• Other

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • But I don't want another WR!

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Breaston is available this year and he isn't a deep threat WR.

Oh, you mean Larry Fitzgerald. You mean the guy that the Cards will franchise next year and the Pats would have to give up two first round picks to get? The guy is going to be 28 the end of next month. You don't give up two first round picks for a receiver one year away from 30 even the caliber of Fitzgerald. There is very little chance of him being a Patriot. If you are waiting for him, you might have to wait three or four years or longer like never.

Like Deus already pointed out, he can't be franchised, so he holds all the cards. Unless he CHOOSES to sign an extension with a team that's obviously going to be near the basement of the league's worst division for at least the next few years, Fitz will have every opportunity to test the market and join whatever organization he sees fit. He's already been the highest paid player at his position for years, and I like many suspect he'll want to join a winner that can pay him a fair deal as well as elevate his legacy. How many other perennial contenders with a HOF QB and cap to spare do you know of?

What makes Fitz such a fun fantasy is that the circumstances seem too good to be true. We'll have a need at receiver with both Branch and Welker FAs, and we'll be the only team in a position to pay him that could offer him one of the GOAT QBs to push him to the heights he always dreamed of. The only problem is the fact he'll likely call for (and deserve) 10 million or more per year. The way we're presently built, we'd be able to afford it without trouble, but that's not exactly the kind of contract we've been known to throw out, particularly to outsiders. But somebody's gotta do it, so why not us? It's the lockout. Why not dream a little?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why do feel that Floyd is "a 6' 5" Deion Branch?"

I'm not really seeing the comparison.

Floyd is not even as close to the player that Rice is, but he can still stretch the field, and offers a viable downfield threat (17.3 ypc)--and at a much lower cost. Branch runs more short/intermediate routes.

i say he's a 6.5 Branch because he's not a true #1 he only had 37 rec and he was the #1 WR on that team for most of the year even Patrick Crayton had over 18 yerds per rec and the team avg like 15 yerds per comp they were the top pass offense in the NFL and he only had 700 yerds on a team that passed for almost 5000

any WR can be a Deep threat if your only going to thrown him the balls 2 or 3 times a game when he's open deep look at Tate he avg 18 yerds per catch but only had 20 rec

Like Deus already pointed out, he can't be franchised, so he holds all the cards. Unless he CHOOSES to sign an extension with a team that's obviously going to be near the basement of the league's worst division for at least the next few years, Fitz will have every opportunity to test the market and join whatever organization he sees fit. He's already been the highest paid player at his position for years, and I like many suspect he'll want to join a winner that can pay him a fair deal as well as elevate his legacy. How many other perennial contenders with a HOF QB and cap to spare do you know of?

What makes Fitz such a fun fantasy is that the circumstances seem too good to be true. We'll have a need at receiver with both Branch and Welker FAs, and we'll be the only team in a position to pay him that could offer him one of the GOAT QBs to push him to the heights he always dreamed of. The only problem is the fact he'll likely call for (and deserve) 10 million or more per year. The way we're presently built, we'd be able to afford it without trouble, but that's not exactly the kind of contract we've been known to throw out, particularly to outsiders. But somebody's gotta do it, so why not us? It's the lockout. Why not dream a little?

I guess I am wrong about the franchise tag. I still think it is a pipe dream to expect him to be a Patriot. He is going to want to break the bank on his next contract (hence why he supposably doesn't want to stay in AZ because they aren't giving him the money). I don't see the Pats getting in a bidding war for him especially since Brady can make average WRs look really good.

i say he's a 6.5 Branch because he's not a true #1 he only had 37 rec and he was the #1 WR on that team for most of the year even Patrick Crayton had over 18 yerds per rec and the team avg like 15 yerds per comp they were the top pass offense in the NFL and he only had 700 yerds on a team that passed for almost 5000

any WR can be a Deep threat if your only going to thrown him the balls 2 or 3 times a game when he's open deep look at Tate he avg 18 yerds per catch but only had 20 rec

I don't know if this team needs a "true #1" WR. They don't need a stud WR to be effective. This team already has so many weapons they don't need a top WR for a target. It would be nice, but it isn't worth getting one at the expense of another position or several positions.

The Pats had arguably the best offense last year with Deion Branch as the Pats' top receiver. Adding a "6.5 Branch" can only help the team. Whether Floyd is an #1, #2, or #3; he brings something to the table that was missing last year - a deep threat. If all Floyd was is a decoy to keep defenses honest, it would be an improvement. The Pats might have beaten the Jets if they had Floyd on the team.

As I said, my preference is a James Jones because he is more versatile with more upside. But I don't know if the Pats need to pay top dollar to Sidney Rice.

I'm sure that IF BB wanted to go after Rice, he would have a set ceiling, and would stick to it....If Rice wants a legacy and has enough money already...(in other words he's not looking to break the bank)the Pats would be a nice place for him :)

I don't see him ending up here as there probably would be another team or two with cap space that would give him A LOT more than BB would....

but, it's nice to dream :rocker:

That's another good aspect of the situation, who would this player replace?

Tate's either going to show up as a deep threat, stretch-the-field guy or not. So if he doesn't, then that's who gets replaced. If he does, then we sit tight for a year and have massive turnover next year at WR, with 2013 looking like the kids plus possibly a free agent.

It is possible that by 2013, if the three kids show up well this year, we don't need to sign anyone. That's not probable but would be great.

Tate's either going to show up as a deep threat, stretch-the-field guy or not. So if he doesn't, then that's who gets replaced. If he does, then we sit tight for a year and have massive turnover next year at WR, with 2013 looking like the kids plus possibly a free agent.

It is possible that by 2013, if the three kids show up well this year, we don't need to sign anyone. That's not probable but would be great.

Good point, I agree. This is also the reason (Tate either going to show up or not) that I really don't see this team targeting a free agent WR this yr. I believe that they will give Tate another year to perform, and also want to see what Price can offer.

But--as Rob pointed out, IF Belichick sees a need for someone to stretch the field more immediately, and already has a good feel for what Tate can offer, they may indeed target a mid-range guy.

Either way, I think we'll be just fine, but I'd love to see what a J.Jones etc could do here with Brady.

Tate was not a #1 WR in college and never will be.

Tate was not a #1 WR in college and never will be.
Well, I wouldn't take what a guy did in college and assume that is his NFL season. Brady wasn't a #1 QB in college. He was behind Griese and Henson.

I think this No 1 and No 2 business of over-rated, and more of fan thing than a coach's reality. Most WRs line up at multiple positions. All we really want is what we have 2001 -2004. A bunch a guys that can run precise routes, run the right route based on reading the post-snap defense, and catch the ball. The Pats play their best games when they utilize a lot of long, move-the-chains, rhythmic machine-like drives.

Pats wont get either of them

Well, I wouldn't take what a guy did in college and assume that is his NFL season. Brady wasn't a #1 QB in college. He was behind Griese and Henson.

Brady was a starter for his junior and senior years.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what Bill Belichick could get out of Roy Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more than some would expect. And the price could be right, too.

I'd be interested to see what Bill Belichick could get out of Roy Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is more than some would expect. And the price could be right, too.

Yikes, Tobias. To each his own, my friend, to each his own ;)

I don't think that Roy Williams of all people would provide us with anything that we don't currently have though. If anything, a downfield threat to keep the defense more honest would help out in many cases, but is not needed (IMO).

I don't see how RW would provide that too much, but I could be wrong. I just see him as more of a possession/ intermediate routes type of guy. I respect just about everyone's ideas/stuff that they throw out there. After all, I have thought that some guys could work here that many others probably did not.

Last edited:
Assuming both are attainable, I would much rather have Rice. Hip injuries worry the hell out of me, so it's certainly not without risk, but it's likely that his problems were due to delaying his surgery until training camp last offseason. Hard to say, really, and he's probably get overpaid, but hey, it's just a hypothetical poll :p

rice is the better wr as far as playmaking, but seeing what brady was able to get out of reche caldwell.....well floyd would do way better, he's a better wr

Yikes, Tobias. To each his own, my friend, to each his own ;)

I don't think that Roy Williams of all people would provide us with anything that we don't currently have though. If anything, a downfield threat to keep the defense more honest would help out in many cases, but is not needed (IMO).

I don't see how RW would provide that too much, but I could be wrong. I just see him as more of a possession/ intermediate routes type of guy. I respect just about everyone's ideas/stuff that they throw out there. After all, I have thought that some guys could work here that many others probably did not.

Over his career, Roy Williams' YPC is equal to Sidney's, and that's while playing on some very poor teams. In a decent offense and with the right motivation, I see him as possibly being more than just a possession guy. I just don't know how fair it is to completely blame his performance in Dallas solely on Roy. Don't forget how Randy's career was going when we picked him up. :)

I'm simply looking at it from a value perspective. Obviously Rice is younger, and has much higher upside, but in terms of player cost vs. possible production, Roy would likely be much cheaper, and would probably play on a 1-year 'prove it' deal, while Rice is obviously going to be looking to get PAID based on his breakout performances w/Favre at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents