PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor Needs the Lions Warmup or Save him for the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they have in fact been saving Taylor, this would be the game to ride him, with BJGE coming off a season-high workload against Indy on three days rest.

:agree:This game is critical for FT, I think. Play or its the IR and likely the end of a great career.

I've followed Freddie since he's been in the league and often you have to take what he says with a grain. A few years ago early in the season he had a ripped tendon in his leg. He said publicly that he'd be back shortly, good as new. He missed the rest of the season.

Aside from the part where I don't agree with you (he can take a hit - - his injury is toe ligaments), you have a better alternative for the roster spot?

Neither BJGE nor Woody are big, bruising running backs who are built for cold weather/snow games. Taylor is. I think the Pats are saving him for that situation. And I think you are being shortsighted in wanting to cut him now.

BJGE is a one-cut and go guy which is fine for running in mud and snow. You don't need to be 230lb A. Smith/Dillon type runner to do well in snow.

Let Fred pound and grind to wear down the defense, soften it up for BJGE and Woody.....nothing wrong with having both our feature backs fresh into the 4th qtr when they need to get the yards to run out the clock.....

Taylor can be an effective blocker as well......A fresh Woody on returns with Tate won't hurt either....:rocker:

It's been 8 weeks now.

Last edited:
He was at practice today (did not show in injury report).

This makes about as much sense as Jets fans calling themselves a superbowl winning team because they won in 1968.

I think Taylor has stayed healthy for one full season in his entire career and hasn't done a single thing for the Patriots, except Maroney's indecisiveness made him look like the second coming of Jesus to some of you. Lawfirm has been far superior.

I bolded the key terms in your sentence.

Like I said, no disrespect to Taylor but I don't want to see him on the field unless he's subbing for an injured/winded Lawfirm or Woodhead. You run with the hot hand in this game, and that isn't him after missing over a month.

That's a terrible analogy about the Jets, and you're wrong about Taylor's health, but other than that, great post. :rolleyes:

There are, of course, no guarantees about his potential effectiveness. But the fact that Belichick hasn't IR'd him when he's missed so much time illustrates the potential boost he expects from Taylor, BGJE's "hot hand" or not.

I'm a big BJGE supporter, but Taylor is better than him. They should be a good tandem together anyway.

I think Taylor has stayed healthy for one full season in his entire career and hasn't done a single thing for the Patriots, except Maroney's indecisiveness made him look like the second coming of Jesus to some of you. Lawfirm has been far superior.

Taylor usually gets to sit down the last meaningless games on those 14 and 15 game seasons. The stats are misleading. Ive followed him and the jags for 13 years. But there is still no doubting that he has been hurt for a lot of games.

What? Taylor is NOT Adrian Peterson or Brandon Jacobs. Taylor is a speed guy. Built for cold weather? He's spent his entire career in Jacksonville and probably hasnt seen a snowflake in 10 years apart from last season.
Taylor usually runs GREAT in the cold weather. Ask the Steelers :D He is a one cut north/south runner which makes him good for bad condition running.

He isnt the fastest rb, he inst the strongest, he isnt the biggest, he doesnt make the best cuts/jukes... but what makes/made him such a great RB was because he was very good at everything.

I love to watch Fred run, and have enjoyed it for 13 years. The guy is THE definition of class in the NFL. You NEVER hear of him getting in trouble, doesnt blab to the media for attention, doesnt do crazy celebrations in the endzone..etc. He just quietly runs his way up into the all time leading rushers list. :cool:

I'm a big BJGE supporter, but Taylor is better than him.
At the age of 34, Fred Taylor is better than BJGE? Fred Taylor has hardly seen the field the last two years.

love posting this vid. If you love watching Fred run, then youll love this vid.

That was nice. But I've never seen him run like that for the Pats.:mad:

I do believe Belichick wouldn't be holding the spot without a plan though.

That was nice. But I've never seen him run like that for the Pats.:mad:

I do believe Belichick wouldn't be holding the spot without a plan though.

You hate to have blind faith but this whole situation tells us that BB unequivocally believes that Fred Taylor can make a difference in this offense because if he didn't, he would have been IRed or released by now.

In my mind, I keep playing back the 26 yrd run vs ATL in the pre season. He looked damn good. Broke tackles and showed a good burst.

Last edited:
If Taylor is healthy (healthy enough for him) and ready to go, I don't see how it's a bad thing to put him in against the Lions. It would help both his "football shape" and his cardio. Plus, it gives him a game to work out any kinks when it comes to running effectively on that toe before the biggest showdown of the season.

You hate to have blind faith but this whole situation tells us that BB unequivocally believes that Fred Taylor can make a difference in this offense because if he didn't, he would have been IRed or released by now.

In my mind, I keep playing back the 26 yrd run vs ATL in the pre season. He looked damn good. Broke tackles and showed a good burst.

yup, I feel the same way. Its obvious that someone thinks/knows that Fred is still a great asset to the running game, or he would be gone by now.

Also, remember that 40 yard run he had early this year(maybe against the jets?) that got called back because someone wasn't lined up exactly on the line.... He can still run pretty good, hes just gotta stay healthy.

Last edited:
If Taylor is healthy (healthy enough for him) and ready to go, I don't see how it's a bad thing to put him in against the Lions. It would help both his "football shape" and his cardio. Plus, it gives him a game to work out any kinks when it comes to running effectively on that toe before the biggest showdown of the season.

Nope. I'd bet Taylor wont play, on TurkeyDay. Why? Well he has bad-toe(s) and artificial-turf is notorious for turf-toe.

He'll probably be in the Jets game... IMO

Nope. I'd bet Taylor wont play, on TurkeyDay. Why? Well he has bad-toe(s) and artificial-turf is notorious for turf-toe.

He'll probably be in the Jets game... IMO

Both Gillette and Ford Field have FieldTurf installations. The sole remaining game the Pats have on a natural surface is at Soldier Field.

The Pats have to beat the Lions for the Jet game to mean anything. Play him and worry about the Jets game next week.

Absolutely false. If the Patriots lose to the Lions and win out they should be the #1 seed.

Absolutely false. If the Patriots lose to the Lions and win out they should be the #1 seed.

Yeah, probably. But if the Jets won out too, the tiebreakers would drift down to the murky world of strength of victories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back