PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fourth Down Frenzy

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Going for it on fourth down on your own side of the field has historically been reserved for teams trailing in the fourth quarter when they have nothing left to lose.

That does not apply to the 1 o’clock games today. There have been at least six instances today where teams have gone for it on fourth down on their own side of the field BEFORE the fourth quarter.

recalling my memory from watching red zone the chargers did it twice while the bears, packers, and giants all did it at least once.

I’m sure I’m missing some situations but I only recall the Pats doing this in 09 against the Falcons and 03 in the opening drive of the afc championship against the colts.

teams are definitely playing more based on analytics

Yep. It was only a matter of time, tbh.

Risking a long fg is giving the opp a shorter field, plus you need to have a trully reliable kicker

*insert comment about BB not going for it against Tampa*

Going for it on fourth down on your own side of the field has historically been reserved for teams trailing in the fourth quarter when they have nothing left to lose.

That does not apply to the 1 o’clock games today. There have been at least six instances today where teams have gone for it on fourth down on their own side of the field BEFORE the fourth quarter.

recalling my memory from watching red zone the chargers did it twice while the bears, packers, and giants all did it at least once.

I’m sure I’m missing some situations but I only recall the Pats doing this in 09 against the Falcons and 03 in the opening drive of the afc championship against the colts.

Miami lost because they went for 4th down in their own territory.

Yep. It was only a matter of time, tbh.

Risking a long fg is giving the opp a shorter field, plus you need to have a trully reliable kicker

*insert comment about BB not going for it against Tampa*
I’m not sure trying and failing is proof going for it is wise.

And lo and behold it already came up in the first drive of the Patriots game with the cowboys going for it on their side of the field

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back