
which will put them in a bad bind if they refuse (after all, they think he is not worth 1st round $$, right?) .

Wrong. The issue isn't that the Patriots don't think he's worth first round money. They've offered him an extension that pays him first round money, starting next year, after his contract expires.

Team Branch wants to be released from his contract and sign another one, pure and simple.

It's a shame Team Branch didn't see this offer for what it is: A way to come back to the team and save face. At this point, I don't think Branch suits up for the Patriots again.

Last edited:
OldEnglandPatriot said:
Rather off-topic, sorry, but this line from that link, talking about the Giants game, boggled me eyes a little: Apparently Gostkowski kicked "a mindroasting 54 yard laser".

AaAAaaaaarghhh... my mind.... It's been.... ROASTED!
kind of an inside reference for some friends, based on their patronage of the failed David Lee Roth radio show. It was an inexplicable pet phrase of Roth's.

To an earlier point, I think its pretty freaking hard to "leave Borges" out of this since the only indication of any sign/trade offer comes from his Chayut-dictated column this morning. I could be proven dead wrong on this, but it seems to me Ron has made clear he has a dog in this hunt.

SamBam39 said:
and of course, borges could just be totally wrong, per usual.
whaddaya mean? Borges was spot on with his analysis of the 2001 draft, wasnt he?

Branch isn't going anywhere. He'll be in the Patriot's starting lineup on opening day against Buffalo.

groundgame said:
Branch isn't going anywhere. He'll be in the Patriot's starting lineup on opening day against Buffalo.
I don't think so anymore, for whatever reason Branch seems to have talked himself into the fact that he's been screwed by the Patriots. That's just how it seems to me, anyway.

Even if this mystery offer materializes, I don't see it as a bad thing. One way or another, it will be nice to put this thing to bed and move on.

Either Branch returns, gets traded, or sits out most of the year. However, I'd like something to be decided today.

Belichick/Pioli are the most-prepared coach/GM tandem in the NFL. They wouldn't have granted Branch the ability to negotiate with other teams without going over every possible outcome, and mapping contingencies.

If Branch does get an offer, the Pats won't be caught off-guard. That is the most laughable thing Borges said in the article. If the offer materialized the Pats will just implement the contingency plan they already worked out.

I think this is a good thing. One way or another, something will be decided soon.

ESPN ticker says it's an AFC team that 'contacted' Branch's agent.
Pats and said AFC team are discussing today...

STAY TUNED!

Drewwho said:

STAY TUNED!
Now that's interesting as the teams I was thinking (Vikings, Seattle, Detroit) are all NFC. The Steelers make a LOT of sense as they need a WR, should draft low and any team trying to repeat could use a spark (not to mention they probably aren't the best team in their division).

NE39 said:
Even if this mystery offer materializes, I don't see it as a bad thing. One way or another, it will be nice to put this thing to bed and move on.

Either Branch returns, gets traded, or sits out most of the year. However, I'd like something to be decided today.

Belichick/Pioli are the most-prepared coach/GM tandem in the NFL. They wouldn't have granted Branch the ability to negotiate with other teams without going over every possible outcome, and mapping contingencies.

If Branch does get an offer, the Pats won't be caught off-guard. That is the most laughable thing Borges said in the article. If the offer materialized the Pats will just implement the contingency plan they already worked out.

I think this is a good thing. One way or another, something will be decided soon.

Spot on! I never believed the Patriots were playing a game here, their offer to let Branch test the trade-waters had no pretense. They'll be prepared.

BelichickFan said:
Now that's interesting as the teams I was thinking (Vikings, Seattle, Detroit) are all NFC. The Steelers make a LOT of sense as they need a WR, should draft low and any team trying to repeat could use a spark (not to mention they probably aren't the best team in their division).
Of all teams, NOT the Steelers!

BelichickFan said:

Rumor is the Bills for two reasons. They need WR help and they want to screw with the Pats!

I guess they are still PO'd over the Bledsoe experiment.

BelichickFan said:

The Steelers crossed my mind, as well as the Chiefs, although I don't know what their cap looks like.

Drewwho said:
Rumor is the Bills for two reasons. They need WR help and they want to screw with the Pats!

I guess they are still PO'd over the Bledsoe experiment.
Bills would mess up the #1 demand, even I don't expect the Bills' #1 for Branch. Maybe we'd have to settle for a #2 and a pick in 2008 or something.

Bills would be fun, with Bledsoe, Milloy and Martin gone the rivalries kind of suck right now. Imagine Branch doing that little wave he did to Squealer fans but in Foxboro to our fans - or Rodney trampling the little guy and him (Branch) not getting up . . . :rocker:

BelichickFan said:
Bills would mess up the #1 demand, even I don't expect the Bills' #1 for Branch. Maybe we'd have to settle for a #2 and a pick in 2008 or something.

None of their WR excite me, other than Evans (who they are not trading).

If I had to pick one WR to get back, I'd probably pick Josh Reed. He has been a disappointment for the most part, but he would be cheap, signed long-term, and seems the type of guy who would fit the Pats system better than most.

I don't want Peerless Price, or to get Andre' Davis back.

It looks and sounds as if he's gone. So long and thanks for all the fish.

All the talk of picks and what have you is all fine and dandy, but what bothers me is: who is going to catch the damned ball this season? Reche Caldwell seems to be turning into exactly the player the Chargers released. Chad Jackson might as well be the invisible man at this point. Troy Brown is a NE football god, and I worship at his altar, but he's 108 years old.

And - I hate this because it squares up with some of what Borges was spouting - Ben Watson might well be the second coming of Ben Coates, but he's still a tight end.

And if Maroney's gone too... Aaaaarggghhh

A week ago I felt we were top five contenders for winning it all. At this point my expectations are falling rapidly.

Drewwho said:

STAY TUNED!

To the Chargers for Donnie Edwards and a good draft pick.

PatsSox363804 said:
The Steelers crossed my mind, as well as the Chiefs, although I don't know what their cap looks like.

PFT did mention the Steelers last week, because I guess Santonio isn't getting it and Cedric Wilson doesn't excite anybody. But they just don't spend big money on WRs. Plexiglass...gone. Ward....lowballed. Got a fair deal, but short term. Hard to see it.

Chiefs could use Branch so LJ doesn't see 8 in the box every play. Hermie is definitely familiar with him, and they have historically made bad trades.

Mangini is not going to pay Branch more than Belichick says he's worth.

Al Davis loves to spend money, has an unhappy Jerry Porter on his hands, and probably has wet dreams about Jeff George tossing bombs to Moss and Branch.

Jacksonville goes into the season with a WR/TE lineup of Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford, Reggie Williams, and Marcedes Lewis. They are in dire need of a top-flight WR.

I hate speculation, yet here I am.

Willie55 said:
To the Chargers for Donnie Edwards and a good draft pick.
I'd actually thought about Edwards and Eric Parker, the Chargers could use the WR for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes