PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor Needs the Lions Warmup or Save him for the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, you don't have to look it up to see that Woodhead is faster than Fred Taylor ever was or will be. But I did. From wikipedia:

Woodhead did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine so he had to use his pro day to show his abilities. According to a report on NFLDraftWatch.net, he ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.33 to 4.38 seconds which would have been the second-fastest among all running backs at the NFL Combine in March 2008. He posted the best pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds, the second-best vertical jump (38½ inches) and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds)

Makes you wonder how so many teams missed on this guy. I for one have not seen him miss a blitz pickup yet. I think BJ and he make a great 1-2 punch. Plus, I have them both on my fantasy team and we all know that plays in to BB's decision on who to play :)

Fred ran a 4.32, being taller, heavier, and stronger then Woodhead. So I guess that "ever was or will be" line sounds pretty foolish now :D.
Woodhead is quick in a short/small amount of space. Id still say Fred is faster them in him a straight up foot race.

If Taylor stays healthy it will be him and woodhead as the 2 main backs, with Taylor being the primary back and Woodhead being the change of pace guy.

Belichick will not share your sentimentality. When healthy, Taylor is a weapon that Green-Ellis is not. He'll get carries.

I still don't understand this when people say it.

I'd say we'll see him on thursday, hopefully. When the inactives came out this past sunday afternoon, I wondered with the game on thursday, maybe the logic was "why rush him back, save him for Detroit". He was on WEEI recently for a interview and since the Pats seem to have this unwritten rule of no media appearances if your hurt, it's just a matter of time.

The way Fred Taylor spoke last week to the media, I am willing to predict that we will finally see him on Thursday. How much playing time is another question, but as a huge fan of Taylor I really hope he can be fit for the Jets. He is just unstoppable at times and will just pound the ball . Welcome back Freddie, we need you for the final furlong.

Just guessing. A short turn around is tough on anyone. I would imagine especially on a veteran rb who gets hit every play. May not have been able to recover if he had to play Sunday given his age. Now, he gets to play after a long layoff. And, gets a longer than normal layoff before his next game. I also remember a couple of runs in pre-season against New Orleans and Atlanta where he showed some giddyup. Was hoping we could use him like "Clock Killing" Dillon in 04. We shall see.

In these days of short attention spans, I'm not sure people get just how good a back Taylor has been--1500 yard seasons, always 4+ yds per pop. And his injury history has actually saved him tremendous wear & tear.

I like when BJGE has done too, and think he's a good back for this team. But Taylor is a whole other animal.

In these days of short attention spans, I'm not sure people get just how good a back Taylor has been--1500 yard seasons, always 4+ yds per pop. And his injury history has actually saved him tremendous wear & tear.

I like when BJGE has done too, and think he's a good back for this team. But Taylor is a whole other animal.

Not sure I agree. His last healthy year was 2007 in which he was 31 years old and just hit 2200 or so career carries. My point is that he is just like every other RB that reaches early 30s and 2k carries.

But, when healthy (which is the 99.9% of the problem) he is the same if not better than BJGE

I fail to see how having Fred Taylor back and in fresh football shape is a bad thing. Does anybody with a brain in proper working order object that Green-Ellis, Taylor and Woodhead creates more problems than our current set up? If so you need a brain examination. Getting Taylor back is great news if it eventuates.

Last edited:
I don't think that they should ask too much of him on Thursday, playing too many plays. But I think even a vet needs to knock the rust off and get his body used to game speed and to taking a real hit and recovering.

Honestly if he doesn't play at all vs. the Lions I don't want him trying to be the #1 RB vs. the Jets. I hope he gets 4-7 carries Thursday, tests the foot, takes a hit, gets some confidence, and is ready for 10-15 carries vs. the Jets if needed and after an 11 day rest with more time to prepare a specific game plan.

The added benefit to Fred being healthy is BJGE getting more reps on special teams where he is also very good.

Last edited:
Just guessing. A short turn around is tough on anyone. I would imagine especially on a veteran rb who gets hit every play. May not have been able to recover if he had to play Sunday given his age. Now, he gets to play after a long layoff. And, gets a longer than normal layoff before his next game. I also remember a couple of runs in pre-season against New Orleans and Atlanta where he showed some giddyup. Was hoping we could use him like "Clock Killing" Dillon in 04. We shall see.

Great point about short turnaround games. Which is why it would be a win-win situation if Taylor can come in Thursday and play - - give BJGE and Woody a breather on 3 days rest.

What alot of posters here don't seem to catch is that Taylor is a DIFFERENT type of runner (pounder) at this stage of his career than BJGE (slasher) and Woody (rabbit).

Why the comparisons? It's not an either-or proposition here. Taylor would COMPLEMENT (different from "compliment") the RB mix. That is a good thing all around.

Great point about short turnaround games. Which is why it would be a win-win situation if Taylor can come in Thursday and play - - give BJGE and Woody a breather on 3 days rest.

What alot of posters here don't seem to catch is that Taylor is a DIFFERENT type of runner (pounder) at this stage of his career than BJGE (slasher) and Woody (rabbit).

Why the comparisons? It's not an either-or proposition here. Taylor would COMPLEMENT (different from "compliment") the RB mix. That is a good thing all around.

Woody the Wabbit...Right out of the movie, "Meatballs" :D

Woody the Wabbit...Right out of the movie, "Meatballs" :D

LOL - - I think Danny went to that camp!

BTW, notice you never see Danny Woodhead and Jimmy Fallon in the same room at the same time????

Last edited:
I dont think he will play in either game...we dont need him..just save him for playoffs

Cut the beast! I've had it with all the Taylor talk...the guy is too old and can't take a hit...he doesn't fit the mold with this year's team, IMO.

Cut the beast! I've had it with all the Taylor talk...the guy is too old and can't take a hit...he doesn't fit the mold with this year's team, IMO.

Aside from the part where I don't agree with you (he can take a hit - - his injury is toe ligaments), you have a better alternative for the roster spot?

Neither BJGE nor Woody are big, bruising running backs who are built for cold weather/snow games. Taylor is. I think the Pats are saving him for that situation. And I think you are being shortsighted in wanting to cut him now.

Last edited:
If they have in fact been saving Taylor, this would be the game to ride him, with BJGE coming off a season-high workload against Indy on three days rest.

The Pats have to beat the Lions for the Jet game to mean anything. Play him and worry about the Jets game next week.

This makes about as much sense as Jets fans calling themselves a superbowl winning team because they won in 1968.

I think Taylor has stayed healthy for one full season in his entire career and hasn't done a single thing for the Patriots, except Maroney's indecisiveness made him look like the second coming of Jesus to some of you. Lawfirm has been far superior.

I bolded the key terms in your sentence.

Like I said, no disrespect to Taylor but I don't want to see him on the field unless he's subbing for an injured/winded Lawfirm or Woodhead. You run with the hot hand in this game, and that isn't him after missing over a month.

Neither BJGE nor Woody are big, bruising running backs who are built for cold weather/snow games. Taylor is.

What? Taylor is NOT Adrian Peterson or Brandon Jacobs. Taylor is a speed guy. Built for cold weather? He's spent his entire career in Jacksonville and probably hasnt seen a snowflake in 10 years apart from last season.

Last edited:
F.Taylor is still in the league??? Jesus last time I saw him was on the side of a milk carton.

Need to IR him and let Wood and BJGE take the load. If he does come back all he's going too do is get hurt again....Not worth it imo. Time to retire when you can't stay healthy even for a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots