PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Funway Cafe - Going back over a decade now

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJR4884

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Anyone else remember this place? So many good memories there, I am still stumped why they closed down and opened up Stoneforge. A mile away from the stadium, hands down one of the best places to watch a game. Cheap decent bar food, cheap drinks, not a bad seat in the house, and the cafeteria style set up for the super bowl was awesome.

Little late in the season now, but are there any decent places like this to watch the game other than in Patriot Place? I miss tailgating then going somewhere local to watch the game. I need to get back up to Foxboro more often next year regardless of having tickets or not.

Stoneforge is no more it's now the Olive and Mint.

For what your looking for the best I can think of would be Waxy Occonor's. It's not on rte 1 but it's a few miles behind the stadium. Would get you away from the mall but would be a better place to watch sports.

Anyone else remember this place? So many good memories there, I am still stumped why they closed down and opened up Stoneforge. A mile away from the stadium, hands down one of the best places to watch a game. Cheap decent bar food, cheap drinks, not a bad seat in the house, and the cafeteria style set up for the super bowl was awesome.

Little late in the season now, but are there any decent places like this to watch the game other than in Patriot Place? I miss tailgating then going somewhere local to watch the game. I need to get back up to Foxboro more often next year regardless of having tickets or not.

From the little blurb I got on Google, the Owner decided to merge with Stoneforge in 2006. The following link (which appears to be broken right now) is an article on it.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ges-Stoneforge-Restaurants-Opening-Stoneforge

As mentioned, Stoneforge actually closed the facility back in 2010..
Stoneforge closes, Christina's expands

Also, looks like the owner, Michael Intoccia, got himself into some fraud right a few years later..

Foxborough Developer Intoccia Sued by AG for Allegedly Taking Advantage of Sharon Homebuyers

Funway Cafe was a blast in the late 90s/early 2000s. We live 10 minutes from there, and before all of our friends had kids, a big group of us would go there pretty much 2x a month. It was one of the only places in the area (after Four Courts in Dedham closed) that had good live bands. Yes, they were cover bands (although some sneaked in a few originals), but Funway had some good ones.
Most notably, and anyone who spent time in bars in Boston or down the Cape in the 80s or 90s knows this band - Funway had the Catunes about once a month from Labor Day to Memorial Day. After Memorial Day they were almost exclusively down the Cape.
Catunes filled that ****ing place to the gills. That band was phenomenal. Such good times. Not only did Funway have a decent size stage and dancefloor, they also had a room with a DJ and a separate bar.
So, Funway was a really awesome nightspot for the 21-30 year old crowd. They also had a decent sized arcade. But we didn't spend anytime in there - we were there to booze, dance, and listen to the bands...

I do remember that place, didn't it have a club kind of built into it at night? Was fun. IT's now a revolving door of restaurants. I live within walking distance to stadium, so I drive by every day and the restaurants change every 2 years or so.

Yea i knew what happened back in 2006 and that stoneforge closed down. Such a shame, that place was so much fun. I guess now with Patriot Place you have more competition for surviving businesses, but a place like that would have always been successful during football season. Oh well... down here in RI there are a couple good sports bars to watch the games. Just not the same as being down the street from the stadium....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST